Cool'n Quiet radio: streaming with HDD stopped & silent fan

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 28, 2005
      Now that I can see the disk activities (ON/OFF) on the front pannel
      LED, I have realised this morning that while Twonky mediaserver 2.8 is
      streaming Net radio, the LS disk stays off and the fan runs silently.

      The LS is becoming a real low power, low noise radio system: very
      practical for music fans.

      Note that you can't stream MP3 from the disk and expect it to sleep at
      the same time!
      When streaming net radio the disk is alowed to sleep because the LS
      really only acts as a proxy server involving only CPU/NIC/RAM.
      -Sam.
    • frankusb
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
        Sam,

        Your package rocks. I'm in the same boat, streaming radio to an omnifi
        from the Linkstation. I applied your excellent Cool & Quiet package
        and I really like it. I did tweak it to slowly blink the power led
        instead of the disk full (red = bad). It turns out that it doesn't
        blink but modulates so that the power led appears to dim. To me, this
        is more appropriate to what's happening anyway, less power is being
        used so the power led "dims".

        Again, thanks for the excellent script.

        Frank

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
        <glasseron@y...> wrote:
        > Now that I can see the disk activities (ON/OFF) on the front pannel
        > LED, I have realised this morning that while Twonky mediaserver 2.8 is
        > streaming Net radio, the LS disk stays off and the fan runs silently.
        >
        > The LS is becoming a real low power, low noise radio system: very
        > practical for music fans.
        >
        > Note that you can't stream MP3 from the disk and expect it to sleep at
        > the same time!
        > When streaming net radio the disk is alowed to sleep because the LS
        > really only acts as a proxy server involving only CPU/NIC/RAM.
        > -Sam.
      • han320yah
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
          I installed the cool & quiet files on my Linkstation II but it
          doesn't seem to work for me. Has anyone got this working on a
          version II MIPS LS or will it only work on a LS I?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "frankusb"
          <frank.banul@g...> wrote:
          > Sam,
          >
          > Your package rocks. I'm in the same boat, streaming radio to an
          omnifi
          > from the Linkstation. I applied your excellent Cool & Quiet package
          > and I really like it. I did tweak it to slowly blink the power led
          > instead of the disk full (red = bad). It turns out that it doesn't
          > blink but modulates so that the power led appears to dim. To me,
          this
          > is more appropriate to what's happening anyway, less power is being
          > used so the power led "dims".
          >
          > Again, thanks for the excellent script.
          >
          > Frank
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
          > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
          > > Now that I can see the disk activities (ON/OFF) on the front
          pannel
          > > LED, I have realised this morning that while Twonky mediaserver
          2.8 is
          > > streaming Net radio, the LS disk stays off and the fan runs
          silently.

          > > The LS is becoming a real low power, low noise radio system:
          very
          > > practical for music fans.
          > >
          > > Note that you can't stream MP3 from the disk and expect it to
          sleep at
          > > the same time!
          > > When streaming net radio the disk is alowed to sleep because the
          LS
          > > really only acts as a proxy server involving only CPU/NIC/RAM.
          > > -Sam.
        • Frenchy
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
            Hey Frank,

            Thank you for you + feadback.
            I stayed away from using the power LED because it has a different
            signifaction: LS set to sleep at certain time and wake up.
            I use that LS feature already so I thought it would be confusing.
            On the other hand using the red LED (usually signaling bad news) is
            not often used by the LS.

            Originally I though of a workaround to all this by blinking the red
            LED in a different pattern (ON-OFF-OFF) but that would use more CPU
            when the LS is supposed to be sleeping.

            So I finally used the red LED as is with the "KISS principle".
            Anyone is welcome to tweak the LED use. See the AVR info in the
            script...

            -Sam

            How do you modulate the--- In
            wrote:
            > Sam,
            >
            > Your package rocks. I'm in the same boat, streaming radio to an
            omnifi
            > from the Linkstation. I applied your excellent Cool & Quiet package
            > and I really like it. I did tweak it to slowly blink the power led
            > instead of the disk full (red = bad). It turns out that it doesn't
            > blink but modulates so that the power led appears to dim. To me,
            this
            > is more appropriate to what's happening anyway, less power is being
            > used so the power led "dims".
            >
            > Again, thanks for the excellent script.
            >
            > Frank
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
            > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
            > > Now that I can see the disk activities (ON/OFF) on the front
            pannel
            > > LED, I have realised this morning that while Twonky mediaserver
            2.8 is
            > > streaming Net radio, the LS disk stays off and the fan runs
            silently.

            > > The LS is becoming a real low power, low noise radio system:
            very
            > > practical for music fans.
            > >
            > > Note that you can't stream MP3 from the disk and expect it to
            sleep at
            > > the same time!
            > > When streaming net radio the disk is alowed to sleep because the
            LS
            > > really only acts as a proxy server involving only CPU/NIC/RAM.
            > > -Sam.
          • Frenchy
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
              The package I posted is for LS1 PPC.

              Now I believe for it to work on LS2 MIPS you simply have to change a
              variable in AutoFan. I don't have a MIPS to test.
              Go ahead change:
              SOut_Port=/dev/ttyS1 to be SOut_Port=/dev/ttyS0

              Pls use: "AutoFand test" and report back.
              I will roll out an update to Rel:1.2.6 to support both LS CPU's. It
              will be called Rel:3.x.x (support for LS1 + LS2)

              Do you know the Shell cmd to tell what CPU is on the platform? I
              could make the CPU changes automatic by querying the CPU model...

              -Sam

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah" <b747@o...>

            • prb0x
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                > Do you know the Shell cmd to tell what CPU is on the platform? I
                > could make the CPU changes automatic by querying the CPU model...

                Try uname -m

                mips on the LSII (2.05 firmware with busybox)
                ppc on the LSI (though that is under gentoo but should be the same as
                it's reported from the kernel)

                bash-2.05a# uname -?
                #BusyBox v0.60.5 (2004.05.17-01:23+0000) multi-call binary

                Usage: uname [OPTION]...

                Print certain system information. With no OPTION, same as -s.

                -a print all information
                -m the machine (hardware) type
                -n print the machine's network node hostname
                -r print the operating system release
                -s print the operating system name
                -p print the host processor type
                -v print the operating system version
              • Frenchy
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
                  Outstanding, yes uname does it! Txs for the tip.

                  That is where we get the infamous Linkstation welcome:
                  #990 2004╟» 5╖ε 21╞ⁿ ╢Γ═╦╞ⁿ 13:39:00 JST

                  1- Can someone with a LS2 MIPS run this cmd: uname -m
                  and paste the answer?
                  Is the answer string: "mips"?

                  2- In anycase on LS1 it is returns "ppc" so I have a way to set my
                  script to be handle LS2.

                  2- Can someone test this on a LS2: echo -n 'YYYY' >/dev/ttyS0
                  Does this blink your red LED?
                  If so this will stop the blinking: echo -n 'XXXX' >/dev/ttyS0
                  Report back.
                  If nothing happens above, there will be not AutoFan for LS2 unless
                  we find out what serial port the UART is hooked up to.
                  -Sam.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                  > > Do you know the Shell cmd to tell what CPU is on the platform? I
                  > > could make the CPU changes automatic by querying the CPU model...
                  > >

                  > Try uname -m
                  >
                  > mips on the LSII (2.05 firmware with busybox)
                  > ppc on the LSI (though that is under gentoo but should be the
                  same as
                  > it's reported from the kernel)
                  >
                  > bash-2.05a# uname -?
                  > #BusyBox v0.60.5 (2004.05.17-01:23+0000) multi-call binary
                  >
                  > Usage: uname [OPTION]...
                  >
                  > Print certain system information. With no OPTION, same as -s.

                  > -a print all information
                  > -m the machine (hardware) type
                  > -n print the machine's network node hostname
                  > -r print the operating system release
                  > -s print the operating system name
                  > -p print the host processor type
                  > -v print the operating system version
                • gouldyis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
                    uname -n displays:

                    root@LINKSTATION2:~# uname -m
                    mips

                    the other cmd did not flash my led

                    <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                    > Outstanding, yes uname does it! Txs for the tip.
                    >
                    > That is where we get the infamous Linkstation welcome:
                    > #990 2004╟» 5╖ε 21╞ⁿ
                    ╢Γ═╦╞ⁿ 13:39:00 JST

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
                      > 1- Can someone with a LS2 MIPS run this cmd: uname -m
                      > and paste the answer?
                      > Is the answer string: "mips"?

                      Erm that's what I posted before - but I see another users gets it too
                      which is good.

                      > 2- In anycase on LS1 it is returns "ppc" so I have a way to set my
                      > script to be handle LS2.
                      >
                      > 2- Can someone test this on a LS2: echo -n 'YYYY' >/dev/ttyS0
                      > Does this blink your red LED?
                      > If so this will stop the blinking: echo -n 'XXXX' >/dev/ttyS0
                      > Report back.
                      > If nothing happens above, there will be not AutoFan for LS2 unless
                      > we find out what serial port the UART is hooked up to.

                      It works for me. The Disk Full Light (RED) flashes on and off then
                      the next command turns it off totally.

                      bash-2.05a# uname -a
                      Linux LINKY 2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation #79 2004û 8À¯ 16ã³ À¯═╦ã³
                      12:56:10 JST mips unknown

                      Cheers,
                      Al
                    • Frenchy
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
                        By the time we get to the bottom of this message we should have the
                        solution for LS2 mips...

                        echo -n "YYYY" > /dev/ttyS0
                        is case sensitive and spelled with a ZERO at the end not letter O.
                        Is that what you entered?

                        let's take a look at LS2/mips to figure the specific UART port:
                        cat /www/script/melsub_init.sh

                        Near the top of the above file, LS1/ppc shows:
                        ### AVR ###
                        echo -n "SSSS" > /dev/ttyS1

                        WHAT DO YOU HAVE on LS2/mips after the ">" /???/?????

                        AutoFan script update is ready to work on either cpu. Just need the
                        correct UART string from LS2 user!
                        -Sam.

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
                          Great so we know we have it. I made the script retrieves the cpu
                          type and sets ittself accordingly.

                          The compatible LS2+LS1 AutoFan version is Rel.3.x.x because 2+1=3!!
                          Let me know how that runs for you. Start with the test mode to speed
                          things up. Make sure you don't have too many aditional processes
                          waking up your disk or it won't stay off during testing or else.
                          -Sam.
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <al@t...> wrote:

                          > > 1- Can someone with a LS2 MIPS run this cmd: uname -m
                          > > and paste the answer?
                          > > Is the answer string: "mips"?
                          > >

                          > Erm that's what I posted before - but I see another users gets it
                          too
                          > which is good.
                          >
                          > > 2- In anycase on LS1 it is returns "ppc" so I have a way to set
                          my
                          > > script to be handle LS2.
                          > >
                          > > 2- Can someone test this on a LS2: echo -n 'YYYY' >/dev/ttyS0
                          > > Does this blink your red LED?
                          > > If so this will stop the blinking: echo -n 'XXXX' >/dev/ttyS0
                          > > Report back.
                          > > If nothing happens above, there will be not AutoFan for LS2
                          unless
                          > > we find out what serial port the UART is hooked up to.
                          >
                          > It works for me. The Disk Full Light (RED) flashes on and off then
                          > the next command turns it off totally.
                          >
                          > bash-2.05a# uname -a
                          > Linux LINKY 2.4.20_mipsel_linkstation #79 2004û 8À¯ 16ã³
                          À¯═╦ã³
                          > 12:56:10 JST mips unknown
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Al
                        • frankusb
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
                            Hi Sam,

                            Ah, I was not aware of that feature as I don't use it, and the way
                            my linkstation keeps time I don't think it would be useful anyway.
                            But, that's the nice part of an open platform, tweak as the user
                            sees fit!

                            <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                            > Hey Frank,
                            >
                            > Thank you for you + feadback.
                            > I stayed away from using the power LED because it has a different
                            > signifaction: LS set to sleep at certain time and wake up.
                            > I use that LS feature already so I thought it would be confusing.
                            > On the other hand using the red LED (usually signaling bad news)
                            is
                            > not often used by the LS.
                            >
                            > Originally I though of a workaround to all this by blinking the
                            red
                            > LED in a different pattern (ON-OFF-OFF) but that would use more
                            CPU
                            > when the LS is supposed to be sleeping.
                            >
                            > So I finally used the red LED as is with the "KISS principle".
                            > Anyone is welcome to tweak the LED use. See the AVR info in the
                            > script...
                            >
                            > -Sam
                            >
                            > How do you modulate the--- In
                            > LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "frankusb" <frank.banul@g...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Sam,
                            > >
                            > > Your package rocks. I'm in the same boat, streaming radio to an
                            > omnifi
                            > > from the Linkstation. I applied your excellent Cool & Quiet
                            package
                            > > and I really like it. I did tweak it to slowly blink the power
                            led
                            > > instead of the disk full (red = bad). It turns out that it
                            doesn't
                            > > blink but modulates so that the power led appears to dim. To me,
                            > this
                            > > is more appropriate to what's happening anyway, less power is
                            being
                            > > used so the power led "dims".
                            > >
                            > > Again, thanks for the excellent script.
                            > >
                            > > Frank
                            > >
                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                            > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                            > > > Now that I can see the disk activities (ON/OFF) on the front
                            > pannel
                            > > > LED, I have realised this morning that while Twonky
                            mediaserver
                            > 2.8 is
                            > > > streaming Net radio, the LS disk stays off and the fan runs
                            > silently.
                            > > >
                            > > > The LS is becoming a real low power, low noise radio system:
                            > very
                            > > > practical for music fans.
                            > > >
                            > > > Note that you can't stream MP3 from the disk and expect it to
                            > sleep at
                            > > > the same time!
                            > > > When streaming net radio the disk is alowed to sleep because
                            the
                            > LS
                            > > > really only acts as a proxy server involving only CPU/NIC/RAM.
                            > > > -Sam.
                          • oseyboldt
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 31 12:20 PM
                              Hi there,
                              I´m really looking forward to a mips-compatible script. So, the
                              answer is:
                              echo -n "SSSS" > "$devSERIAL"

                              Is that what you need?

                              Regards,