installing a second webserver

  • jack
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
      hi. im trying to install a second webserver and seeing that thttpd
      is already used on the linkstation, i decided using this would be a
      good idea. i would like to store my website in a subdirectory in the
      ftp folder (share) of the linkstation and be able to access it using
      port 81.
      i have been told to do, this i need to:

      - copy the existing /etc/thttpd.conf to thttpd2.conf
      - edit the new thttpd2.conf and change the directory the files are
      stored in, the pid file and the port
      - copy the /etc/init.d/thttpd starting script to thttpd2
      - edit thttpd2 and make it call the thttpd2.conf
      - create a new link in /etc/init.d/rc.2 that launches the thttpd2
      script

      only i dont know the exact location of the website (in the share
      directory) according to the linkstation. i also dont know what a pid
      file is and what its for and what i would need to change it too. and
      i need to know exactly how to make the thttpd2 file 'call' the
      thttpd2.conf file. plus what would i put in rc.2 to make it launch
      the thttpd2 script. sorry still fairly new to linux. any help much
      appreciated. jack.
    • Stephen Jungels
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
        The following should work if you are starting from scratch:

            mkdir -p /mnt/hda/share/www
            ln /usr/sbin/thttpd /usr/sbin/thttpd2
            sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/share/www" \
              -e "s/port=80/port=81/" /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
            sed "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" /etc/init.d/thttpd > /etc/init.d/thttpd2
            chmod +x /etc/init.d/thttpd2
            /etc/init.d/thttpd2 start
        I can't remember for sure, but I think if you have a Linkstation I you need to change /mnt/hda/share
        to /mnt/share wherever it occurs.  Check to see which directory exists on your linkstation.

        To make the second thttpd start on reboot you need something like

            ln -s /etc/init.d/thttpd2 /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S20thttpd2

        Hope that helps

        --Stephen

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
          thanks for the reply.what do i change the number in the pid file to
          tho?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Jungels"

        • Stephen Jungels
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
            You change the pidfile to var/run/thttpd2.pid.  That is done for you by the sed command I gave you
            where it says

                sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/www/" \
                  /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf

            That's really all it takes!  Good luck

            --Stephen

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 10, 2005
              thanks. i tried all of this however when i type
              in '/etc/init.d/thttpd2 start' at the end. it says

              Start Services: thttpd2
              chdir: no such file or directory

              can any body tell me where i slipped up? thanks jack.

              <stephen@j...> wrote:
              > You change the pidfile to var/run/thttpd2.pid. That is done for
              you by the
              > sed command I gave you
              > where it says
              >
              > sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -
              e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/www/" \
              > /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
              >
              > That's really all it takes! Good luck
              >
              > --Stephen

              e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/www/" \
              > /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
              > sed -e "s/port=80/port=8080/" /etc/thttpd.conf > /tmp/sed.$$
              > cp /etc/thttpd.conf /etc/thttpd.conf.old
              > mv /tmp/sed.$$ /etc/thttpd.conf
              > sed "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" /etc/init.d/thttpd
              > /etc/init.d/thttpd2
              > chmod +x /etc/init.d/thttpd2
              > mkdir -p /mnt/hda/www
              >
              > /etc/init.d/thttpd restart
              > /etc/init.d/thttpd2 start
            • Stephen Jungels
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 11, 2005
                This error means you did not create the www directory.  For example, in /etc/thttpd2.conf you will have a line like

                  dir=/mnt/hda/www

                (That's what it says in my case, yours may be different) This is the directory thttpd will use for web content.  You must create it by typing, for example

                  mkdir /mnt/hda/www

                Then restart thttpd2, add content to your www directory, and everything should work.

                Hope that helps,

                Stephen

                <stephen@j...> wrote:
                > You change the pidfile to var/run/thttpd2.pid.  That is done for
                you by the
                > sed command I gave you
                > where it says
                >
                >     sed -e "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" -
                e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/www/" \
                >       /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
                >
                > That's really all it takes!  Good luck
                >
                > --Stephen

                e "s/dir=\/www/dir=\/mnt\/hda\/www/" \
                >         /etc/thttpd.conf > /etc/thttpd2.conf
                >       sed -e "s/port=80/port=8080/" /etc/thttpd.conf > /tmp/sed.$$
                >       cp /etc/thttpd.conf /etc/thttpd.conf.old
                >       mv /tmp/sed.$$ /etc/thttpd.conf
                >       sed "s/thttpd/thttpd2/g" /etc/init.d/thttpd
                > /etc/init.d/thttpd2
                >       chmod +x /etc/init.d/thttpd2
                >       mkdir -p /mnt/hda/www
                >
                >       /etc/init.d/thttpd restart
                >       /etc/init.d/thttpd2 start

              • jack
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 11, 2005
                  thanks. sorted it out and the website works. however the html page
                  didnt work. so i chmoded it. and now it works but the pictures dont.
                  ive been told to chmod the pictures but when i do that they still
                  dont seem to work :S surely i dont have to chmod everything. theyre
                  should be an easier way. perhaps not doing it at all or making a
                  script that wil do it for me? a little off topic from linkstaion i
                  know but any help is much appreciated. thanks. jack.

                  <stephen@j...> wrote:
                  > This error means you did not create the www directory. For
                  example, in
                  > /etc/thttpd2.conf you will have a line like
                  >
                  > dir=/mnt/hda/www
                  >
                  > (That's what it says in my case, yours may be different) This is
                  the
                  > directory thttpd will use for web content. You must create it by
                  typing,
                  > for example
                  >
                  > mkdir /mnt/hda/www
                  >
                  > Then restart thttpd2, add content to your www directory, and
                  everything
                  > should work.
                  >

                  > Hope that helps,
                  >
                  > Stephen

                • Stephen Jungels
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 11, 2005
                    I wouldn't give up at this point, you've almost done it.  Why it hasn't worked depends on the particular chmod command you used, but running "chmod 644" on all your image files will probably do the trick.

                    --Stephen
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                      I'm also having problems getting my website to display properly. I
                      get the following error:

                      403 Forbidden
                      The requested URL '/' resolves to a file which is marked executable
                      but is not a CGI file; retrieving it is forbidden.

                      Unsure what is causing this and know nothing about Linux permissions
                      or how to change them. I should add that to test the server I
                      created a simple website in MS Frontpage and copied the files
                      directly into the www folder. Can anyone shed any light on what
                      needs to be doen to get the website to display correctly?

                      Thanks

                      <stephen@j...> wrote:
                      > I wouldn't give up at this point, you've almost done it. Why it
                      hasn't
                      > worked depends on the particular chmod command you used, but
                      running "chmod
                      > 644" on all your image files will probably do the trick.
                      >
                      > --Stephen

                    • itimpi50
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                        If you created the files from within Windows then you get the
                        executable (the 'x' bit) set automatically. The easiest way is to
                        get to the relevant directory at the linux level and then type in the
                        command:
                        chmod -x *
                        which will remove the 'x' bit from all files.

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah" <b747@o...>

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                          hi thanks. i chmoded all my image files individually and teh site
                          now works cheers. however it was painstaking. surely there must be a
                          way to batch 'chmod 644' all the files in a directory all at teh
                          same time? anybody know if this can be one? cheers jack.

                          <stephen@j...> wrote:
                          > I wouldn't give up at this point, you've almost done it. Why it
                          hasn't
                          > worked depends on the particular chmod command you used, but
                          running "chmod
                          > 644" on all your image files will probably do the trick.
                          >
                          > --Stephen

                        • prb0x
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jack" <smiledeadboy@h...>
                            wrote:
                            > hi thanks. i chmoded all my image files individually and teh site
                            > now works cheers. however it was painstaking. surely there must be a
                            > way to batch 'chmod 644' all the files in a directory all at teh
                            > same time? anybody know if this can be one? cheers jack.

                            try:
                            chmod -R 644 directory

                            recursive mode.

                            or:
                            chmod 644 *.gif

                            using wildcards.

                            Cheers,
                            Al
                          • Stephen Jungels
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 12, 2005
                              Apologies, I would have given you an exact command to run if I knew you didn't know how to use wild cards.  For future reference, you can apply a command to all the jpegs in a directory with, for example

                                chmod 644 *.jpg

                              If you have other types of image files, you need to do them as well, for example

                                chmod 644 *.gif *.png

                              You may have a similar problem with straight html files because thttpd refuses to serve non-script files that have the x bit set, and Windows files you transfer over to the linkstation may have the x bit set.  In this case you would run

                                chmod 644 *.html

                              Try a google search for the exact phrase "man chmod" if you want to see the manual page for the chmod command.

                              Hope that helps,

                              Stephen

                              <stephen@j...> wrote:
                              > I wouldn't give up at this point, you've almost done it.  Why it
                              hasn't
                              > worked depends on the particular chmod command you used, but
                              running "chmod
                              > 644" on all your image files will probably do the trick.
                              >
                              > --Stephen

                            • maeuropa
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 18, 2005
                                Hello!

                                I have installed a second version of thttpd webserver on my box, but
                                I would like to add a login/password to this site. I've read on the
                                www.acme.com site that there should be a password file at the root
                                directory of the site, but I can't find this file for the admin web
                                pages of my Kuro Box. Does anyone know where this file is so I can
                                use it as an example to create a different login/password for my
                                second web page? If not, can someone tell me how to create this? I
                                didn't see any examples of how to do so on the acme site. Thanks in
                                advance!

                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "itimpi50"

                              • han320yah
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                  I'd also be interested in doing this. Unfortunately I've no idea
                                  how to do it either! Hope someone can offer some assistance.

                                  On another subject, I'd like to install Apache as my webserver
                                  instead of httpd. Has anyone managed this on the LS2, and more
                                  importantly, has a how-to guide on compiling it for the LS2?

                                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "maeuropa"

                                • Nick Pappas
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                    The LinkStation is running thttpd, which can be read about here:
                                    http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/ - I know many have figured this
                                    out already but for those who are still looking, there ya go.

                                    I looked at the webserver briefly last night, but I have not tackled
                                    it for my needs (MySQL + PHP) yet. thttpd does appear to support
                                    .htaccess -- you could read up on that and see if that will work out
                                    -- the security file mentioned (if they are refering to htaccess) does
                                    not exist until it has to, and it is not a human editable file (or is
                                    not meant to be).

                                    I'll see about trying to lock down a directory when I get my second server up.

                                    On 7/20/05, han320yah <b747@...> wrote:
                                    > On another subject, I'd like to install Apache as my webserver
                                    > instead of httpd. Has anyone managed this on the LS2, and more
                                    > importantly, has a how-to guide on compiling it for the LS2?

                                    I haven't yet, but this is a thought in the back of my mind. If I can
                                    get PHP and MySQL to work well enough for development purposes w/
                                    thttpd then I'll ditch my Apache plans. Otherwise, I'll probably look
                                    into compiling it towards the end of this week.

                                    You can try it on your own. It isn't hard to test things out, if you
                                    have never worked with compiling before:

                                    1) Download the Apache source code and copy it, via Samba, over to
                                    your LinkStation.
                                    2) ssh into your LinkStation and uncompress the archive into a
                                    directory of your choice.
                                    3) Read the quick start install instructions... they will probably
                                    tell you continue similar to this...
                                    4) type "./configure --prefix=/mnt/hda/usr/local" -- by default Apache
                                    will try to install in your root directory, this would be bad.
                                    Because of the limited space, you will want to have it installed on
                                    your main storage partition -- but you don't have to make that
                                    directory in a share.
                                    5) type "make"

                                    If you get no errors (warning will probably be plentiful) then you
                                    have a working Apache build. Type "make install" and *bam*. You're
                                    PATH info will not be correct yet, but I haven't found which PATH
                                    argument wins during boot.

                                    If you haven't compiled before and don't feel comfortable with it,
                                    just give me a few days. If thttpd doesn't work out for my needs I'll
                                    be hitting Apache.
                                  • wedgemusic
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                      Thttpd doesn't natively support PHP and the PHP support addon(s) are
                                      barely functional. Don't expect to be able to do anything fancy with
                                      PHP and MySQL on thttpd.

                                      An easier installation for Apache is to create a symbolic link from
                                      /usr/local to /mnt/whatever and install Apache in /usr/local as
                                      normal. This will keep it in your PATH and conserve space on hda1.

                                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
                                      <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
                                      > The LinkStation is running thttpd, which can be read about here:
                                      > http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/ - I know many have figured this
                                      > out already but for those who are still looking, there ya go.
                                      >
                                      > I looked at the webserver briefly last night, but I have not tackled
                                      > it for my needs (MySQL + PHP) yet. thttpd does appear to support
                                      > .htaccess -- you could read up on that and see if that will work out
                                      > -- the security file mentioned (if they are refering to htaccess) does
                                      > not exist until it has to, and it is not a human editable file (or is
                                      > not meant to be).
                                      >
                                      > I'll see about trying to lock down a directory when I get my second
                                      server up.

                                      > On 7/20/05, han320yah <b747@o...> wrote:
                                      > > On another subject, I'd like to install Apache as my webserver
                                      > > instead of httpd. Has anyone managed this on the LS2, and more
                                      > > importantly, has a how-to guide on compiling it for the LS2?
                                      >
                                      > I haven't yet, but this is a thought in the back of my mind. If I can
                                      > get PHP and MySQL to work well enough for development purposes w/
                                      > thttpd then I'll ditch my Apache plans. Otherwise, I'll probably look
                                      > into compiling it towards the end of this week.
                                      >
                                      > You can try it on your own. It isn't hard to test things out, if you
                                      > have never worked with compiling before:
                                      >
                                      > 1) Download the Apache source code and copy it, via Samba, over to
                                      > your LinkStation.
                                      > 2) ssh into your LinkStation and uncompress the archive into a
                                      > directory of your choice.
                                      > 3) Read the quick start install instructions... they will probably
                                      > tell you continue similar to this...
                                      > 4) type "./configure --prefix=/mnt/hda/usr/local" -- by default Apache
                                      > will try to install in your root directory, this would be bad.
                                      > Because of the limited space, you will want to have it installed on
                                      > your main storage partition -- but you don't have to make that
                                      > directory in a share.
                                      > 5) type "make"
                                      >
                                      > If you get no errors (warning will probably be plentiful) then you
                                      > have a working Apache build. Type "make install" and *bam*. You're
                                      > PATH info will not be correct yet, but I haven't found which PATH
                                      > argument wins during boot.
                                      >
                                      > If you haven't compiled before and don't feel comfortable with it,
                                      > just give me a few days. If thttpd doesn't work out for my needs I'll
                                      > be hitting Apache.
                                    • Nick Pappas
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                        On 7/20/05, wedgemusic <wedgemusic@...> wrote:
                                        > An easier installation for Apache is to create a symbolic link from
                                        > /usr/local to /mnt/whatever and install Apache in /usr/local as
                                        > normal. This will keep it in your PATH and conserve space on hda1.

                                        Just make sure you 'cp' (not 'mv') files to your new
                                        /mnt/hda/usr/local before you delete the original and create the
                                        symbolic link. I moved a system directory a long time ago and was
                                        most perplexed as to why the move stopped working suddenly and half
                                        the system didn't work (it was because I moved 'mv' outside the path).
                                        :)

                                        You'll still want to double check where Apache installs everything.
                                        Most of it will probably go under /usr/local, but you want to make
                                        sure you keep track of any stray files that will lessen your available
                                        space on your root partition. Although, you'd have much more space at
                                        this point and wouldn't have to worry about it nearly as much.
                                      • han320yah
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                          Thanks for all the info. It sounds a little complicated for a
                                          newbie like me but would love to give it a try! If anyone manages
                                          to install it and sorts out any problems, I think many of us would
                                          be very grateful for feedback and installation advice.
                                          Here's hoping!

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                            If you are interested in a second installation of thttpd, there is a
                                            great tutorial at http://www.nslu2-
                                            linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver This tutorial is for the
                                            nslu2 but it directly applies for the Linkstation and/or Kuro Box.
                                            Use htpasswd to generate a new .htpasswd file if you want to password
                                            protect your site. Place the .htpasswd file in the top directory of
                                            your website.

                                            BTW, thttpd is very strict on the folder and file permissions of your
                                            website. Change all of your website files to 644 and all of your
                                            website files to 711 using the chmod command.

                                            Let me know if you have any questions.
                                          • Nick Pappas
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                              Just sat down at home and am going to look at building Apache. I
                                              wrote in to the Apache user group and asked some references on
                                              reducing the footprint of the server and got one reply back. Seems
                                              someone is working on doing something similar and will be posting his
                                              howto in about a week.

                                              Until then, I'm going to play with compiling it... because I'm impatient. :)

                                              A quick backtrack to the "--prefix" vs. symbolic link issue. I just
                                              looked at the PATH again and /usr/local (or anything below it) isn't
                                              in the PATH anyway, only printer information is in /usr/local by
                                              default. Personally, I'd use "--prefix" to point things to someplace
                                              else so you keep the system and anything you install apart. You can
                                              modify the path in /etc/profile accordingly.

                                              Okay - off to compile Apache for the first time. First round, just a
                                              standard compile to see if it will go out of the box.

                                              On 7/20/05, han320yah <b747@...> wrote:
                                              > Thanks for all the info. It sounds a little complicated for a
                                              > newbie like me but would love to give it a try! If anyone manages
                                              > to install it and sorts out any problems, I think many of us would
                                              > be very grateful for feedback and installation advice.
                                              > Here's hoping!
                                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas
                                              > <nwpappas@g...> wrote:
                                              > > On 7/20/05, wedgemusic <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                                              > > > An easier installation for Apache is to create a symbolic link
                                              > from
                                              > > > /usr/local to /mnt/whatever and install Apache in /usr/local as
                                              > > > normal. This will keep it in your PATH and conserve space on
                                              > hda1.
                                              > >
                                              > > Just make sure you 'cp' (not 'mv') files to your new
                                              > > /mnt/hda/usr/local before you delete the original and create the
                                              > > symbolic link. I moved a system directory a long time ago and was
                                              > > most perplexed as to why the move stopped working suddenly and half
                                              > > the system didn't work (it was because I moved 'mv' outside the
                                              > path).
                                              > > :)
                                              > >
                                              > > You'll still want to double check where Apache installs
                                              > everything.
                                              > > Most of it will probably go under /usr/local, but you want to make
                                              > > sure you keep track of any stray files that will lessen your
                                              > available
                                              > > space on your root partition. Although, you'd have much more
                                              > space at
                                              > > this point and wouldn't have to worry about it nearly as much.

                                              Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
                                              yourself either.
                                              Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
                                            • maeuropa
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                                                There are some guys on the Kuro Forum (not the Yahoo one, but
                                                www.kurobox.com - forum) that have a script for installing a number
                                                of items including apache and php. You may want to take a look at
                                                that.