RE: [LinkStation_General] newbie question on - usb sync with laptop

  • Bertram Doerfler
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2005

      The linkstation is _not_ an external USB device. You have to connect through a network cable…

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2005
        I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you need
        this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
        hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be used.
        I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
        the network cable.

        > i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using a
        > usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
        > recognize the link station. any suggestions would be very helpful.
        > thank you
      • samir_sood
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
          thank you and excuse my ignorance but could you explain this further.
          thank you

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

          > I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you
          need
          > this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
          > hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be
          used.
          > I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
          > the network cable.
          >
          > > i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using
          > > usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
          > > recognize the link station. any suggestions would be very
          helpful.
          > > thank you
        • Nicholas Pappas
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 29, 2005
            The LinkStation is not an external USB hard drive, which is what
            you appear to be trying to use it as. It is not meant to be plugged
            directly into another computer via the USB.
            Its a network file server. You need to connect it to your computer
            via an ethernet cable -- generally via a switch or hub. A cable would
            come from your computer in the switch, and another cable would run
            between your LinkStation and the switch. The two can now talk to each
            other.
            What balimbabullabe suggested is a "crossover" cable. This is a
            special ethernet cable to removed the need for a hub. You can connect
            your computer and your LinkStation directly with such a cable (you can
            not with a regular ethernet cable). But if your computer's ethernet
            port is already taken, you'll have to go the switch route.
            You can run a search for some key words on google and probably find
            some really good sites that can explain it better then any of us can via
            a mailing list. Not knowing how much you know about networks, it is
            difficult to explain with only text. Pictures help, a lot. :)

            samir_sood wrote:
            > thank you and excuse my ignorance but could you explain this further.
            > thank you
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
            > <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
            >
            >>I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you
            >
            > need
            >
            >>this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
            >>hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be
            >
            > used.
            >
            >>I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
            >>the network cable.
            >>

            >>>i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using

            >>>usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
            >>>recognize the link station. any suggestions would be very
            >
            > helpful.
            >
            >>>thank you
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bertram Doerfler
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005

              The linkstation is a network device, not a USB device. The usb ports are there to connect usb hardware to the linkstation (like external hard drives, printers,…). As you have a IBM t42 notebook, you do not need a crossover cable, the network port is recognizing what type of connection you have. So, just plug the networkcable that came with your linkstation in the network port of the linkstation and the networkport of your computer and start the linkstation software…

              ernibert1973

              <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

              > I can't tell you how to get this running but I ask myself why you
              need
              > this. Use a cross-over networking cable (this saves you from buying a
              > hub/switch) and connect the Linkstation in a way it is meant to be
              used.
              > I don't think you will get higher speeds over usb than you will using
              > the network cable.
              >
              > > i am trying to link my ibm t42 computer to the link station using
              > > usb c(A to A)cable. when i connect the two, the computer does not
              > > recognize the link station.  any suggestions would be very
              helpful.
              > > thank you

            • samir_sood
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2005
                thank you
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
                <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                > The linkstation is a network device, not a USB device. The usb
                ports are
                > there to connect usb hardware to the linkstation (like external
                hard drives,
                > printers,.). As you have a IBM t42 notebook, you do not need a
                crossover
                > cable, the network port is recognizing what type of connection you
                have. So,
                > just plug the networkcable that came with your linkstation in the
                network
                > port of the linkstation and the networkport of your computer and
                start the
                > linkstation software.
                >

                > ernibert1973
                >

                > _____