Re: Cool'n Quiet LS... help to test on Debian

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
      Well that could be a giant step forward to install packages easily.
      I believe Debian must be like another linux in that sense,

      - Create rc.d symlinks to AutoFand to start and kill upon
      boot/shutdown
      - Make sure the all paths are correct for the Debian environment

      In general try to use my latest script as I am building in
      safeguards around the uart daemon process (rev:1.2.6).

      For the short term I will post my files in Yahoo files then later
      point to the Wiki. Great way to organize dev. efforts.
      -Sam.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
      <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Sam,
      > Today is not a great day to ask me - I've somehow messed up the
      boot
      > procedure which I just discovered. I tend to install too many
      > packages... and I think it may have been hdparm on top of noflushd
      but
      > that's just wild speculation until I look.
      >
      > Before that its worked fantastically for well over a month now.
      > Basically there is almost nothing you can't do - installing
      anything
      > is as simple as one line - no compiling and many packages can work
      > straight off (bigger ones usually need configuring). Massive
      package
      > database that usually works. Easy to be able to set upa vnc server
      and
      > use as a real computer through a remote desktop. I've even ssh'd a
      vnc
      > link to it from work and used it to vncview other local pcs on my
      home
      > network (there's a more direct way too).
      > Quite a steep learning curve for me (although I use Mepis before)
      but
      > should be no problem if you're building you own progs.
      > Much better than gentoo for not compiling programs that take
      several
      > hours unless you like birch twigs etc.
      >
      > My plan is to set up a webmail server for my email and be able to
      log
      > lots of things (weather, network links I have etc) using cacti and
      > rrdtool. Its all then web accessible.
      >
      > To install go to Wedgemusic's wiki http://frontalot.is-a-
      geek.net:81/
      > Its all there step by step.
      > They're working on trying to install from an update package
      directly,
      > but I did the hardware method of disc out, repartition and then
      untar
      > from a linux box/knoppix disc. 2-3 hours gets you a full up debian
      distro.

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
      > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
      > > I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
      > > learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a
      few
      > > pointers:
      > > - what so good about Debianed LS
      > > - how do I install
      > >
      > > I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool
      for
      > > ya.
      > > -sam
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
      > > <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
      > > > ideas to be
      > > > able to do it too on a debianed LS 1?
      > > > If you dont think its anything a great deal different Ill dig
      > > deeper.
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
      > > <glasseron@y...

      > > type "Versi
      > > > on
      > > don't ha
      > > > ve

      > > period

    • downlalaway
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
        yep lots of upcoming derived linux distros built on Debian - ubuntu,
        mepis (Knoppix I think).

        Look forward to having a go once I get this boot problem out the way
        -it starts and runs for about 5mins with power light flashing. Samba
        even works properly but after five mins it just crashes, switches off
        except the diag led flashing. ssh gets kicked out since its booting so
        have the drive out.

        Know enough to point me to some standard log files to see what's
        breaking down?

        Phil

        <glasseron@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > >
        > > To install go to Wedgemusic's wiki http://frontalot.is-a-
        > geek.net:81/
        > > Its all there step by step.
        > > They're working on trying to install from an update package
        > directly,
        > > but I did the hardware method of disc out, repartition and then
        > untar
        > > from a linux box/knoppix disc. 2-3 hours gets you a full up debian
        > distro.
        > >

        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
        > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
        > > > I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
        > > > learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a
        > few
        > > > pointers:
        > > > - what so good about Debianed LS
        > > > - how do I install
        > > >
        > > > I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool

      • Frenchy
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
          I have add a similar problem. The best way to troubleshoot is to
          turn off from rc.d as many unneeded processes as possible before the
          LS reboots. Don't prevent system daemon from starting.

          Even if you take your disk out, you still have to troubleshoot what
          causes this problem. Above steps.
          Personnally I had this type of outcome when ppc_uartd was not
          running.