Cool'n Quiet LS... feature request list

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
      1- Support HW version 2:
      I could make the version suitable for the newer hardware type "Version
      2" LS boxes). The problem is I don't know the specifics and don't have
      a test environment.

      2- HDD Smartmonitor:
      Turn on High fan when HDD above 40C.
      Shutdown the box if HDD temp shoots over 50C.

      3- CPU Useage:
      Turn on high fan and blink LED if CPU is maxed out for a long period

      -Sam.
    • han320yah
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
        Just looked at your post below and wonder whether the reason for my
        problems is that I'm using a LS II??

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
        <glasseron@y...> wrote:

        > 1- Support HW version 2:
        > I could make the version suitable for the newer hardware
        type "Version
        > 2" LS boxes). The problem is I don't know the specifics and don't
        have
        > a test environment.
        >
        > 2- HDD Smartmonitor:
        > Turn on High fan when HDD above 40C.
        > Shutdown the box if HDD temp shoots over 50C.
        >
        > 3- CPU Useage:
        > Turn on high fan and blink LED if CPU is maxed out for a long period
        >
        > -Sam.
      • downlalaway
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2005
          ideas to be
          able to do it too on a debianed LS 1?
          If you dont think its anything a great deal different Ill dig deeper.
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy " <glasseron@y...
          > wrote:
          >
          > 1- Support HW version 2:
          > I could make the version suitable for the newer hardware type "Versi
          on
          > 2" LS boxes). The problem is I don't know the specifics and don't ha
          ve
          > a test environment.
          >
          > 2- HDD Smartmonitor:
          > Turn on High fan when HDD above 40C.
          > Shutdown the box if HDD temp shoots over 50C.
          >
          > 3- CPU Useage:
          > Turn on high fan and blink LED if CPU is maxed out for a long period
          >
          > -Sam.
        • Frenchy
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
            I don't recommend you install that script on non LSI. At best it
            won't do anything on MIPS.
            If you are running a firmware in the 1.xx range you do have a
            version 1.

            when you plug in the *.sh script in your browser: I do expect some
            type of error (normal). This is using the ability of the LS to run
            shell commands a root. Nothing fancy will come up in the browser
            except an error message.
            -Sam.
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah" <b747@o...>
            wrote:
            > Just looked at your post below and wonder whether the reason for
            my
            > problems is that I'm using a LS II??
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
            > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > 1- Support HW version 2:
            > > I could make the version suitable for the newer hardware
            > type "Version
            > > 2" LS boxes). The problem is I don't know the specifics and
            don't
            > have
            > > a test environment.
            > >
            > > 2- HDD Smartmonitor:
            > > Turn on High fan when HDD above 40C.
            > > Shutdown the box if HDD temp shoots over 50C.
            > >
            > > 3- CPU Useage:
            > > Turn on high fan and blink LED if CPU is maxed out for a long
            period

            > > -Sam.
          • Frenchy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
              I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
              learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a few
              pointers:
              - what so good about Debianed LS
              - how do I install

              I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool for
              ya.
              -sam

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
              <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
              > ideas to be
              > able to do it too on a debianed LS 1?
              > If you dont think its anything a great deal different Ill dig
              deeper.
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
              <glasseron@y...
              > > wrote:
              > >
              > > 1- Support HW version 2:
              > > I could make the version suitable for the newer hardware
              type "Versi
              > on
              > > 2" LS boxes). The problem is I don't know the specifics and
              don't ha
              > ve
              > > a test environment.
              > >
              > > 2- HDD Smartmonitor:
              > > Turn on High fan when HDD above 40C.
              > > Shutdown the box if HDD temp shoots over 50C.
              > >
              > > 3- CPU Useage:
              > > Turn on high fan and blink LED if CPU is maxed out for a long
              period

              > > -Sam.
            • downlalaway
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
                Hi Sam,
                Today is not a great day to ask me - I've somehow messed up the boot
                procedure which I just discovered. I tend to install too many
                packages... and I think it may have been hdparm on top of noflushd but
                that's just wild speculation until I look.

                Before that its worked fantastically for well over a month now.
                Basically there is almost nothing you can't do - installing anything
                is as simple as one line - no compiling and many packages can work
                straight off (bigger ones usually need configuring). Massive package
                database that usually works. Easy to be able to set upa vnc server and
                use as a real computer through a remote desktop. I've even ssh'd a vnc
                link to it from work and used it to vncview other local pcs on my home
                network (there's a more direct way too).
                Quite a steep learning curve for me (although I use Mepis before) but
                should be no problem if you're building you own progs.
                Much better than gentoo for not compiling programs that take several
                hours unless you like birch twigs etc.

                My plan is to set up a webmail server for my email and be able to log
                lots of things (weather, network links I have etc) using cacti and
                rrdtool. Its all then web accessible.

                To install go to Wedgemusic's wiki http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/
                Its all there step by step.
                They're working on trying to install from an update package directly,
                but I did the hardware method of disc out, repartition and then untar
                from a linux box/knoppix disc. 2-3 hours gets you a full up debian distro.

                <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                > I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
                > learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a few
                > pointers:
                > - what so good about Debianed LS
                > - how do I install
                >
                > I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool for
                > ya.
                > -sam
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
                > <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
                > > ideas to be
                > > able to do it too on a debianed LS 1?
                > > If you dont think its anything a great deal different Ill dig
                > deeper.
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                > <glasseron@y...
                > > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > 1- Support HW version 2:
                > > > I could make the version suitable for the newer hardware
                > type "Versi
                > > on
                > > > 2" LS boxes). The problem is I don't know the specifics and
                > don't ha
                > > ve

                > > > a test environment.
                > > >
                > > > 2- HDD Smartmonitor:
                > > > Turn on High fan when HDD above 40C.
                > > > Shutdown the box if HDD temp shoots over 50C.
                > > >
                > > > 3- CPU Useage:
                > > > Turn on high fan and blink LED if CPU is maxed out for a long
                > period
                > > >
                > > > -Sam.
              • Frenchy
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
                  Well that could be a giant step forward to install packages easily.
                  I believe Debian must be like another linux in that sense,

                  - Create rc.d symlinks to AutoFand to start and kill upon
                  boot/shutdown
                  - Make sure the all paths are correct for the Debian environment

                  In general try to use my latest script as I am building in
                  safeguards around the uart daemon process (rev:1.2.6).

                  For the short term I will post my files in Yahoo files then later
                  point to the Wiki. Great way to organize dev. efforts.

                  <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > from a linux box/knoppix disc. 2-3 hours gets you a full up debian
                  distro.

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                  > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                  > > I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
                  > > learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a
                  few
                  > > pointers:
                  > > - what so good about Debianed LS
                  > > - how do I install
                  > >
                  > > I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool
                  for
                  > > ya.
                  > > -sam
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
                  > > <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
                  > > > ideas to be
                  > > > able to do it too on a debianed LS 1?
                  > > > If you dont think its anything a great deal different Ill dig

                • downlalaway
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
                    yep lots of upcoming derived linux distros built on Debian - ubuntu,
                    mepis (Knoppix I think).

                    Look forward to having a go once I get this boot problem out the way
                    -it starts and runs for about 5mins with power light flashing. Samba
                    even works properly but after five mins it just crashes, switches off
                    except the diag led flashing. ssh gets kicked out since its booting so
                    have the drive out.

                    Know enough to point me to some standard log files to see what's
                    breaking down?

                    Phil

                    <glasseron@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > >
                    > > To install go to Wedgemusic's wiki http://frontalot.is-a-
                    > geek.net:81/
                    > > Its all there step by step.
                    > > They're working on trying to install from an update package
                    > directly,
                    > > but I did the hardware method of disc out, repartition and then
                    > untar
                    > > from a linux box/knoppix disc. 2-3 hours gets you a full up debian
                    > distro.
                    > >

                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                    > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                    > > > I have to admit I don't know much about Debian but I am eger to
                    > > > learn. Seems like there is some momentum towards it - Give me a
                    > few
                    > > > pointers:
                    > > > - what so good about Debianed LS
                    > > > - how do I install
                    > > >
                    > > > I have a LS sandbox where I can install Debian and port my tool

                  • Frenchy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
                      I have add a similar problem. The best way to troubleshoot is to
                      turn off from rc.d as many unneeded processes as possible before the
                      LS reboots. Don't prevent system daemon from starting.

                      Even if you take your disk out, you still have to troubleshoot what
                      causes this problem. Above steps.
                      Personnally I had this type of outcome when ppc_uartd was not
                      running.