newbie: write access for a group and read access for another group

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2005
      I got a LS with firmware 2.x
      If i share a folder, i only can give write access to the folder.
      The permissions are not based on the groups or users.
      Is there a solution without opening the LS

      /thx alex
    • pappasnw
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Alex"
        <earthquake.de@f...> wrote:
        > If i share a folder, i only can give write access to the folder.
        > The permissions are not based on the groups or users.
        > Is there a solution without opening the LS

        From the Web UI, it doesn't appear you can can do this.

        You could try loading the Telnet-enabled firmware onto you LS2 and
        mess with the samba configuration that way. I *assume* (emphasis on
        that unknown) it is a standard configuration setup.

        Another option is to do a complete Debian convertion of your system.
        balimbabullabe, user here on the list, is working on a way to load
        Debian onto the LS2 w/o opening the box or voiding the warranty. Many
        (including myself) are anxiously awaiting the alpha of that.

        With a Debianized system, it would be a simple samba config to do what
        you want to do. You'd lose some of your storage space (not much), but
        you'd be able to do what you needed to do.