Re: adding vi to the linkstation using telnet

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 26, 2005
      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"
      > <mike_f_benson@b...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Thanks for guidance. It looks like Busybox has not been fully
      > > implemented in 2.05, as I get the message
      > > "more: /dev/console: No such device" when I attemp to use more.
      > > I have tried with both the Busybox more command and putting in
      the
      > > ln -s to /bin.
      > >

      > Ah, this probably isn't a busybox problem. I don't know much about
      > troubleshooting this, but lets at least make sure the device node
      exists:

      > ls -l /dev/console
      >
      > should return this:
      >
      > crw------- 1 root tty 5, 1 Jun 26 09:17 console
      >
      > The "5" and "1" are important. Also note that only the devices
      owner,
      > should be "root" as listed here, has access to it, which means you
      > might even have some sort of permission problem.
      >
      > I kind of wonder why "more" is trying to write to the console
      device
      > anyway? It should be writing to the current tty terminal device.

      Hi,

      I ran the command and got the following, which looks similar to the
      above.

      crw------- 1 root tty 5, 1 Oct 19 2002 /dev/console

      I also tried out several other commands and I can vi, ls, mkdir, mv,
      rmdir, ping, cat, chmod, chown, ps, login, logout and kill with no
      problems. This should get most of the jobs done that I need to do.

      All the commands in /bin/ have permission to execute for all users
      and I am definitely logged in as root, which has rwx for all.

      Don't worry too much about this, more is not exactly vital to me.

      Thanks

      Mike