Re: USB memory stick not recognised

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "erikdonner_2000" <erik.donner@o...>
      wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
      > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "erikdonner_2000"
      > <erik.donner@o...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > I own a LS I 160 GB with modified FW 1.47 and pluged two differend
      > > > memory sticks in the front and back of LS.
      [...]
      > > name, "insmod usb-storage", which of course must be present on your
      [...]
      > I installed the ppc kernel modules from the wiki-site. After a long
      > copy orgy (I extracted the tar-file to another folder) a had the
      > modules at the right place. Some hours later I tried to mount the
      > usb-stick with "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb" I see the files of the
      > usb-stick at the folder.

      Fine!

      > But...
      > I can't umount the device and the LS cached the content of the
      > usb-stick at the folder. After removing, deleting the content of the
      > stick at a windows pc and replugging the stick to LS the old content
      > was on the "/mnt/usb"-folder
      >
      > Do you know a way to "automount" a device?

      At the moment, I don't have root access so I can't test it. I would monitor the logs with "tail
      -f /var/log/linkstation.log", it might suggest what to do (such as: edit some file in /etc/
      murasaki/ where such auto stuff seems to be located).

      If all else fails, I would adjust /etc/fstab, then write a CGI script to enable users to mount/
      umount the stick.

      > Do you know why the content is cached?

      Usually, when that happens, it's because you accidentially copied the contents of the
      device to the folder you use to mount the device on. Not mounted -> contents of the
      FOLDER; mounted -> recent contents of the DEVICE

      Hope this helps!

      -Andre