RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: installing a second webserver

  • Stephen Jungels
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
      You change the pidfile to var/run/thttpd2.pid.  That is done for you by the sed command I gave you
      where it says

          sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/www/" \
            /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf

      That's really all it takes!  Good luck

      --Stephen

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 10, 2005
        thanks. i tried all of this however when i type
        in '/etc/init.d/thttpd2 start' at the end. it says

        Start Services: thttpd2
        chdir: no such file or directory

        can any body tell me where i slipped up? thanks jack.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Jungels"
        <stephen@j...> wrote:
        > You change the pidfile to var/run/thttpd2.pid. That is done for
        you by the
        > sed command I gave you
        > where it says
        >
        > sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -
        e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/www/" \
        > /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
        >
        > That's really all it takes! Good luck
        >
        > --Stephen

      • Stephen Jungels
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 11, 2005
          This error means you did not create the www directory.  For example, in /etc/thttpd2.conf you will have a line like

            dir=/mnt/hda/www

          (That's what it says in my case, yours may be different) This is the directory thttpd will use for web content.  You must create it by typing, for example

            mkdir /mnt/hda/www

          Then restart thttpd2, add content to your www directory, and everything should work.

          Hope that helps,

          Stephen

          <stephen@j...> wrote:
          > You change the pidfile to var/run/thttpd2.pid.  That is done for
          you by the
          > sed command I gave you
          > where it says
          >
          >     sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -
          e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/www/" \
          >       /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
          >
          > That's really all it takes!  Good luck
          >
          > --Stephen

        • jack
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 11, 2005
            thanks. sorted it out and the website works. however the html page
            didnt work. so i chmoded it. and now it works but the pictures dont.
            ive been told to chmod the pictures but when i do that they still
            dont seem to work :S surely i dont have to chmod everything. theyre
            should be an easier way. perhaps not doing it at all or making a
            script that wil do it for me? a little off topic from linkstaion i
            know but any help is much appreciated. thanks. jack.

            <stephen@j...> wrote:
            > This error means you did not create the www directory. For
            example, in
            > /etc/thttpd2.conf you will have a line like
            >
            > dir=/mnt/hda/www
            >
            > (That's what it says in my case, yours may be different) This is
            the
            > directory thttpd will use for web content. You must create it by
            typing,
            > for example
            >
            > mkdir /mnt/hda/www
            >
            > Then restart thttpd2, add content to your www directory, and
            everything
            > should work.
            >

            > Hope that helps,
            >
            > Stephen

          • Stephen Jungels
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 11, 2005
              I wouldn't give up at this point, you've almost done it.  Why it hasn't worked depends on the particular chmod command you used, but running "chmod 644" on all your image files will probably do the trick.

              --Stephen
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                I'm also having problems getting my website to display properly. I
                get the following error:

                403 Forbidden
                The requested URL '/' resolves to a file which is marked executable
                but is not a CGI file; retrieving it is forbidden.

                Unsure what is causing this and know nothing about Linux permissions
                or how to change them. I should add that to test the server I
                created a simple website in MS Frontpage and copied the files
                directly into the www folder. Can anyone shed any light on what
                needs to be doen to get the website to display correctly?

                Thanks

                <stephen@j...> wrote:
                > I wouldn't give up at this point, you've almost done it. Why it
                hasn't
                > worked depends on the particular chmod command you used, but
                running "chmod
                > 644" on all your image files will probably do the trick.
                >
                > --Stephen

              • itimpi50
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                  If you created the files from within Windows then you get the
                  executable (the 'x' bit) set automatically. The easiest way is to
                  get to the relevant directory at the linux level and then type in the
                  command:
                  chmod -x *
                  which will remove the 'x' bit from all files.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah" <b747@o...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                    hi thanks. i chmoded all my image files individually and teh site
                    now works cheers. however it was painstaking. surely there must be a
                    way to batch 'chmod 644' all the files in a directory all at teh
                    same time? anybody know if this can be one? cheers jack.

                    <stephen@j...> wrote:
                    > I wouldn't give up at this point, you've almost done it. Why it
                    hasn't
                    > worked depends on the particular chmod command you used, but
                    running "chmod
                    > 644" on all your image files will probably do the trick.
                    >
                    > --Stephen

                  • prb0x
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jack" <smiledeadboy@h...>
                      wrote:
                      > hi thanks. i chmoded all my image files individually and teh site
                      > now works cheers. however it was painstaking. surely there must be a
                      > way to batch 'chmod 644' all the files in a directory all at teh
                      > same time? anybody know if this can be one? cheers jack.

                      try:
                      chmod -R 644 directory

                      recursive mode.

                      or:
                      chmod 644 *.gif

                      using wildcards.

                      Cheers,
                      Al
                    • Stephen Jungels
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                        Apologies, I would have given you an exact command to run if I knew you didn't know how to use wild cards.  For future reference, you can apply a command to all the jpegs in a directory with, for example

                          chmod 644 *.jpg

                        If you have other types of image files, you need to do them as well, for example

                          chmod 644 *.gif *.png

                        You may have a similar problem with straight html files because thttpd refuses to serve non-script files that have the x bit set, and Windows files you transfer over to the linkstation may have the x bit set.  In this case you would run

                          chmod 644 *.html

                        Try a google search for the exact phrase "man chmod" if you want to see the manual page for the chmod command.

                        Hope that helps,

                        Stephen

                        <stephen@j...> wrote:
                        > I wouldn't give up at this point, you've almost done it.  Why it
                        hasn't
                        > worked depends on the particular chmod command you used, but
                        running "chmod
                        > 644" on all your image files will probably do the trick.
                        >
                        > --Stephen

                      • maeuropa
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 18, 2005
                          Hello!

                          I have installed a second version of thttpd webserver on my box, but
                          I would like to add a login/password to this site. I've read on the
                          www.acme.com site that there should be a password file at the root
                          directory of the site, but I can't find this file for the admin web
                          pages of my Kuro Box. Does anyone know where this file is so I can
                          use it as an example to create a different login/password for my
                          second web page? If not, can someone tell me how to create this? I
                          didn't see any examples of how to do so on the acme site. Thanks in
                          advance!

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "itimpi50"

                        • han320yah
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                            I'd also be interested in doing this. Unfortunately I've no idea
                            how to do it either! Hope someone can offer some assistance.

                            On another subject, I'd like to install Apache as my webserver
                            instead of httpd. Has anyone managed this on the LS2, and more
                            importantly, has a how-to guide on compiling it for the LS2?

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "maeuropa"

                          • Nick Pappas
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                              The LinkStation is running thttpd, which can be read about here:
                              http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/ - I know many have figured this
                              out already but for those who are still looking, there ya go.

                              I looked at the webserver briefly last night, but I have not tackled
                              it for my needs (MySQL + PHP) yet. thttpd does appear to support
                              .htaccess -- you could read up on that and see if that will work out
                              -- the security file mentioned (if they are refering to htaccess) does
                              not exist until it has to, and it is not a human editable file (or is
                              not meant to be).

                              I'll see about trying to lock down a directory when I get my second server up.

                              On 7/20/05, han320yah <b747@...> wrote:
                              > On another subject, I'd like to install Apache as my webserver
                              > instead of httpd. Has anyone managed this on the LS2, and more
                              > importantly, has a how-to guide on compiling it for the LS2?

                              I haven't yet, but this is a thought in the back of my mind. If I can
                              get PHP and MySQL to work well enough for development purposes w/
                              thttpd then I'll ditch my Apache plans. Otherwise, I'll probably look
                              into compiling it towards the end of this week.

                              You can try it on your own. It isn't hard to test things out, if you
                              have never worked with compiling before:

                              1) Download the Apache source code and copy it, via Samba, over to
                              your LinkStation.
                              2) ssh into your LinkStation and uncompress the archive into a
                              directory of your choice.
                              3) Read the quick start install instructions... they will probably
                              tell you continue similar to this...
                              4) type "./configure --prefix=/mnt/hda/usr/local" -- by default Apache
                              will try to install in your root directory, this would be bad.
                              Because of the limited space, you will want to have it installed on
                              your main storage partition -- but you don't have to make that
                              directory in a share.
                              5) type "make"

                              If you get no errors (warning will probably be plentiful) then you
                              have a working Apache build. Type "make install" and *bam*. You're
                              PATH info will not be correct yet, but I haven't found which PATH
                              argument wins during boot.

                              If you haven't compiled before and don't feel comfortable with it,
                              just give me a few days. If thttpd doesn't work out for my needs I'll
                              be hitting Apache.
                            • wedgemusic
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                Thttpd doesn't natively support PHP and the PHP support addon(s) are
                                barely functional. Don't expect to be able to do anything fancy with
                                PHP and MySQL on thttpd.

                                An easier installation for Apache is to create a symbolic link from
                                /usr/local to /mnt/whatever and install Apache in /usr/local as
                                normal. This will keep it in your PATH and conserve space on hda1.

                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
                                <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
                                > The LinkStation is running thttpd, which can be read about here:
                                > http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/ - I know many have figured this
                                > out already but for those who are still looking, there ya go.
                                >
                                > I looked at the webserver briefly last night, but I have not tackled
                                > it for my needs (MySQL + PHP) yet. thttpd does appear to support
                                > .htaccess -- you could read up on that and see if that will work out
                                > -- the security file mentioned (if they are refering to htaccess) does
                                > not exist until it has to, and it is not a human editable file (or is
                                > not meant to be).
                                >
                                > I'll see about trying to lock down a directory when I get my second
                                server up.

                                > On 7/20/05, han320yah <b747@o...> wrote:
                                > > On another subject, I'd like to install Apache as my webserver
                                > > instead of httpd. Has anyone managed this on the LS2, and more
                                > > importantly, has a how-to guide on compiling it for the LS2?
                                >
                                > I haven't yet, but this is a thought in the back of my mind. If I can
                                > get PHP and MySQL to work well enough for development purposes w/
                                > thttpd then I'll ditch my Apache plans. Otherwise, I'll probably look
                                > into compiling it towards the end of this week.
                                >
                                > You can try it on your own. It isn't hard to test things out, if you
                                > have never worked with compiling before:
                                >
                                > 1) Download the Apache source code and copy it, via Samba, over to
                                > your LinkStation.
                                > 2) ssh into your LinkStation and uncompress the archive into a
                                > directory of your choice.
                                > 3) Read the quick start install instructions... they will probably
                                > tell you continue similar to this...
                                > 4) type "./configure --prefix=/mnt/hda/usr/local" -- by default Apache
                                > will try to install in your root directory, this would be bad.
                                > Because of the limited space, you will want to have it installed on
                                > your main storage partition -- but you don't have to make that
                                > directory in a share.
                                > 5) type "make"
                                >
                                > If you get no errors (warning will probably be plentiful) then you
                                > have a working Apache build. Type "make install" and *bam*. You're
                                > PATH info will not be correct yet, but I haven't found which PATH
                                > argument wins during boot.
                                >
                                > If you haven't compiled before and don't feel comfortable with it,
                                > just give me a few days. If thttpd doesn't work out for my needs I'll
                                > be hitting Apache.
                              • Nick Pappas
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                  On 7/20/05, wedgemusic <wedgemusic@...> wrote:
                                  > An easier installation for Apache is to create a symbolic link from
                                  > /usr/local to /mnt/whatever and install Apache in /usr/local as
                                  > normal. This will keep it in your PATH and conserve space on hda1.

                                  Just make sure you 'cp' (not 'mv') files to your new
                                  /mnt/hda/usr/local before you delete the original and create the
                                  symbolic link. I moved a system directory a long time ago and was
                                  most perplexed as to why the move stopped working suddenly and half
                                  the system didn't work (it was because I moved 'mv' outside the path).
                                  :)

                                  You'll still want to double check where Apache installs everything.
                                  Most of it will probably go under /usr/local, but you want to make
                                  sure you keep track of any stray files that will lessen your available
                                  space on your root partition. Although, you'd have much more space at
                                  this point and wouldn't have to worry about it nearly as much.
                                • han320yah
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                    Thanks for all the info. It sounds a little complicated for a
                                    newbie like me but would love to give it a try! If anyone manages
                                    to install it and sorts out any problems, I think many of us would
                                    be very grateful for feedback and installation advice.
                                    Here's hoping!

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                      If you are interested in a second installation of thttpd, there is a
                                      great tutorial at http://www.nslu2-
                                      linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver This tutorial is for the
                                      nslu2 but it directly applies for the Linkstation and/or Kuro Box.
                                      Use htpasswd to generate a new .htpasswd file if you want to password
                                      protect your site. Place the .htpasswd file in the top directory of
                                      your website.

                                      BTW, thttpd is very strict on the folder and file permissions of your
                                      website. Change all of your website files to 644 and all of your
                                      website files to 711 using the chmod command.

                                      Let me know if you have any questions.
                                    • Nick Pappas
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                        Just sat down at home and am going to look at building Apache. I
                                        wrote in to the Apache user group and asked some references on
                                        reducing the footprint of the server and got one reply back. Seems
                                        someone is working on doing something similar and will be posting his
                                        howto in about a week.

                                        Until then, I'm going to play with compiling it... because I'm impatient. :)

                                        A quick backtrack to the "--prefix" vs. symbolic link issue. I just
                                        looked at the PATH again and /usr/local (or anything below it) isn't
                                        in the PATH anyway, only printer information is in /usr/local by
                                        default. Personally, I'd use "--prefix" to point things to someplace
                                        else so you keep the system and anything you install apart. You can
                                        modify the path in /etc/profile accordingly.

                                        Okay - off to compile Apache for the first time. First round, just a
                                        standard compile to see if it will go out of the box.

                                        On 7/20/05, han320yah <b747@...> wrote:
                                        > Thanks for all the info. It sounds a little complicated for a
                                        > newbie like me but would love to give it a try! If anyone manages
                                        > to install it and sorts out any problems, I think many of us would
                                        > be very grateful for feedback and installation advice.
                                        > Here's hoping!
                                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
                                        > <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
                                        > > On 7/20/05, wedgemusic <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                                        > > > An easier installation for Apache is to create a symbolic link
                                        > from
                                        > > > /usr/local to /mnt/whatever and install Apache in /usr/local as
                                        > > > normal. This will keep it in your PATH and conserve space on
                                        > hda1.
                                        > >
                                        > > Just make sure you 'cp' (not 'mv') files to your new
                                        > > /mnt/hda/usr/local before you delete the original and create the
                                        > > symbolic link. I moved a system directory a long time ago and was
                                        > > most perplexed as to why the move stopped working suddenly and half
                                        > > the system didn't work (it was because I moved 'mv' outside the
                                        > path).
                                        > > :)
                                        > >
                                        > > You'll still want to double check where Apache installs
                                        > everything.
                                        > > Most of it will probably go under /usr/local, but you want to make
                                        > > sure you keep track of any stray files that will lessen your
                                        > available
                                        > > space on your root partition. Although, you'd have much more
                                        > space at
                                        > > this point and wouldn't have to worry about it nearly as much.

                                        Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
                                        yourself either.
                                        Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
                                      • maeuropa
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                          There are some guys on the Kuro Forum (not the Yahoo one, but
                                          www.kurobox.com - forum) that have a script for installing a number
                                          of items including apache and php. You may want to take a look at
                                          that.