Re: Cool'n Quiet LS... porting on Debian

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hi Sam,
      Today is not a great day to ask me - I've somehow messed up the boot
      procedure which I just discovered. I tend to install too many
      packages... and I think it may have been hdparm on top of noflushd but
      that's just wild speculation until I look.

      Before that its worked fantastically for well over a month now.
      Basically there is almost nothing you can't do - installing anything
      is as simple as one line - no compiling and many packages can work
      straight off (bigger ones usually need configuring). Massive package
      database that usually works. Easy to be able to set upa vnc server and
      use as a real computer through a remote desktop. I've even ssh'd a vnc
      link to it from work and used it to vncview other local pcs on my home
      network (there's a more direct way too).
      Quite a steep learning curve for me (although I use Mepis before) but
      should be no problem if you're building you own progs.
      Much better than gentoo for not compiling programs that take several
      hours unless you like birch twigs etc.

      My plan is to set up a webmail server for my email and be able to log
      lots of things (weather, network links I have etc) using cacti and
      rrdtool. Its all then web accessible.

      To install go to Wedgemusic's wiki http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/
      Its all there step by step.
      They're working on trying to install from an update package directly,
      but I did the hardware method of disc out, repartition and then untar
      from a linux box/knoppix disc. 2-3 hours gets you a full up debian distro.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
      <glasseron@y...> wrote:
      > I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
      > learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a few
      > pointers:
      > - what so good about Debianed LS
      > - how do I install
      >
      > I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool for
      > ya.
      > -sam
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
      > <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
      > > ideas to be
      > > able to do it too on a debianed LS 1?
      > > If you dont think its anything a great deal different Ill dig
      > deeper.
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
      > <glasseron@y...
      > > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > 1- Support HW version 2:
      > > > I could make the version suitable for the newer hardware
      > type "Versi
      > > on
      > > > 2" LS boxes). The problem is I don't know the specifics and
      > don't ha
      > > ve

      > > > a test environment.
      > > >
      > > > 2- HDD Smartmonitor:
      > > > Turn on High fan when HDD above 40C.
      > > > Shutdown the box if HDD temp shoots over 50C.
      > > >
      > > > 3- CPU Useage:
      > > > Turn on high fan and blink LED if CPU is maxed out for a long
      > period
      > > >
      > > > -Sam.
    • Frenchy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
        Well that could be a giant step forward to install packages easily.
        I believe Debian must be like another linux in that sense,

        - Create rc.d symlinks to AutoFand to start and kill upon
        boot/shutdown
        - Make sure the all paths are correct for the Debian environment

        In general try to use my latest script as I am building in
        safeguards around the uart daemon process (rev:1.2.6).

        For the short term I will post my files in Yahoo files then later
        point to the Wiki. Great way to organize dev. efforts.

        <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > from a linux box/knoppix disc. 2-3 hours gets you a full up debian
        distro.

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
        > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
        > > I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
        > > learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a
        few
        > > pointers:
        > > - what so good about Debianed LS
        > > - how do I install
        > >
        > > I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool
        for
        > > ya.
        > > -sam
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
        > > <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
        > > > ideas to be
        > > > able to do it too on a debianed LS 1?
        > > > If you dont think its anything a great deal different Ill dig

      • downlalaway
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
          yep lots of upcoming derived linux distros built on Debian - ubuntu,
          mepis (Knoppix I think).

          Look forward to having a go once I get this boot problem out the way
          -it starts and runs for about 5mins with power light flashing. Samba
          even works properly but after five mins it just crashes, switches off
          except the diag led flashing. ssh gets kicked out since its booting so
          have the drive out.

          Know enough to point me to some standard log files to see what's
          breaking down?

          Phil

          <glasseron@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          > >
          > > To install go to Wedgemusic's wiki http://frontalot.is-a-
          > geek.net:81/
          > > Its all there step by step.
          > > They're working on trying to install from an update package
          > directly,
          > > but I did the hardware method of disc out, repartition and then
          > untar
          > > from a linux box/knoppix disc. 2-3 hours gets you a full up debian
          > distro.
          > >

          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
          > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
          > > > I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
          > > > learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a
          > few
          > > > pointers:
          > > > - what so good about Debianed LS
          > > > - how do I install
          > > >
          > > > I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool

        • Frenchy
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
            I have add a similar problem. The best way to troubleshoot is to
            turn off from rc.d as many unneeded processes as possible before the
            LS reboots. Don't prevent system daemon from starting.

            Even if you take your disk out, you still have to troubleshoot what
            causes this problem. Above steps.
            Personnally I had this type of outcome when ppc_uartd was not
            running.