Question about boot sequence, and Gentoo

  • Nicholas Pappas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2005
      Hey all.

      I'm wondering how the LSv2 handles the boot process. I'm guessing there
      is something more to just installing a new Linux distro on the HD and
      *poof* it works. Or is it really just like converting any other box
      from one OS to another?

      My thoughts on this are for gut the system and just go for it (i.e.,
      void the warranty). I know balimbabullabe is working on a way to avoid
      this, but my thought is if I'm going to turn this sucker into a
      server... I'm going all the way! :)

      I'd like to look into maybe putting together a bare bones Gentoo build
      (a "stage3" tarball in Gentoo terms) that could be used for this
      purpose. I know there are efforts for the KuroBox with Gentoo, but have
      not run into anything talking about the LinkStation (especially the
      LSv2). I run Gentoo, but am by no means a high level Linux user (I run
      it, I'm happy with that), so if anyone with more savvy would be
      interested in helping I'd like to try and get it working!
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2005
        > *poof* it works. Or is it really just like converting any other box
        > from one OS to another?

        It's relatively easy to change the underlying linux distribution, it
        can be compared to changing from red hat to suse on x86. But you need
        to keep the kernel files and add some special programs that keep the
        LS from rebooting constantly.

        > this, but my thought is if I'm going to turn this sucker into a
        > server... I'm going all the way! :)

        If you install debian you should have the same.

        > I'd like to look into maybe putting together a bare bones Gentoo build
        > (a "stage3" tarball in Gentoo terms) that could be used for this

        I'm not sure but the existing gentoo on mips is in my eyes for a
        different endianess system. That would mean the existing files will
        not work on LS2.
        Different people have different likings but I ask myself (although I
        like the idea of gentoo) if it's really necessary to put gentoo on the
        LS2. I worked with gentoo on my x86 and decided to move to other
        distros (but this is just my preference)
      • pappasnw
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
          > Different people have different likings but I ask myself (although I
          > like the idea of gentoo) if it's really necessary to put gentoo on the
          > LS2. I worked with gentoo on my x86 and decided to move to other
          > distros (but this is just my preference)

          I'm just thinking different options overall. You're working on the
          Debian thing, so I thought I mighht try tinkering with something else.
          Heck - I even thought about Ubuntu for a few brief minutes. :)

          I'd have to do a lot of looking around before starting to rip the OS
          apart inside the LS, and you'll hopefully have an initial set of
          instructions for the new Debian setup by then. At that point my
          choices will be (1) beat my head against the wall trying to get
          something else on the LS or (2) put Debian on, and get rid of big ass
          server tower and monitor. Hm... ;)