Great idea, have NSLU2, just ordered Linkstation 160 for $80 (after rebate)

  • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 25, 2004
      Before acquiring an NSLU2 I posted a couple of places that the
      Linkstation looked like more of what I was looking for, but lacked the
      community enhancing this product line's function. Well, was going to
      get some more storage for the church setup, and noticed that
      outpost.com has an $80 rebate on Linkstation 160 with free shipping, see:
      http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4194083?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

      Don't know how much longer these will be available, very short window
      on the rebate $50 rebate is for Linkstation 160s bought between
      22Sept2004 and 29Sept2004 in US.

      Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
      (sorry, use sneakemail to lessen the spam...)
    • Michael Oberg
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 25, 2004
        Be careful, that is the Drivestation! NOT the Linkstation. I almost
        bought this without realizing the difference.

        Still is really cheap for a 160GB drive.

        - Michael

        On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:10:05 -0000, 7tronics Plc, M Smith
        <k6fu3vphnqo350t@...> wrote:
        > Before acquiring an NSLU2 I posted a couple of places that the
        > Linkstation looked like more of what I was looking for, but lacked the
        > community enhancing this product line's function. Well, was going to
        > get some more storage for the church setup, and noticed that
        > outpost.com has an $80 rebate on Linkstation 160 with free shipping, see:
        > http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4194083?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
        >
        > Don't know how much longer these will be available, very short window
        > on the rebate $50 rebate is for Linkstation 160s bought between
        > 22Sept2004 and 29Sept2004 in US.
        >
        > Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
        > (sorry, use sneakemail to lessen the spam...)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 26, 2004
          Oops, tx for pointing this out. Will let the order stand as you noted
          it is really cheap for 160GB drive !

          Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics

          (If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is ! )

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Michael Oberg
          <michael.oberg@g...> wrote:
          > Be careful, that is the Drivestation! NOT the Linkstation. I almost
          > bought this without realizing the difference.
          >
          > Still is really cheap for a 160GB drive.
          >
          > - Michael

        • Inframan
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2004
            I've been debating between the NSLU and the LinkStation.
            What are the merits of the LinkStation over the NSLU.

            Are there some web sites (non-Japanese) that contain essential
            LinkStation info?
            Is there a growing interest/community that may make the Linkstation a
            better choice for down the road?

            NSLU ($80, new $71 refurb at NewEgg
            http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-
            036&depa=0 )

            LinkStation
            (120GB $200 after rebate
            http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-155-
            302&depa=0
            160 GB $230 after rebate
            http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-155-
            303&depa=0 )

            > > Before acquiring an NSLU2 I posted a couple of places that the
            > > Linkstation looked like more of what I was looking for, but
            lacked the
            > > community enhancing this product line's function. Well, was going
            > > get some more storage for the church setup, and noticed that
            > > outpost.com has an $80 rebate on Linkstation 160 with free
            shipping, see:
            > > http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4194083?
            site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

            > > Don't know how much longer these will be available, very short
            window
            > > on the rebate $50 rebate is for Linkstation 160s bought between
            > > 22Sept2004 and 29Sept2004 in US.
            > >
            > > Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
            > > (sorry, use sneakemail to lessen the spam...)
          • mphoust2
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 27, 2004
              I just ordered a LinkStation 120 from newegg after wrestling with the
              same question.

              The main reason I chose it was the larger amount of RAM (64 MB vs
              32MB, I think). I plan to run a Source Code Control system on it and
              32MB seemed a bit small. Maybe a small webserver too...

              The LinkStation also appears to be a little easier to get telnet and
              root access on (might not be much harder on NSLU2 now). Plus the
              yellowdog binary RPMs covers a lot of the utils that I would need.

              The drawbacks are that Linksys is a much bigger name in the business
              than Buffalo. The NSLU2 has much bigger english-language following
              right now. I hope the Linkstation will catch up.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Inframan" <inframan@c...>
              wrote:
              > I've been debating between the NSLU and the LinkStation.
              > What are the merits of the LinkStation over the NSLU.
              >
              > Are there some web sites (non-Japanese) that contain essential
              > LinkStation info?
              > Is there a growing interest/community that may make the Linkstation a
              > better choice for down the road?
              >

              > NSLU ($80, new $71 refurb at NewEgg
              > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-
              > 036&depa=0 )
              >
              > LinkStation
              > (120GB $200 after rebate
              > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-155-
              > 302&depa=0
              > 160 GB $230 after rebate
              > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-155-
              > 303&depa=0 )
              >
              > > > Before acquiring an NSLU2 I posted a couple of places that the
              > > > Linkstation looked like more of what I was looking for, but
              > lacked the
              > > > community enhancing this product line's function. Well, was going
              > > > get some more storage for the church setup, and noticed that
              > > > outpost.com has an $80 rebate on Linkstation 160 with free
              > shipping, see:
              > > > http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4194083?
              > site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
              > > >
              > > > Don't know how much longer these will be available, very short
              > window
              > > > on the rebate $50 rebate is for Linkstation 160s bought between
              > > > 22Sept2004 and 29Sept2004 in US.
              > > >
              > > > Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
              > > > (sorry, use sneakemail to lessen the spam...)
            • Stuart Stegall
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 27, 2004
                Two other issues ... namely that the NSLU2 will probably never compile out of box with a stock linux kernel and likely it will be so
                with many major system utilities. The PPC platform is the 3rd best supported linux platforms (behind x86_64 and x86) and the
                LinkStation is really not a very strange PPC box. I can already boot of a basic PPC kernel. I'll submit some trivial patches that
                will probably take care of the problems that aren't supported generically right now. But all in all, I can boot off a 2.6.9-rc2
                pretty easy at the moment.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
                  I think the decision comes down to buying NSLU2 If you already have
                  an external USB2 drive and don't think you will really stress the
                  server as far as RAM and CPU. Otherwise the Linkstation is a better
                  purchase imho. I already own and abuse the NSLU2, and think I will
                  buy a Linkstation, and enjoy having both. With the NSLU2 and a laptop
                  HD, both combined are still smaller than my hand (and easily hidden in
                  a desk drawer).

                  Benefits of the Linkstation:
                  - Print server
                  - Unified chassis (may be a detractor to some)
                  - Much easier to hack on regarding Linux (ie hacking not required,
                  packages are available for pretty much everything). - Much closer to
                  a "real" miniature server than the NSLU2, which is more an embedded
                  system.
                  - Might be Powerful enough to downsample ogg's in realtime through
                  icecast, I am sure the NSLU2 is not. On my 30kB upstream connection,
                  this would make the difference between only supporting a single stream
                  of my music and having several (I keep my ogg's in 196kbit VBR).

                  My 2 cents.

                  - Michael

                  On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:26:06 -0500, Stuart Stegall
                  <stuart@...> wrote:

                  > Two other issues ... namely that the NSLU2 will probably never compile out of box with a stock linux kernel and likely it will be so
                  > with many major system utilities. The PPC platform is the 3rd best supported linux platforms (behind x86_64 and x86) and the
                  > LinkStation is really not a very strange PPC box. I can already boot of a basic PPC kernel. I'll submit some trivial patches that
                  > will probably take care of the problems that aren't supported generically right now. But all in all, I can boot off a 2.6.9-rc2
                  > pretty easy at the moment.
                  >

                  > mphoust2 wrote:
                  > > I just ordered a LinkStation 120 from newegg after wrestling with the
                  > > same question.
                  > >
                  > > The main reason I chose it was the larger amount of RAM (64 MB vs
                  > > 32MB, I think). I plan to run a Source Code Control system on it and
                  > > 32MB seemed a bit small. Maybe a small webserver too...
                  > >
                  > > The LinkStation also appears to be a little easier to get telnet and
                  > > root access on (might not be much harder on NSLU2 now). Plus the
                  > > yellowdog binary RPMs covers a lot of the utils that I would need.
                  > >
                  > > The drawbacks are that Linksys is a much bigger name in the business
                  > > than Buffalo. The NSLU2 has much bigger english-language following
                  > > right now. I hope the Linkstation will catch up.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Inframan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
                    Thanks for the input.

                    I have decided on the LinkStation, and am eagerly awaiting it's
                    arrival. I'll probably start with a setting up CVS and an iTunes
                    server, and eventually porting some audio/DSP related work to it, if
                    I can get a USB microphone to work well enough.

                    This little box seems just the solution I wasn't even looking for.
                    Without having to run my development box/server 24/7, I may save
                    enough on the electric bills to pay for it. That is what I'm telling
                    the wife anyway!

                    Thanks again!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
                      I tried something like this once with my wife. My servers used .8kWHrs ... and
                      at .004USD/kWHr - They really don't cost me all that much.

                    • James Ronald
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
                        Stuart,

                        Wow, that's cheap power .004USD/KWH. I think most of us in the US are
                        paying something like 0.10USD/KWH.
                        My current server is drawing about 200 Watts 24 hours a day 365 day per
                        year. Which is 4.8 KWH/Day (200 * 24 / 1000 = 0.48) or $0.48/Day,
                        $14.40/month or $175.20/year. The linkstation should be < 40 watts
                        therefore using 80% less power saving me $140.16 per year.

                        JR
                        > I tried something like this once with my wife. My servers used .8kWHrs
                        ... and
                        > at .004USD/kWHr - They really don't cost me all that much.
                        >
                        > Inframan wrote:
                        >
                        > > Thanks for the input.
                        > >
                        > > I have decided on the LinkStation, and am eagerly awaiting it's
                        > > arrival. I'll probably start with a setting up CVS and an iTunes
                        > > server, and eventually porting some audio/DSP related work to it, if
                        > > I can get a USB microphone to work well enough.
                        > >
                        > > This little box seems just the solution I wasn't even looking for.
                        > > Without having to run my development box/server 24/7, I may save
                        > > enough on the electric bills to pay for it. That is what I'm telling
                        > > the wife anyway!
                        > >
                        > > Thanks again!
                        > >

                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Michael Oberg
                        > > <michael.oberg@g...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > >>I think the decision comes down to buying NSLU2 If you already have
                        > >>an external USB2 drive and don't think you will really stress the
                        > >>server as far as RAM and CPU. Otherwise the Linkstation is a better
                        > >>purchase imho. I already own and abuse the NSLU2, and think I will
                        > >>buy a Linkstation, and enjoy having both. With the NSLU2 and a
                        > >
                        > > laptop
                        > >
                        > >>HD, both combined are still smaller than my hand (and easily hidden
                        > >
                        > > in
                        > >
                        > >>a desk drawer).
                        > >>
                        > >>Benefits of the Linkstation:
                        > >> - Print server
                        > >> - Unified chassis (may be a detractor to some)
                        > >> - Much easier to hack on regarding Linux (ie hacking not required,
                        > >>packages are available for pretty much everything). - Much closer

                        > >>a "real" miniature server than the NSLU2, which is more an embedded
                        > >>system.
                        > >> - Might be Powerful enough to downsample ogg's in realtime through
                        > >>icecast, I am sure the NSLU2 is not. On my 30kB upstream
                        > >
                        > > connection,
                        > >
                        > >>this would make the difference between only supporting a single
                        > >
                        > > stream
                        > >
                        > >>of my music and having several (I keep my ogg's in 196kbit VBR).
                        > >>
                        > >>My 2 cents.
                        > >>
                        > >> - Michael

                        > > compile out of box with a stock linux kernel and likely it will be so

                        > > best supported linux platforms (behind x86_64 and x86) and the

                        > > boot of a basic PPC kernel. I'll submit some trivial patches that

                        > > generically right now. But all in all, I can boot off a 2.6.9-rc2

                        > > with the

                        > > vs

                        > > it and

                        > > telnet and

                        > > the

                        > > need.

                        > > business

                        > > following

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Michael Oberg
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
                          I think I saw somewhere (datasheet? Specs posted to this mailing
                          list?) that the Linkstation is 17W. I know that the observed NSLU2
                          power consumption (from the nslu2 mailing list) was about 4W (without
                          including the HD).

                          Less than $1 a month for the nslu2 (since my HD autospins down after 5
                          minutes idle - Maxtor OneTouch).

                          - Michael

                        • James Ronald
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
                            Michael,

                            You are correct it seems the Linkstation datasheet says 17W max. I thought
                            it was 17 watts when idle and something like 37 watt when being accessed. So
                            guess it's more like 90% less power costing me only about $1.25/month to
                            run.
                            (17 * 24 * 30 / 1000 = 12.25 KWH/Month or @ $0.10/KWH $1.23 month.

                            Of course these saving assume that I shut down my old server. ;-)

                            JR