Cool'n Quiet LS... my automatic FAN speed control

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
      I have posted version 2.5 of my AutoFan scripts in the files section.

      Granted the LS CPU does not give much heat but the fan sure gets
      more noisy as it gets older. So why let your fan go bad in the first
      if you don't need to?

      Earlier on I used to default my fan to silent speed at all time with
      the stock Samsung 120Gb but I have added a 300G/7200rpm in my box
      and this popy sure can use some cooling while spinning.

      So I have created a series of shell scripts that manage the Fan
      speed in regard to the disk activities. The goal is to keep the box
      as "Cool and Quiet" as possible!

      I created four files to help you with that problem:
      README, cgi-bin3/AutoFanIns.sh, AutoFand, AutoFan.

      HOW TO INSTALL....

      1 - Place these 3 files in your /www/cgi-bin3 directory:
      AutoFand : the script manager
      AutoFan : the brain and the legs
      AutoFanIns.sh : the web installation script

      2 - Open a web browser to http:// YOUR_LINKSTATION_IP/cgi-
      bin3/AutoFanIns.sh
      ex: http://192.168.1.23/cgi-bin3/AutoFanIns.sh

      3 - Optionally open a telnet prompt and test AutoFan:
      Do not forget the "d" at the end of AutoFan like "AutoFand"
      /etc/init.d/AutoFand test

      4 - Do reboot your linkstation. You are all ready!

      5 - Optionally check your log files for AutoFan activities:
      /var/log/linkstation

      QUESTION & ANSWERS ....

      Q - What does it do?
      A - AutoFan control the fan speed based on disk activity. The goal
      is tokeep the LS as quiet as practical and spare the life of the
      cheap fan that goes bad rather too quickly.

      Q - How do I know it is working?
      A - About 10mn minutes after the disk stops spinning the fan speed
      is set to silent, the red LED should start blinking.
      As soon as the disk restarts spinning the fan will go into cooling
      speed and the LED will stop blinking.

      Q - Give me the skinny:
      A - Cooling is defined as: Disk ON > Fan=HIGH + LED=NO Blink
      Silent is defined as: Disk OFF > Fan=LOW + LED=BLINK
      Thus the blinking LED also tells you if you disk sleeps at all!

      Q - How did this come about?
      A - I have had 2 LS gone bad because of fan failures alone plus I
      like saving energy and quietness!

      Q - What are the AutoFan options ...
      A - AutoFand has 4 options available. You can get a list of options
      by typing /etc/init.d/AutoFand. The most interesting options is
      likely "test".

      AutoFand test : runs in seconds instead of minutes - Use this to
      test that everything is working fine on your rig

      AutoFand status : tells you if your disk is sleeping or spinning

      AutoFand start : used to start or restart AutoFan. Normally done
      automatically upon reboot

      AutoFand stop : used to stop the scipt and reset defaults. Normally
      done automatically upon shutdown

      Q - What else can you tell me?
      A - If you install manually or change my scripts make sure
      the "ppc_uartd" is started *before* my script or your LS may well
      give you a sad face couple times upon reboot (:-(

      Enjoy,
      -Sam aka SanFrenchysco.
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
        <glasseron@y...> wrote:
        > I have posted version 2.5 of my AutoFan scripts in the files section.

        Good job ! (have not tested or used it yet but sounds great)

        Saves me the time to create this myself as I originally intended to do.
        How about adding measuring the harddrives internal temperature using
        smartmon and shutting down if it get's too hot ? (I intended to do
        this and only run the fan at high speed if the drive rises above 45°C.
        An emergency shutdown at let's say 50°C would be great)
      • Frenchy
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
          Sure, I can roll that in too for you.
          You want:
          - fan on if the HDD temp goes over 40C (45C range is too narrow
          with the small internal fan)
          - Shutdown when HDD temp goes above 50

          I was thinking about also signalling if the CPU activities are too
          high for a long period. I have had the case when a buggy mediaserver
          whas hoging 100% CPU without me knowing it.

          Question to you: Do you have a source for PPC SMARTmon library?
          -Sam.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
          > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
          > > I have posted version 2.5 of my AutoFan scripts in the files
          section.

          > Good job ! (have not tested or used it yet but sounds great)
          >
          > Saves me the time to create this myself as I originally intended
          to do.
          > How about adding measuring the harddrives internal temperature
          using
          > smartmon and shutting down if it get's too hot ? (I intended to do
          > this and only run the fan at high speed if the drive rises above
          45°C.
          > An emergency shutdown at let's say 50°C would be great)
        • han320yah
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
            I'm probably missing a step but can't get the utility to work. I've
            transferred the files but do I have to do something else to make
            them work? I'm a Linux newbie so be gentle!!

            I think you have to make the script executable or something???

            <glasseron@y...> wrote:
            > Sure, I can roll that in too for you.
            > You want:
            > - fan on if the HDD temp goes over 40C (45C range is too narrow
            > with the small internal fan)
            > - Shutdown when HDD temp goes above 50
            >
            > I was thinking about also signalling if the CPU activities are too
            > high for a long period. I have had the case when a buggy
            mediaserver
            > whas hoging 100% CPU without me knowing it.
            >
            > Question to you: Do you have a source for PPC SMARTmon library?
            > -Sam.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
            > <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
            > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
            > > > I have posted version 2.5 of my AutoFan scripts in the files
            > section.
            > >
            > > Good job ! (have not tested or used it yet but sounds great)
            > >
            > > Saves me the time to create this myself as I originally intended
            > to do.
            > > How about adding measuring the harddrives internal temperature
            > using
            > > smartmon and shutting down if it get's too hot ? (I intended to
            do
            > > this and only run the fan at high speed if the drive rises above
            > 45°C.
            > > An emergency shutdown at let's say 50°C would be great)
          • scottegos2_dev
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
              > You want:
              > - fan on if the HDD temp goes over 40C (45C range is too narrow
              > with the small internal fan)
              > - Shutdown when HDD temp goes above 50
              They both Sound like very good to me, too. Thanks so much for doing
              this! I hadn't even thought of doing a nicely-engineered script. As
              far as source, did you look at the debian smartmontools package?

              chown/chgrp/chmod commands to the installer. If you just copy it in as
              whatever via, say, the Samba shares (as I did), then it's obvious to
              any *nix-oid that you have to do this stuff, but not to a "normal"
              person. <g>

              han320yah: You need to do this (logged in as root, of course, and
              assuming you stuck everything in /www/cgi-bin3):
              cd /www/cgi-bin3
              chown root AutoFan*
              chgrp root AutoFan*
              chmod 0744 AutoFan*
              ./AutoFanIns.sh
              rm AutoFanIns.sh

              -Scott
            • han320yah
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
                Thanks for that, and yes I'm a 'normal' person!! Well as normal as
                one gets anyway!

                I did exactly as you said and then tried the following as detailed
                in the readme file to test the fan:

                /etc/init.d/AutoFand test

                However this gave:

                bash: /etc/init.d/AutoFand: No such file or directory

                This makes sense as the file wasn't placed in the /etc/init.d
                directory. Bit confused as to where to go from here??

                --- In LStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottegos2_dev"
                <scottegos2@s...> wrote:
                > > You want:
                > > - fan on if the HDD temp goes over 40C (45C range is too narrow
                > > with the small internal fan)
                > > - Shutdown when HDD temp goes above 50
                > They both Sound like very good to me, too. Thanks so much for doing
                > this! I hadn't even thought of doing a nicely-engineered script. As
                > far as source, did you look at the debian smartmontools package?

                > chown/chgrp/chmod commands to the installer. If you just copy it
                in as
                > whatever via, say, the Samba shares (as I did), then it's obvious
                > any *nix-oid that you have to do this stuff, but not to a "normal"
                > person. <g>
                >
                > han320yah: You need to do this (logged in as root, of course, and
                > assuming you stuck everything in /www/cgi-bin3):
                > cd /www/cgi-bin3
                > chown root AutoFan*
                > chgrp root AutoFan*
                > chmod 0744 AutoFan*
                > ./AutoFanIns.sh
                > rm AutoFanIns.sh
                >
                > -Scott
              • Frenchy
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
                  I provided the AutoFanIns.sh script so people can install without
                  actually going to a prompt.
                  Simply:
                  - drop all 4 files in the cgi-bin3 directory
                  - open a web browser to run the AutoFanIns.sh

                  The AutoFanIns.sh will take care of moving files around and since
                  thttp runs as root you won't have to chown.
                  Seemed easy... thought the README file mentioned these steps in
                  english...
                  -Sam

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottegos2_dev"
                  <scottegos2@s...> wrote:
                  > > You want:
                  > > - fan on if the HDD temp goes over 40C (45C range is too narrow
                  > > with the small internal fan)
                  > > - Shutdown when HDD temp goes above 50
                  > They both Sound like very good to me, too. Thanks so much for doing
                  > this! I hadn't even thought of doing a nicely-engineered script. As
                  > far as source, did you look at the debian smartmontools package?

                  > chown/chgrp/chmod commands to the installer. If you just copy it
                  in as
                  > whatever via, say, the Samba shares (as I did), then it's obvious
                  > any *nix-oid that you have to do this stuff, but not to a "normal"
                  > person. <g>
                  >
                  > han320yah: You need to do this (logged in as root, of course, and
                  > assuming you stuck everything in /www/cgi-bin3):
                  > cd /www/cgi-bin3
                  > chown root AutoFan*
                  > chgrp root AutoFan*
                  > chmod 0744 AutoFan*
                  > ./AutoFanIns.sh
                  > rm AutoFanIns.sh
                  >
                  > -Scott
                • Frenchy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
                    I will take a look this evening at my README steps to see if
                    something caused you to get where you are.

                    Please copy the output of this command:
                    ls -al /etc/init.d/AutoF*

                    You need two files to show up before it will work for you...

                    Follow the README
                    To install run http://Your_LS_IP_Adress/www/cgi-bin3/AutoFanIns.sh
                    Then cycle the power
                    -sam.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah" <b747@o...>
                    wrote:
                    > Thanks for that, and yes I'm a 'normal' person!! Well as normal
                    as
                    > one gets anyway!
                    >
                    > I did exactly as you said and then tried the following as detailed
                    > in the readme file to test the fan:
                    >
                    > /etc/init.d/AutoFand test
                    >
                    > However this gave:
                    >
                    > bash: /etc/init.d/AutoFand: No such file or directory
                    >
                    > This makes sense as the file wasn't placed in the /etc/init.d
                    > directory. Bit confused as to where to go from here??
                    >
                    > --- In LStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottegos2_dev"
                    > <scottegos2@s...> wrote:
                    > > > You want:
                    > > > - fan on if the HDD temp goes over 40C (45C range is too
                    narrow
                    > > > with the small internal fan)
                    > > > - Shutdown when HDD temp goes above 50
                    > > They both Sound like very good to me, too. Thanks so much for
                    doing
                    > > this! I hadn't even thought of doing a nicely-engineered script.
                    As
                    > > far as source, did you look at the debian smartmontools package?

                    > > chown/chgrp/chmod commands to the installer. If you just copy it
                    > in as
                    > > whatever via, say, the Samba shares (as I did), then it's
                    obvious
                    > > any *nix-oid that you have to do this stuff, but not to
                    a "normal"
                    > > person. <g>
                    > >
                    > > han320yah: You need to do this (logged in as root, of course,
                    and
                    > > assuming you stuck everything in /www/cgi-bin3):
                    > > cd /www/cgi-bin3
                    > > chown root AutoFan*
                    > > chgrp root AutoFan*
                    > > chmod 0744 AutoFan*
                    > > ./AutoFanIns.sh
                    > > rm AutoFanIns.sh
                    > >
                    > > -Scott
                  • han320yah
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
                      I tried following your readme file again and have checked the output
                      of the command:
                      ls: /etc/init.d/AutoF*: No such file or directory

                      I went through the process again and entered the html address you
                      suggest in the readme file, substituting my own IP address, and it
                      seemed to work but the utility doesn't appear to work. The test
                      function returns the above as well.

                      Sorry to be stupid but what am I doing wrong??

                      <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                      > I will take a look this evening at my README steps to see if
                      > something caused you to get where you are.
                      >
                      > Please copy the output of this command:
                      > ls -al /etc/init.d/AutoF*
                      >
                      > You need two files to show up before it will work for you...
                      >
                      > Follow the README
                      > To install run http://Your_LS_IP_Adress/www/cgi-bin3/AutoFanIns.sh
                      > Then cycle the power
                      > -sam.
                      >

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah"
                      <b747@o...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Thanks for that, and yes I'm a 'normal' person!! Well as normal
                      > as
                      > > one gets anyway!
                      > >
                      > > I did exactly as you said and then tried the following as
                      detailed
                      > > in the readme file to test the fan:
                      > >
                      > > /etc/init.d/AutoFand test
                      > >
                      > > However this gave:
                      > >
                      > > bash: /etc/init.d/AutoFand: No such file or directory
                      > >
                      > > This makes sense as the file wasn't placed in the /etc/init.d
                      > > directory. Bit confused as to where to go from here??
                      > >
                      > > --- In LStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "scottegos2_dev"
                      > narrow
                      > > > They both Sound like very good to me, too. Thanks so much for
                      > doing
                      > > > this! I hadn't even thought of doing a nicely-engineered
                      script.
                      > As
                      > > > far as source, did you look at the debian smartmontools
                      package?

                      > > > chown/chgrp/chmod commands to the installer. If you just copy
                      it
                      > > in as
                      > > > whatever via, say, the Samba shares (as I did), then it's
                      > obvious
                      > > > any *nix-oid that you have to do this stuff, but not to
                      > a "normal"
                      > > > person. <g>
                      > > >
                      > > > han320yah: You need to do this (logged in as root, of course,
                      > and
                      > > > assuming you stuck everything in /www/cgi-bin3):
                      > > > cd /www/cgi-bin3
                      > > > chown root AutoFan*
                      > > > chgrp root AutoFan*
                      > > > chmod 0744 AutoFan*
                      > > > ./AutoFanIns.sh
                      > > > rm AutoFanIns.sh
                      > > >
                      > > > -Scott
                    • cgjonesp900
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 28, 2005
                        Could somebody please explain how to get ppc_uartd running.

                        I have installed the AutoFan script and all seems fine but on AutoFand
                        test it tells me that the ppc_uartd must be running. How do I do
                        this??

                        Thank you.
                      • chano22000
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
                          <glasseron@y...> wrote:

                          > Question to you: Do you have a source for PPC SMARTmon library?
                          > -Sam.

                          Does the smartmontools sources help you ?

                          Chano22000
                        • Frenchy
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
                            Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
                            If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for Smartmon.
                            Let me know
                            -Sam.

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
                            <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                            > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Question to you: Do you have a source for PPC SMARTmon library?
                            > > -Sam.
                            >
                            > Does the smartmontools sources help you ?
                            > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=64297
                            >
                            > Chano22000
                          • Derek Taubert
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
                              I do. See post #544.

                              etc/init.d/smartd
                              etc/smartd.conf
                              usr/sbin/smartctl
                              usr/sbin/smartd

                              Just uploaded to the files section...

                              Derek

                              On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
                              > Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
                              > If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for Smartmon.
                              > Let me know
                              > -Sam.
                              >
                              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
                              > <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
                              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                              > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > Question to you: Do you have a source for PPC SMARTmon library?
                              > > > -Sam.
                              > >
                              > > Does the smartmontools sources help you ?
                              > > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=64297
                              > >
                              > > Chano22000
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Frenchy
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
                                Hi Derek,

                                Got the files, thanks.
                                What disk do you have in your box?
                                The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the config
                                file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:

                                -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung

                                Do you need to use that option?
                                Can you paste a copy of your config file
                                -Sam.

                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
                                <taubert@g...> wrote:

                                > I do. See post #544.
                                >
                                > etc/init.d/smartd
                                > etc/smartd.conf
                                > usr/sbin/smartctl
                                > usr/sbin/smartd
                                >
                                > Just uploaded to the files section...
                                >
                                > Derek
                                >

                                > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
                                > > Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
                                > > If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for
                                Smartmon.
                                > > Let me know
                                > > -Sam.
                                > >
                                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"
                                > > <philippe.deysine@l...> wrote:
                                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "

                                > > > Does the smartmontools sources help you ?
                                > > > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=64297
                                > > >
                                > > > Chano22000
                                > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Frenchy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 29, 2005
                                  I have installed the SMARTmon suite and dove in all the help files
                                  to get my feet wet. I new SMART monitoring was a good idea, now I am
                                  conviced it is really a must have for unatended NAS! It is nice to
                                  know ahead of time if your disk's going to take a dump with your
                                  data.

                                  As far as interfacing AutoFan with Smartmon, the best way is to call
                                  AutoFan from a smartmon output script. I may write an interface
                                  script at some point once I have tuned smartmon in my test
                                  environment.

                                  Implementing smartmon is quite *disk specific*. Everyone interested
                                  will need to first tune smartmon to match their particular box.

                                  The good news is you can already implement the temperature
                                  monitoring and automated shutdown using the smartmon output scripts.
                                  What that means is you can affect your fan speed based on disk SMART
                                  parameters like temperature and when temps is too high you can
                                  shutdown just as easily.

                                  Example3 in the SM distro is rather clear on how you can affect your
                                  system:

                                  #! /bin/bash
                                  # This is a script from the smartmontools examplescripts/ directory.
                                  # It can be used as an argument to the -M exec Directive in
                                  # /etc/smartd.conf, in a line like
                                  # -m <nomailer> -M exec /path/to/this/file

                                  # Please see man 8 smartd or man 5 smartd.conf for further
                                  # information.
                                  #
                                  # $Id: Example3,v 1.4 2003/08/17 09:15:56 ballen4705 Exp $

                                  # Warn all users of a problem
                                  wall 'Problem detected with disk: ' "$SMARTD_DEVICESTRING"
                                  wall 'Warning message from smartd is: ' "$SMARTD_MESSAGE"
                                  wall 'Shutting down machine in 30 seconds... '

                                  # Wait half a minute
                                  sleep 30

                                  # Power down the machine
                                  /sbin/shutdown -hf now
                                  Right now, the best way to interface AutoFand with smartmon is to
                                  start it (AutoFand start) and stop it (AutoFand stop) from within a
                                  script that is based on the smartmon output. That script should
                                  branch to cycle AutoFan within your temperature range or call
                                  shutdown if temp shoot above your limit. Does that logic make sense
                                  to you?

                                  Between you and me, I don't think cycling a tiny fan to cool down a
                                  *spinning* disk is such a great idea. It will only make you disk
                                  warmer than possible. My own logic tells me: disk on = fan on.

                                  Speaking of disk failures and SMART monitoring: manufacturers
                                  already point out that higher temperature reduce HDD life span (MTBF)

                                  -Sam.

                                  <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                                  > Hi Derek,
                                  >
                                  > Got the files, thanks.
                                  > What disk do you have in your box?
                                  > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the
                                  config
                                  > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
                                  >
                                  > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung
                                  >
                                  > Do you need to use that option?
                                  > Can you paste a copy of your config file
                                  > -Sam.
                                  >
                                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
                                  > <taubert@g...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I do. See post #544.
                                  > >
                                  > > etc/init.d/smartd
                                  > > etc/smartd.conf
                                  > > usr/sbin/smartctl
                                  > > usr/sbin/smartd
                                  > >
                                  > > Just uploaded to the files section...
                                  > >
                                  > > Derek
                                  > >

                                  > > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
                                  > > > Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
                                  > > > If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for
                                  > Smartmon.
                                  > > > Let me know
                                  > > > -Sam.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"

                                  > library?

                                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Derek Taubert
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
                                    On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:23:05AM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
                                    > Hi Derek,
                                    >
                                    > Got the files, thanks.
                                    > What disk do you have in your box?

                                    root@HD-HLANA09:~# smartctl -P show /dev/hda
                                    smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
                                    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

                                    Drive found in smartmontools Database. Drive identity strings:
                                    MODEL: SAMSUNG SV1203N
                                    FIRMWARE: TQ100-23
                                    match smartmontools Drive Database entry:
                                    MODEL REGEXP: ^SAMSUNG .*$
                                    FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*-2[34]$
                                    ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: 009 Power_On_Half_Minutes
                                    OTHER PRESETS: Fixes byte order in some SMART data (same as -F samsung2)

                                    > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the config
                                    > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
                                    >
                                    > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung
                                    >
                                    > Do you need to use that option?

                                    I don't have to add anything to the command line as the smartmontools database
                                    figures it out.

                                    > Can you paste a copy of your config file

                                    I just use one line:

                                    /dev/hda -a -n standby -I 8 -I 194 -o on -S on -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

                                    and then check /var/log/messages every so often. I would like to have
                                    a simple way to use the e-mail feature...

                                    Derek

                                    > -Sam.
                                    >
                                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
                                    > <taubert@g...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I do. See post #544.
                                    > >
                                    > > etc/init.d/smartd
                                    > > etc/smartd.conf
                                    > > usr/sbin/smartctl
                                    > > usr/sbin/smartd
                                    > >
                                    > > Just uploaded to the files section...
                                    > >
                                    > > Derek
                                    > >

                                    > > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:52:33PM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
                                    > > > Great deal. Do you have a smartmon package that runs on LS?
                                    > > > If so I can use it for testing and build an interface for
                                    > Smartmon.
                                    > > > Let me know
                                    > > > -Sam.
                                  • downlalaway
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
                                      Just on the earlier note of there mostly being samsungs - I've got a
                                      WD1200BB caviar in my LS1 (seems nice and quite)
                                      <taubert@g...> wrote:
                                      > On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:23:05AM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
                                      > > Hi Derek,
                                      > >
                                      > > Got the files, thanks.
                                      > > What disk do you have in your box?
                                      >
                                      > root@HD-HLANA09:~# smartctl -P show /dev/hda
                                      > smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C)
                                      2002-4 Bruce Allen
                                      > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
                                      >
                                      > Drive found in smartmontools Database. Drive identity strings:
                                      > MODEL: SAMSUNG SV1203N
                                      > FIRMWARE: TQ100-23
                                      > match smartmontools Drive Database entry:
                                      > MODEL REGEXP: ^SAMSUNG .*$
                                      > FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*-2[34]$
                                      > ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: 009 Power_On_Half_Minutes
                                      > OTHER PRESETS: Fixes byte order in some SMART data (same as -F
                                      samsung2)

                                      > > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the config
                                      > > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
                                      > >
                                      > > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none, samsung
                                      > >
                                      > > Do you need to use that option?
                                      >
                                      > I don't have to add anything to the command line as the
                                      smartmontools database
                                      > figures it out.
                                      >

                                      > > Can you paste a copy of your config file
                                      >
                                      > I just use one line:
                                      >
                                      > /dev/hda -a -n standby -I 8 -I 194 -o on -S on -s
                                      (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

                                      > and then check /var/log/messages every so often. I would like to have
                                      > a simple way to use the e-mail feature...
                                      >
                                      > Derek
                                      >

                                      > > -Sam.
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
                                      > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I do. See post #544.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > etc/init.d/smartd
                                      > > > etc/smartd.conf
                                      > > > usr/sbin/smartctl
                                      > > > usr/sbin/smartd
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Just uploaded to the files section...
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Derek

                                      > > Smartmon.
                                    • Frenchy
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
                                        Derek,
                                        If you don't have a runing email service, you best shot is to direct
                                        the email output to the linkstation.log file using script "example3"
                                        <taubert@g...> wrote:
                                        > On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:23:05AM -0000, Frenchy wrote:
                                        > > Hi Derek,
                                        > >
                                        > > Got the files, thanks.
                                        > > What disk do you have in your box?
                                        >
                                        > root@HD-HLANA09:~# smartctl -P show /dev/hda
                                        > smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C)
                                        2002-4 Bruce Allen
                                        > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
                                        >
                                        > Drive found in smartmontools Database. Drive identity strings:
                                        > MODEL: SAMSUNG SV1203N
                                        > FIRMWARE: TQ100-23
                                        > match smartmontools Drive Database entry:
                                        > MODEL REGEXP: ^SAMSUNG .*$
                                        > FIRMWARE REGEXP: .*-2[34]$
                                        > ATTRIBUTE OPTIONS: 009 Power_On_Half_Minutes
                                        > OTHER PRESETS: Fixes byte order in some SMART data (same as -
                                        F samsung2)

                                        > > The standard LS comes with Samsungs 120Gb ... I see from the
                                        config
                                        > > file there are SMART firmware issues with these disks:
                                        > >
                                        > > -F TYPE Use firmware bug workaround. Type is one of: none,
                                        samsung

                                        > > Do you need to use that option?
                                        >
                                        > I don't have to add anything to the command line as the
                                        smartmontools database
                                        > figures it out.
                                        >

                                        > > Can you paste a copy of your config file
                                        >
                                        > I just use one line:
                                        >
                                        > /dev/hda -a -n standby -I 8 -I 194 -o on -S on -s
                                        (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03)

                                        > and then check /var/log/messages every so often. I would like to
                                        have
                                        > a simple way to use the e-mail feature...
                                        >
                                        > Derek
                                        >

                                        > > -Sam.
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
                                        > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I do. See post #544.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > etc/init.d/smartd
                                        > > > etc/smartd.conf
                                        > > > usr/sbin/smartctl
                                        > > > usr/sbin/smartd
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Just uploaded to the files section...
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Derek

                                        > > Smartmon.
                                      • Frenchy
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 30, 2005
                                          yes I have both WD (newer LS) and Samsung (earlier box) so long they
                                          keep our data.
                                          My main recommendation would be not to use a 7200rpm disk
                                          replacement for the 120Gb besides 5400rpm are cheaper and cooler so
                                          you may be able to run the fan silent all the time.

                                          I am doing some testing with smartmon to get a good handle on
                                          Attribute ID 194. I am trying to find a way to integrate a
                                          temperature regulation with AutoFan for 5400rpm disk. 7200rpm are
                                          too hot not to have the fan high while spinning.
                                          -Sam.

                                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"

                                        • Frenchy
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 1, 2005
                                            About regulating fan speed based on disk SMART temperature
                                            (SMARTmon)...

                                            I am done with the testing.
                                            It turns out it is a bad idea to cycle the fan based on disk temp
                                            while it is spinning!!

                                            - Temperature tests with SMART AttributeID=194 show it is hard to
                                            cool down the disk once it has warmed by running the fan at silent
                                            speed.

                                            - Cycling fan on/off based on disk temperature is not practical for
                                            such a small fan with a hot disk inside a small enclosure.

                                            - The best way to keep the disk cool is what AutoFan
                                            does "DiskON=FanON".

                                            - Thus spinning the disk with a low fan is not an option if you like
                                            to stay on the good side with all your data. Heat is what kills
                                            HDD's. Cooler means longer life.

                                            Test results:
                                            Buffalo 120Gb/7200Rpm: WD1200BB-00GUA0 - Specs: 20W to start. 8W
                                            idle. 1W Standby.
                                            Spinning> FanHIGH 30/32C base temp
                                            FanLOW +6C in 10mn! (36C and up)
                                            FanHIGH only -1C in 10mn!

                                            After Market 300Gb/7200Rpm: ST3300831A (hot disk)
                                            Spinning> FanHIGH 39/40C base temp
                                            FanLOW +4 in 10mn (43C and up)
                                            FanHIGH only -1C in 10mn!

                                            Now if you are crazy like most of us, be my guest. Use these
                                            smartmon strings for your own testing:
                                            - - -
                                            temp_hda="$(/usr/sbin/smartctl -a /dev/hda | /bin/grep 194
                                            | /bin/awk '{print $10}')"
                                            echo 'The disk temperature is '"$temp_hda"' Celcius'
                                            # You **need to have smartmon installed** to use the above!
                                            - - -
                                            There are some real interesting things to be done to integrate
                                            smartmon on the LS but that will be different topic for me perhaps
                                            later this summer... (watchdogs, shutdown, health test and reports)

                                            I will not integrate Smartmon temperatures to cycle the fan on/off
                                            while the disk is spinning.
                                            Just get your LS to let the disk stop and the fan will go silent. If
                                            the disk does not stop see my FAQ in the file section to
                                            troubleshoot why the LS keeps writing to your disk.

                                            -Sam.