Re: newbie question on - usb sync with laptop

  • samir_sood
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
      thank you and excuse my ignorance but could you explain this further.
      thank you

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
      <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

      > I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you
      need
      > this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
      > hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be
      used.
      > I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
      > the network cable.
      >
      > > i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using
      > > usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
      > > recognize the link station. any suggestions would be very
      helpful.
      > > thank you
    • Nicholas Pappas
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
        The LinkStation is not an external USB hard drive, which is what
        you appear to be trying to use it as. It is not meant to be plugged
        directly into another computer via the USB.
        Its a network file server. You need to connect it to your computer
        via an ethernet cable -- generally via a switch or hub. A cable would
        come from your computer in the switch, and another cable would run
        between your LinkStation and the switch. The two can now talk to each
        other.
        What balimbabullabe suggested is a "crossover" cable. This is a
        special ethernet cable to removed the need for a hub. You can connect
        your computer and your LinkStation directly with such a cable (you can
        not with a regular ethernet cable). But if your computer's ethernet
        port is already taken, you'll have to go the switch route.
        You can run a search for some key words on google and probably find
        some really good sites that can explain it better then any of us can via
        a mailing list. Not knowing how much you know about networks, it is
        difficult to explain with only text. Pictures help, a lot. :)

        samir_sood wrote:
        > thank you and excuse my ignorance but could you explain this further.
        > thank you
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
        > <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
        >
        >>I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you
        >
        > need
        >
        >>this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
        >>hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be
        >
        > used.
        >
        >>I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
        >>the network cable.
        >>

        >>>i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using

        >>>usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
        >>>recognize the link station. any suggestions would be very
        >
        > helpful.
        >
        >>>thank you
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bertram Doerfler
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005

          The linkstation is a network device, not a USB device. The usb ports are there to connect usb hardware to the linkstation (like external hard drives, printers,…). As you have a IBM t42 notebook, you do not need a crossover cable, the network port is recognizing what type of connection you have. So, just plug the networkcable that came with your linkstation in the network port of the linkstation and the networkport of your computer and start the linkstation software…

          ernibert1973

          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

          > I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you
          need
          > this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
          > hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be
          used.
          > I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
          > the network cable.
          >
          > > i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using
          > > usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
          > > recognize the link station.  any suggestions would be very
          helpful.
          > > thank you

        • samir_sood
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
            thank you
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
            <ernie73@g...> wrote:
            > The linkstation is a network device, not a USB device. The usb
            ports are
            > there to connect usb hardware to the linkstation (like external
            hard drives,
            > printers,.). As you have a IBM t42 notebook, you do not need a
            crossover
            > cable, the network port is recognizing what type of connection you
            have. So,
            > just plug the networkcable that came with your linkstation in the
            network
            > port of the linkstation and the networkport of your computer and
            start the
            > linkstation software.
            >

            > ernibert1973
            >

            > _____