What about gentoo?

  • Roy M. Silvernail
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2004
      I don't suppose there's a route to installing gentoo on a Kuro Box (or
      LinkStation), is there? I'd go the Debian route, but I run gentoo on my
      main machine and my laptop, so I'm a lot more familiar with it.

      --
      Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
      "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2004
        --- "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy@...> wrote:

        > I don't suppose there's a route to installing gentoo
        > on a Kuro Box (or LinkStation), is there? I'd go
        > the Debian route, but I run gentoo on my
        > main machine and my laptop, so I'm a lot more
        > familiar with it.

        Sounds like the "route" is You!

        Try installing the base file system for Gentoo PPC in
        a folder on the big "/dev/hda3" partition then
        "chroot" over to it (I guess I need to upload a copy
        of "chroot" that will run on the linkstation, look for
        it in the "files" section") and proceed to build
        Gentoo there. Just don't let it write any bootloader
        unless you really know what you are doing!

        I'm assuming your linkstation will have access to the
        Gentoo repository, either out on the the internet, on
        a local server on your network, or even copied to the
        LS's hard drive.

        Anyway Gentoo could be a good way to go for the
        Linkstation. Since it is specialized hardware,
        compiling everything for it might give us better
        results.

        Anyway, once you get the OS built, we can then worry
        about getting moved to where you might actually boot
        up on it someday.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Matthew Flint
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2004
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
          <roy@r...> wrote:
          > I don't suppose there's a route to installing gentoo on a Kuro Box
          (or
          > LinkStation), is there? I'd go the Debian route, but I run gentoo
          on my
          > main machine and my laptop, so I'm a lot more familiar with it.

          Yes, see here:
          http://revogear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=111

          (This is Alpha of course!)

          Matthew