Re: Need help debugging

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 28, 2005
      Just install the ppc-tools package from
      http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent.
      This version has an installation script that will take care of
      everything for you. You can choose to install everything or if you
      only need/want perl, select to install packages individually and skip
      everything but perl. Please read the README_FIRST.txt file first. Post
      back here with your results please.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
      <cnichol@r...> wrote:
      > Any hints on how to install strict.pm... get strict.pm... or where to
      > put it?
      >
      > Thanks
      > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
      > > You're missing strict.pm, which is part of the perl-base. You can
      > > either fix perl yourself or install the ppc-tools package from the
      > > LinkStationWiki.
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
      > > <cnichol@r...> wrote:
      > > > I had a SLimserver installed on my Kuro a while ago and used the
      > > > instructions here to get it going. I have not used the box in a
      while
      > > > and seem to remember having an issue when I wanted to update
      > > slimserver...
      > > >
      > > > Anyways.. just tried installing slimserver and made sure that my
      perl
      > > > was up to date. Everything seemed find untill I tried...
      > > > ./slimserver.pl
      > > >
      > > > here is the output I got in the shell.
      > > > Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1
      > > > /usr.share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/perl5.6.1
      > > > /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/share/perl /usr/lib/perl5
      > > > /usr/share/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at ./slimserver.pl line 15
      > > > BEGIN failed--complilation aborted at ./slimserver.pl line 15
      > > >
      > > > Any help would be great.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks one and all...
    • gotsprings12
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 28, 2005
        All i get is a 404 when I follow the link... :(

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
        <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > Just install the ppc-tools package from
        > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent.
        > This version has an installation script that will take care of
        > everything for you. You can choose to install everything or if you
        > only need/want perl, select to install packages individually and skip
        > everything but perl. Please read the README_FIRST.txt file first. Post
        > back here with your results please.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
        > <cnichol@r...> wrote:
        > > Any hints on how to install strict.pm... get strict.pm... or where to
        > > put it?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
        > > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > > > You're missing strict.pm, which is part of the perl-base. You can
        > > > either fix perl yourself or install the ppc-tools package from the
        > > > LinkStationWiki.
        > > >
        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
        > while
        > > > slimserver...

        > perl

      • wedgemusic
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 28, 2005
          Yahoo is adding an extra period to the URL.

          <cnichol@r...> wrote:
          > All i get is a 404 when I follow the link... :(

          > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > > Just install the ppc-tools package from
          > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent.
          > > This version has an installation script that will take care of
          > > everything for you. You can choose to install everything or if you
          > > only need/want perl, select to install packages individually and skip
          > > everything but perl. Please read the README_FIRST.txt file first. Post
          > > back here with your results please.
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
          > > <cnichol@r...> wrote:
          > > > Any hints on how to install strict.pm... get strict.pm... or
          where to
          > > > put it?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

          > > while

          > > perl

          /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1

        • gotsprings12
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005
            I guess i need some more direction. I have the file. But I don't know
            what to do with it.

            I am about one or 2 steps up from a newbie when it comes to linux and
            unix. I have been running SuSE 9.2 at home (Thanks to all the time I
            spent with the Kuro I had some clue when I started with SuSE.)

            I guess could I get some more specific directions on what to do with
            teh files like how to install them and some idea as to what they are
            doing as the install?

            Thanks again for all the help.

          • wedgemusic
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005
              Read the README_FIRST.txt file; it includes all the directions you need.

              <cnichol@r...> wrote:
              > I guess i need some more direction. I have the file. But I don't know
              > what to do with it.
              >
              > I am about one or 2 steps up from a newbie when it comes to linux and
              > unix. I have been running SuSE 9.2 at home (Thanks to all the time I
              > spent with the Kuro I had some clue when I started with SuSE.)
              >
              > I guess could I get some more specific directions on what to do with
              > teh files like how to install them and some idea as to what they are
              > doing as the install?
              >
              > Thanks again for all the help.
              >
              > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
              > > <cnichol@r...> wrote:
              > > > All i get is a 404 when I follow the link... :(
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

              http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent.
              > skip
              > first. Post

              > > where to

              > You can
              > from the

              > used the
              > in a

              > that my

              > > /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1
              > /usr/lib/perl5
              > line 15

            • gotsprings12
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005
                forgive my stupidity...

                I am looking at the file that I downloaded and it is not in zip format
                and I don't see how or waht to do with it.

                Clicking on it asks me what i want to open it with.

                I think I am missing a step that needs to be done before this works...

                Please a step by step on what to do or how to get to the read me file
                is what I really need... :(

                <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                > Read the README_FIRST.txt file; it includes all the directions you need.
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
                > <cnichol@r...> wrote:
                > > I guess i need some more direction. I have the file. But I don't know
                > > what to do with it.
                > >
                > > I am about one or 2 steps up from a newbie when it comes to linux and
                > > unix. I have been running SuSE 9.2 at home (Thanks to all the time I
                > > spent with the Kuro I had some clue when I started with SuSE.)
                > >
                > > I guess could I get some more specific directions on what to do with
                > > teh files like how to install them and some idea as to what they are
                > > doing as the install?
                > >
                > > Thanks again for all the help.
                > >
                > > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"

                > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent.
                > > skip
                > > first. Post

                > > > where to

                > > You can
                > > from the

                > > used the
                > > in a

                > > that my

                > > > /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1
                > > /usr/lib/perl5
                > > line 15
                > line 15

              • wedgemusic
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005
                  First, did you actually download the package or did you just save the
                  torrent file itself? If you did download the package, did you save it
                  to your LinkStation or another computer? You need to do the following:

                  1.) Download the package with bittorrent (or any variation of bittorrent).
                  2.) If you downloaded the package to anything other than the
                  LinkStation, move the package to your LinkStation's hda1 root (that is
                  "/").
                  3.) Open up a telnet or SSH session and change to "/" with the command
                  "cd /".
                  4.) Unpack the package with the command "tar -zxvf ppc-tools-v3.tgz".
                  5.) Read the README_FIRST.txt. You can open it with pico, nano, vi, or
                  any other text editor.
                  6.) Run the installation script with the command "./ppc-tools-install.sh".

                  <cnichol@r...> wrote:
                  > forgive my stupidity...
                  >
                  > I am looking at the file that I downloaded and it is not in zip format
                  > and I don't see how or waht to do with it.
                  >
                  > Clicking on it asks me what i want to open it with.
                  >
                  > I think I am missing a step that needs to be done before this works...
                  >
                  > Please a step by step on what to do or how to get to the read me file
                  > is what I really need... :(

                  > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                  > > Read the README_FIRST.txt file; it includes all the directions you
                  need.

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
                  > > <cnichol@r...> wrote:
                  > > > I guess i need some more direction. I have the file. But I don't
                  know
                  > > > what to do with it.
                  > > >
                  > > > I am about one or 2 steps up from a newbie when it comes to
                  linux and
                  > > > unix. I have been running SuSE 9.2 at home (Thanks to all the time I
                  > > > spent with the Kuro I had some clue when I started with SuSE.)
                  > > >
                  > > > I guess could I get some more specific directions on what to do with
                  > > > teh files like how to install them and some idea as to what they are
                  > > > doing as the install?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks again for all the help.

                  http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent

                  > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent.
                  > if you
                  > > > skip
                  > > > first. Post

                  > > > You can
                  > > > from the

                  > > > used the
                  > > > in a
                  > update

                  > > > that my

                  > > > /usr/lib/perl5
                  > > > line 15
                  > > line 15

                • gotsprings12
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005
                    Now we are talking...

                    I downloaded the file... that is not the package. I need to get the
                    package?

                    Once I have the package then I need another set of instructions.

                    I have saved the file to my desktop in suse. copied it to the share on
                    my Kurobox and am stopped there.

                    I guess I need something else to get the package from the torrent?
                    <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                    > First, did you actually download the package or did you just save the
                    > torrent file itself? If you did download the package, did you save it
                    > to your LinkStation or another computer? You need to do the following:
                    >
                    > 1.) Download the package with bittorrent (or any variation of
                    bittorrent).
                    > 2.) If you downloaded the package to anything other than the
                    > LinkStation, move the package to your LinkStation's hda1 root (that is
                    > "/").
                    > 3.) Open up a telnet or SSH session and change to "/" with the command
                    > "cd /".
                    > 4.) Unpack the package with the command "tar -zxvf ppc-tools-v3.tgz".
                    > 5.) Read the README_FIRST.txt. You can open it with pico, nano, vi, or
                    > any other text editor.
                    > 6.) Run the installation script with the command
                    "./ppc-tools-install.sh".

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
                    > <cnichol@r...> wrote:
                    > > forgive my stupidity...
                    > >
                    > > I am looking at the file that I downloaded and it is not in zip format
                    > > and I don't see how or waht to do with it.
                    > >
                    > > Clicking on it asks me what i want to open it with.
                    > >
                    > > I think I am missing a step that needs to be done before this works...
                    > >
                    > > Please a step by step on what to do or how to get to the read me file
                    > > is what I really need... :(
                    > >

                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
                    > > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                    > > > Read the README_FIRST.txt file; it includes all the directions you
                    > need.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gotsprings12"
                    > know

                    > linux and

                    > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent

                    > > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/torrents/ppc-tools-v3.tgz.torrent.
                    > > if you
                    > individually and

                    > the box
                    > > update

                    > > > line 15

                  • Marc D. Field
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005
                      On 06/27/2005 12:02 PM, gotsprings12 wrote:
                      > I had a SLimserver installed on my Kuro a while ago and used the
                      > instructions here to get it going. I have not used the box in a while
                      > and seem to remember having an issue when I wanted to update slimserver...
                      >
                      > Anyways.. just tried installing slimserver and made sure that my perl
                      > was up to date. Everything seemed find untill I tried...
                      > ./slimserver.pl
                      >
                      > here is the output I got in the shell.
                      > Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1
                      > /usr.share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/perl5.6.1
                      > /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/share/perl /usr/lib/perl5
                      > /usr/share/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at ./slimserver.pl line 15
                      > BEGIN failed--complilation aborted at ./slimserver.pl line 15

                      Hi,

                      What did you do to make sure your Perl is up to date? It looks like
                      SlimServer is still looking to perl 5.6.1 instead of perl 5.8.x. Take a
                      look at my website (page 3) and follow those instructions to upgrade
                      perl (making sure not to skip the step where you move Perl 5.6 out of
                      the way): <http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation.html>.

                      Marc
                    • wedgemusic
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005