Java (was Re: Putting Tivo HMO server on Linkstation)

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2004
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
      > I can't seem to find Java available for the PowerPC.
      > What do MacIntosh users do for Java? Perhaps I'm not
      > looking in the right places for it (Sun corp?). I
      > guess with no Java, that would be a big show stopper
      > for something like TiVo HMO.

      Mac users get their JVM straight from Apple. I guess they make some
      tweaks to it before releasing it to their users.

      It looks like you can download the 1.4.2 JVM here:

      http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/javaupdate142.html

      Some PPC Linux users have reported success with this JVM that IBM
      makes available for people developing on their PPC-based Linux servers
      (free download but registration required):

      http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux140/

      There's also the Blackdown project, which is making Linux ports of the
      JVM for some of the more popular architectures (PPC included). But,
      the furthest they've gotten for PPC is 1.3:

      http://www.blackdown.org/

      - Dave