adding vi to the linkstation using telnet

  • jack
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
      i need to copy across a vi editor to the linkstation as the firmware
      version i have doesnt have one. i have downloaded the copy of 'nano'
      from the files section of this group. my linkstation is not hacked
      using fix_ext2_magic but has firmware version 2.05 with the telnet
      daemon. my pc is running windows xp but i have a knppix live cd at
      hand. can anybody help? thanks jack.
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
        I don't have a LinkStation II but I do remember someone mentioning it
        comes with busybox. If so, you can do "ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/vi" and
        vi should be enabled.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jack" <smiledeadboy@h...>
        wrote:
        > i need to copy across a vi editor to the linkstation as the firmware
        > version i have doesnt have one. i have downloaded the copy of 'nano'
        > from the files section of this group. my linkstation is not hacked
        > using fix_ext2_magic but has firmware version 2.05 with the telnet
        > daemon. my pc is running windows xp but i have a knppix live cd at
        > hand. can anybody help? thanks jack.
      • han320yah
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
          That's exactly what I was looking for as well. The function works a
          treat and I now have vi working on my LS II with the hacked fw v 2.05.

          Thanks a lot for the info.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
            No problem. I do ask one favor in return: can you type "busybox" and
            post the list of available commands? Thank you!

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
              thanks for the replies. however, being very new to linux i dont know
              how to compile the vi.c file avaliable with the busybox
              downloadable. it tells you in the readme but its not all that clear
              for an amateur linux user. can anyone tell me how to compile the
              vi.c file and then how exactly i can transfer it over to my
              linkstion so that i can use the vi function using telnet on the
              linkstation in the future. i have not hacked the linkstation using
              fix_ext2_magic if this helps at all or not as the case may be. any
              help much appreciated. jack.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
                Connect to your linkstation via telnet and enter the command:
                "busybox" (without the quotations)

                It should output a list of available busybox functions. Check if "vi"
                is listed there. If it lists vi you don't have to compile anything;
                just type:
                "ln -s /bin/busybox /bin/vi" (without the quotations)

                Then you can simply type "vi" to bring up the editor.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 22, 2005
                  thanks i got the list up and can find the vi file (its listed in the
                  busybox directory). however when i just type 'vi', it gives me the
                  error message 'bash: vi: command not found'. ive had a hunt around
                  on the internet for an answer to why this happens but so far no
                  luck. any ideas? thanks jack.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 23, 2005
                    scrap that last message. i realised you have to type 'busybox vi'
                    to use the editor. thanks for all the help tho :)
                    jack.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 23, 2005
                      I got the list of Busybox functions but how do I copy and paste
                      them? I tried selecting all but when I right click to select copy,
                      the highlighting is lost. Is there an easy way to copy and paste
                      through Telnet.

                      Away for a few days so won't get to try it until Monday...

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 23, 2005
                        Scrap the last message from me - found out how to do it! Here's the
                        output below for anyone that's interested. As mentioned I'm running
                        FW v2.05 on a Linkstation II.

                        Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
                        or: [function] [arguments]...

                        BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
                        utilities into a single executable. Most people will create
                        link to busybox for each function they wish to use, and
                        BusyBox
                        will act like whatever it was invoked as.

                        Currently defined functions:
                        [, ash, basename, busybox, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, chvt,
                        clear,
                        cp, cut, date, dd, df, dirname, dmesg, du, echo, env, expr,
                        false,
                        find, free, grep, gunzip, gzip, halt, head, hostname, id,
                        init,
                        insmod, kill, killall, klogd, linuxrc, ln, ls, lsmod, mkdir,
                        mknod,
                        mkswap, modprobe, more, mount, mv, ping, poweroff, ps, pwd,
                        reboot,
                        reset, rm, rmdir, rmmod, sed, sh, sleep, sort, stty, swapoff,
                        swapon, sync, syslogd, tail, tar, test, top, touch, true,
                        tty,
                        umount, uname, uniq, uptime, usleep, vi, wc, which, whoami,
                        xargs,
                        yes, zcat

                        wrote:
                        > I got the list of Busybox functions but how do I copy and paste
                        > them? I tried selecting all but when I right click to select
                        copy,
                        > the highlighting is lost. Is there an easy way to copy and paste
                        > through Telnet.
                        >
                        > Away for a few days so won't get to try it until Monday...
                        >
                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jack"
                        > <smiledeadboy@h...> wrote:
                        > > scrap that last message. i realised you have to type 'busybox
                        > vi'
                        > > to use the editor. thanks for all the help tho :)
                        > > jack.
                        > >
                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jack"
                        > > <smiledeadboy@h...> wrote:
                        > > > thanks i got the list up and can find the vi file (its listed
                        > in
                        > > the
                        > > > busybox directory). however when i just type 'vi', it gives me
                        > the
                        > > > error message 'bash: vi: command not found'. ive had a hunt
                        > around
                        > > > on the internet for an answer to why this happens but so far
                        > no
                        > > > luck. any ideas? thanks jack.
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
                        > command:

                        Check
                        > if
                        > > > "vi"
                        > > > anything;

                        > > > <smiledeadboy@h...>
                        > > dont
                        > > > know
                        > that
                        > > > clear
                        > compile
                        > > the
                        > my
                        > on
                        > > the
                        > linkstation
                        > > > using
                        > be.
                        > > > any

                        LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
                        > > > "busybox"

                        > LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "han320yah"
                        > > function
                        > > hacked
                        > > > fw v

                        > LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
                        > someone

                        > LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jack"
                        > linkstation
                        > > as
                        > > > the
                        > the
                        > > > copy
                        > linkstation
                        > > is
                        > > > not
                        > > with
                        > > > the
                        > > knppix
                        > > > live
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 25, 2005

                          I can't get "more" to work, either as a command or a pipe.
                          Is this Busybox or my installation (or me) that is faulty?

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 25, 2005
                            To clear up some mysteries about busybox.

                            First: Am I right in thinking that Buffalo is only using it for the
                            LS2? I just checked the old PPC 1.44 that I had laying around and it
                            doesn't have busybox. It instead has all the full blown utilites.

                            Second: Not all busybox's need to be the same. You can compile in
                            what ever functions you want. So it is possible that Buffalo could be
                            adding and deleting functions from busybox with each different release
                            of the "firmware".

                            Third: As noted below, by entering "busybox", it will list the
                            commands that it is compiled to emulate, but to normally use them you
                            have to create symlinks to them as has been described earlier (ln -s
                            /bin/busybox /usr/bin/vi). It is possible that you have to enter the
                            full path names to make this work. (In the above example, I'm just
                            guessing that busybox is in /bin, you'll have to verify where it
                            really is)

                            Fourth: If you don't have the symlinks built, you can still use the
                            command by specifying it as the first parameter after busybox. For
                            example:

                            busybox more /var/log/messages

                            to do the "more" function.

                            Finally: Here is the page briefly listing all the commands that are
                            possible with busybox assuming everything is compiled in:

                            http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 25, 2005
                              > First: Am I right in thinking that Buffalo is only using it for the
                              > LS2? I just checked the old PPC 1.44 that I had laying around and it
                              > doesn't have busybox. It instead has all the full blown utilites.

                              Yes, at least with firmwares 1.47 and 2.05.

                              > Third: As noted below, by entering "busybox", it will list the
                              > commands that it is compiled to emulate, but to normally use them you
                              > have to create symlinks to them as has been described earlier (ln -s
                              > /bin/busybox /usr/bin/vi). It is possible that you have to enter the
                              > full path names to make this work. (In the above example, I'm just
                              > guessing that busybox is in /bin, you'll have to verify where it
                              > really is)

                              In firmware 2.05 busybox is located in the /bin directory.
                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 26, 2005

                                Thanks for guidance. It looks like Busybox has not been fully
                                implemented in 2.05, as I get the message
                                "more: /dev/console: No such device" when I attemp to use more.
                                I have tried with both the Busybox more command and putting in the
                                ln -s to /bin.

                                An ls -l listing of /bin shows all the commands present and their
                                existing links, so I am confident I have done all that is necessary
                                to use more, if it was going to work.

                                Regards

                                Mike

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 26, 2005
                                  ive got a ls II with firmware 2.05 with the added telnet daemon and
                                  the all the busybox commands work fine for me :S

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 26, 2005
                                    <mike_f_benson@b...> wrote:
                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for guidance. It looks like Busybox has not been fully
                                    > implemented in 2.05, as I get the message
                                    > "more: /dev/console: No such device" when I attemp to use more.
                                    > I have tried with both the Busybox more command and putting in the
                                    > ln -s to /bin.

                                    Ah, this probably isn't a busybox problem. I don't know much about
                                    troubleshooting this, but lets at least make sure the device node exists:

                                    ls -l /dev/console

                                    should return this:

                                    crw------- 1 root tty 5, 1 Jun 26 09:17 console

                                    The "5" and "1" are important. Also note that only the devices owner,
                                    should be "root" as listed here, has access to it, which means you
                                    might even have some sort of permission problem.

                                    I kind of wonder why "more" is trying to write to the console device
                                    anyway? It should be writing to the current tty terminal device.
                                  • Mike
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 26, 2005
                                      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike"
                                      > <mike_f_benson@b...> wrote:
                                      > > Hi,
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks for guidance. It looks like Busybox has not been fully
                                      > > implemented in 2.05, as I get the message
                                      > > "more: /dev/console: No such device" when I attemp to use more.
                                      > > I have tried with both the Busybox more command and putting in
                                      the
                                      > > ln -s to /bin.
                                      > >

                                      > Ah, this probably isn't a busybox problem. I don't know much about
                                      > troubleshooting this, but lets at least make sure the device node
                                      exists:

                                      > ls -l /dev/console
                                      >
                                      > should return this:
                                      >
                                      > crw------- 1 root tty 5, 1 Jun 26 09:17 console
                                      >
                                      > The "5" and "1" are important. Also note that only the devices
                                      owner,
                                      > should be "root" as listed here, has access to it, which means you
                                      > might even have some sort of permission problem.
                                      >
                                      > I kind of wonder why "more" is trying to write to the console
                                      device
                                      > anyway? It should be writing to the current tty terminal device.

                                      Hi,

                                      I ran the command and got the following, which looks similar to the
                                      above.

                                      crw------- 1 root tty 5, 1 Oct 19 2002 /dev/console

                                      I also tried out several other commands and I can vi, ls, mkdir, mv,
                                      rmdir, ping, cat, chmod, chown, ps, login, logout and kill with no
                                      problems. This should get most of the jobs done that I need to do.

                                      All the commands in /bin/ have permission to execute for all users
                                      and I am definitely logged in as root, which has rwx for all.

                                      Don't worry too much about this, more is not exactly vital to me.

                                      Thanks

                                      Mike