Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Cool'n Quiet LS... Nice to have: interface to SmartMon

  • Derek Taubert
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
      I do. See post #544.

      etc/init.d/smartd
      etc/smartd.conf
      usr/sbin/smartctl
      usr/sbin/smartd

      Just uploaded to the files section...

      Derek

      On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
      > Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
      > If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for Smartmon.
      > Let me know
      > -Sam.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
      > <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
      > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Question to you: Do you have a source for PPC SMARTmon library?
      > > > -Sam.
      > >
      > > Does the smartmontools sources help you ?
      > > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=64297
      > >
      > > Chano22000
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Frenchy
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
        Hi Derek,

        Got the files, thanks.
        What disk do you have in your box?
        The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the config
        file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:

        -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung

        Do you need to use that option?
        Can you paste a copy of your config file
        -Sam.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
        <taubert@g...> wrote:

        > I do. See post #544.
        >
        > etc/init.d/smartd
        > etc/smartd.conf
        > usr/sbin/smartctl
        > usr/sbin/smartd
        >
        > Just uploaded to the files section...
        >
        > Derek
        >

        > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
        > > Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
        > > If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for
        Smartmon.
        > > Let me know
        > > -Sam.
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
        > > <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "

        > > > Does the smartmontools sources help you ?
        > > > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=64297
        > > >
        > > > Chano22000
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Frenchy
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
          I have installed the SMARTmon suite and dove in all the help files
          to get my feet wet. I new SMART monitoring was a good idea, now I am
          conviced it is really a must have for unatended NAS! It is nice to
          know ahead of time if your disk's going to take a dump with your
          data.

          As far as interfacing AutoFan with Smartmon, the best way is to call
          AutoFan from a smartmon output script. I may write an interface
          script at some point once I have tuned smartmon in my test
          environment.

          Implementing smartmon is quite *disk specific*. Everyone interested
          will need to first tune smartmon to match their particular box.

          The good news is you can already implement the temperature
          monitoring and automated shutdown using the smartmon output scripts.
          What that means is you can affect your fan speed based on disk SMART
          parameters like temperature and when temps is too high you can
          shutdown just as easily.

          Example3 in the SM distro is rather clear on how you can affect your
          system:

          #! /bin/bash
          # This is a script from the smartmontools examplescripts/ directory.
          # It can be used as an argument to the -M exec Directive in
          # /etc/smartd.conf, in a line like
          # -m <nomailer> -M exec /path/to/this/file

          # Please see man 8 smartd or man 5 smartd.conf for further
          # information.
          #
          # $Id: Example3,v 1.4 2003/08/17 09:15:56 ballen4705 Exp $

          # Warn all users of a problem
          wall 'Problem detected with disk: ' "$SMARTD_DEVICESTRING"
          wall 'Warning message from smartd is: ' "$SMARTD_MESSAGE"
          wall 'Shutting down machine in 30 seconds... '

          # Wait half a minute
          sleep 30

          # Power down the machine
          /sbin/shutdown -hf now
          Right now, the best way to interface AutoFand with smartmon is to
          start it (AutoFand start) and stop it (AutoFand stop) from within a
          script that is based on the smartmon output. That script should
          branch to cycle AutoFan within your temperature range or call
          shutdown if temp shoot above your limit. Does that logic make sense
          to you?

          Between you and me, I don't think cycling a tiny fan to cool down a
          *spinning* disk is such a great idea. It will only make you disk
          warmer than possible. My own logic tells me: disk on = fan on.

          Speaking of disk failures and SMART monitoring: manufacturers
          already point out that higher temperature reduce HDD life span (MTBF)

          -Sam.

          <glasseron@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Derek,
          >
          > Got the files, thanks.
          > What disk do you have in your box?
          > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the
          config
          > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
          >
          > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung
          >
          > Do you need to use that option?
          > Can you paste a copy of your config file
          > -Sam.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
          > <taubert@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I do. See post #544.
          > >
          > > etc/init.d/smartd
          > > etc/smartd.conf
          > > usr/sbin/smartctl
          > > usr/sbin/smartd
          > >
          > > Just uploaded to the files section...
          > >
          > > Derek
          > >

          > > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
          > > > Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
          > > > If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for
          > Smartmon.
          > > > Let me know
          > > > -Sam.
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"

          > library?

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Derek Taubert
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
            On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:23:05AM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
            > Hi Derek,
            >
            > Got the files, thanks.
            > What disk do you have in your box?

            root@HD-HLANA09:~# smartctl -P show /dev/hda
            smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
            Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

            Drive found in smartmontools Database. Drive identity strings:
            MODEL: SAMSUNG SV1203N
            FIRMWARE: TQ100-23
            match smartmontools Drive Database entry:
            MODEL REGEXP: ^SAMSUNG .*$
            FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*-2[34]$
            ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: 009 Power_On_Half_Minutes
            OTHER PRESETS: Fixes byte order in some SMART data (same as -F samsung2)

            > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the config
            > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
            >
            > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung
            >
            > Do you need to use that option?

            I don't have to add anything to the command line as the smartmontools database
            figures it out.

            > Can you paste a copy of your config file

            I just use one line:

            /dev/hda -a -n standby -I 8 -I 194 -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

            and then check /var/log/messages every so often. I would like to have
            a simple way to use the e-mail feature...

            Derek

            > -Sam.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
            > <taubert@g...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I do. See post #544.
            > >
            > > etc/init.d/smartd
            > > etc/smartd.conf
            > > usr/sbin/smartctl
            > > usr/sbin/smartd
            > >
            > > Just uploaded to the files section...
            > >
            > > Derek
            > >

            > > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
            > > > Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
            > > > If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for
            > Smartmon.
            > > > Let me know
            > > > -Sam.
          • downlalaway
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
              Just on the earlier note of there mostly being samsungs - I've got a
              WD1200BB caviar in my LS1 (seems nice and quite)
              <taubert@g...> wrote:
              > On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:23:05AM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
              > > Hi Derek,
              > >
              > > Got the files, thanks.
              > > What disk do you have in your box?
              >
              > root@HD-HLANA09:~# smartctl -P show /dev/hda
              > smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C)
              2002-4 Bruce Allen
              > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
              >
              > Drive found in smartmontools Database. Drive identity strings:
              > MODEL: SAMSUNG SV1203N
              > FIRMWARE: TQ100-23
              > match smartmontools Drive Database entry:
              > MODEL REGEXP: ^SAMSUNG .*$
              > FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*-2[34]$
              > ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: 009 Power_On_Half_Minutes
              > OTHER PRESETS: Fixes byte order in some SMART data (same as -F
              samsung2)

              > > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the config
              > > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
              > >
              > > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung
              > >
              > > Do you need to use that option?
              >
              > I don't have to add anything to the command line as the
              smartmontools database
              > figures it out.
              >

              > > Can you paste a copy of your config file
              >
              > I just use one line:
              >
              > /dev/hda -a -n standby -I 8 -I 194 -o on -S on -s
              (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

              > and then check /var/log/messages every so often. I would like to have
              > a simple way to use the e-mail feature...
              >
              > Derek
              >

              > > -Sam.
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
              > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I do. See post #544.
              > > >
              > > > etc/init.d/smartd
              > > > etc/smartd.conf
              > > > usr/sbin/smartctl
              > > > usr/sbin/smartd
              > > >
              > > > Just uploaded to the files section...
              > > >
              > > > Derek

              > > Smartmon.
            • Frenchy
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
                Derek,
                If you don't have a runing email service, you best shot is to direct
                the email output to the linkstation.log file using script "example3"
                <taubert@g...> wrote:
                > On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:23:05AM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
                > > Hi Derek,
                > >
                > > Got the files, thanks.
                > > What disk do you have in your box?
                >
                > root@HD-HLANA09:~# smartctl -P show /dev/hda
                > smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C)
                2002-4 Bruce Allen
                > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
                >
                > Drive found in smartmontools Database. Drive identity strings:
                > MODEL: SAMSUNG SV1203N
                > FIRMWARE: TQ100-23
                > match smartmontools Drive Database entry:
                > MODEL REGEXP: ^SAMSUNG .*$
                > FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*-2[34]$
                > ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: 009 Power_On_Half_Minutes
                > OTHER PRESETS: Fixes byte order in some SMART data (same as -
                F samsung2)

                > > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the
                config
                > > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
                > >
                > > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none,
                samsung

                > > Do you need to use that option?
                >
                > I don't have to add anything to the command line as the
                smartmontools database
                > figures it out.
                >

                > > Can you paste a copy of your config file
                >
                > I just use one line:
                >
                > /dev/hda -a -n standby -I 8 -I 194 -o on -S on -s
                (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

                > and then check /var/log/messages every so often. I would like to
                have
                > a simple way to use the e-mail feature...
                >
                > Derek
                >

                > > -Sam.
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
                > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I do. See post #544.
                > > >
                > > > etc/init.d/smartd
                > > > etc/smartd.conf
                > > > usr/sbin/smartctl
                > > > usr/sbin/smartd
                > > >
                > > > Just uploaded to the files section...
                > > >
                > > > Derek

                > > Smartmon.
              • Frenchy
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
                  yes I have both WD (newer LS) and Samsung (earlier box) so long they
                  keep our data.
                  My main recommendation would be not to use a 7200rpm disk
                  replacement for the 120Gb besides 5400rpm are cheaper and cooler so
                  you may be able to run the fan silent all the time.

                  I am doing some testing with smartmon to get a good handle on
                  Attribute ID 194. I am trying to find a way to integrate a
                  temperature regulation with AutoFan for 5400rpm disk. 7200rpm are
                  too hot not to have the fan high while spinning.
                  -Sam.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

                • Frenchy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1 5:56 PM
                    About regulating fan speed based on disk SMART temperature
                    (SMARTmon)...

                    I am done with the testing.
                    It turns out it is a bad idea to cycle the fan based on disk temp
                    while it is spinning!!

                    - Temperature tests with SMART AttributeID=194 show it is hard to
                    cool down the disk once it has warmed by running the fan at silent
                    speed.

                    - Cycling fan on/off based on disk temperature is not practical for
                    such a small fan with a hot disk inside a small enclosure.

                    - The best way to keep the disk cool is what AutoFan
                    does "DiskON=FanON".

                    - Thus spinning the disk with a low fan is not an option if you like
                    to stay on the good side with all your data. Heat is what kills
                    HDD's. Cooler means longer life.

                    Test results:
                    Buffalo 120Gb/7200Rpm: WD1200BB-00GUA0 - Specs: 20W to start. 8W
                    idle. 1W Standby.
                    Spinning> FanHIGH 30/32C base temp
                    FanLOW +6C in 10mn! (36C and up)
                    FanHIGH only -1C in 10mn!

                    After Market 300Gb/7200Rpm: ST3300831A (hot disk)
                    Spinning> FanHIGH 39/40C base temp
                    FanLOW +4 in 10mn (43C and up)
                    FanHIGH only -1C in 10mn!

                    Now if you are crazy like most of us, be my guest. Use these
                    smartmon strings for your own testing:
                    - - -
                    temp_hda="$(/usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/hda | /bin/grep 194
                    | /bin/awk '{print $10}')"
                    echo 'The disk temperature is '"$temp_hda"' Celcius'
                    # You **need to have smartmon installed** to use the above!
                    - - -
                    There are some real interesting things to be done to integrate
                    smartmon on the LS but that will be different topic for me perhaps
                    later this summer... (watchdogs, shutdown, health test and reports)

                    I will not integrate Smartmon temperatures to cycle the fan on/off
                    while the disk is spinning.
                    Just get your LS to let the disk stop and the fan will go silent. If
                    the disk does not stop see my FAQ in the file section to
                    troubleshoot why the LS keeps writing to your disk.

                    -Sam.