Is my Linkstation a brick? (No Link/ACT LED)

  • Frank Bertling
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25 5:29 AM
      Hi Guys,

      while performing a backup I lost (browser) connection to my linkstation. So
      after a little while I decided to switch off power. When I switched it on
      again I still did not have any connection (LINK Led still not lit) So I tried
      to push the red INIT button during power on. Now POWER, DISK FULL and DIAG
      Leds are flashing, but still no contact.

      Can anybody give me some hintful tip?

      Best regards
      Frank
    • downlalaway
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 26 3:36 PM
        Its a while since I did these things but on boot the power led should
        blink for sometime (a minute on mine before steady). If its can't find
        the hard disk it can flash briefly and then stop -only finds linux in
        the flash.

        Some ideas at :http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation.en/avr.html

        After firmware install the IP address is reset (hence browser often
        lost). Did you also change the cross-over switch though so the Link
        led doesn't connect?

        Init switch does just a reset I think - nothing too bad.

        The main problem is if you powered off during the firmware install and
        it corrupted the flash. Its really the most(only?) dangerous area and
        it warns about it.
        If the flash is dead then it maybe too tricky to fix since it won't
        boot to the hard disc or have anything to accept firmware... May
        depend how long 'a little while' is before you switched off.

        If you can find something present with the IP setup utility (with your
        cable and switch connected correctly) it should be fixable and the
        flash is ok enough.

        Data will be recoverable by pulling hard drive from the LS and copying
        it on a linux box if its important.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Frank Bertling