fix_ext2_magic

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
      I made the most stupid mistake, moving instead of copying /lib to /lib.OLD, and now need
      to disassemble the LS and mount the HDD in a desktop PC to move it back. Is fix_ext2_magic
      mandatory? I can't read the documentation; so could you please tell me if only the first
      partition is to be converted or not, and if the third partition can be the suggested backup's
      target or not.

      Thanks a lot,

      -Andre
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
        > back. Is fix_ext2_magic
        > mandatory?

        Yes

        > I can't read the documentation; so could you please tell me if only
        > the first partition is to be converted or not, and if the third
        > partition can be the suggested backup's
        > target or not.

        Only the first is "manipulated", you can use the third for a backup.
        There are instructions in the wiki.
        Just another idea: perhaps it will help to put the Linkstation in
        emergency mode and reinstall the firmware with all the files for
        partition 1 ? Would save you from disassembling the box.
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe" <balimbabullabe@y...>
          wrote:
          > > back. Is fix_ext2_magic
          > > mandatory?
          >
          > Yes

          Urgh. Good I asked.

          > > I can't read the documentation; so could you please tell me if only
          > > the first partition is to be converted or not, and if the third
          > > partition can be the suggested backup's
          > > target or not.
          >
          > Only the first is "manipulated", you can use the third for a backup.
          > There are instructions in the wiki.

          Thanks!

          > Just another idea: perhaps it will help to put the Linkstation in
          > emergency mode and reinstall the firmware with all the files for
          > partition 1 ? Would save you from disassembling the box.

          I have never heard of an emergency mode, could you tell me more? Forgot to mention I'm
          on LS 1.

          -Andre
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
            While you're at it you really should upgrade your kernel modules with
            the latest package available from the LinkStationWiki.

            http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki

            <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
            > I made the most stupid mistake, moving instead of copying /lib to
            /lib.OLD, and now need
            > to disassemble the LS and mount the HDD in a desktop PC to move it
            back. Is fix_ext2_magic
            > mandatory? I can't read the documentation; so could you please tell
            me if only the first
            > partition is to be converted or not, and if the third partition can
            be the suggested backup's
            > target or not.
            >
            > Thanks a lot,
            >
            > -Andre
          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic" <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
              > While you're at it you really should upgrade your kernel modules with
              > the latest package available from the LinkStationWiki.

              I was just in the process of installing them (thanks so much for tun.o!) when it happened.
              Bummer!!

              -Andre
            • lb_worm
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12 3:11 AM
                I have uploaded a LS1 PPC built version of fix_ext2_magic.

                Extract by:

                gzip -d /mnt/share/fix_ext2_magic.gz

                and fix you drives by typing (from telent or whatever):

                /mnt/share/fix_ext2_magic --fix /dev/hda1
                /mnt/share/fix_ext2_magic --fix /dev/hda4

                Enjoy.
              • Hab ich einen bekommen
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1 6:12 AM

                  I´m just new here and have a problem with my Linkstation Live 500GB

                  The Station doesn´t boot any more and so I decided to hang the HD on my PC booted with
                  Knoopix to fix the partion with my data.

                  I looked around and found the magic number fix but it doesn´t work.

                  If i connect the USB cabel I got 3 partitions sdb1 sdb2 and sdb6. 1 and 2 are working fine
                  and are automounted. But sdb6 couldn´t be mounted. I think on this partion is the share
                  volume with my data :-((

                  Then I opend a shell or a root shell an started the fix:
                  /home/knoppix/Desktop/fix_2ext2_magic /dev/sdb6 => can´t open /dev/sdb6

                  What are i´m doing wrong? Who could help me. The data on the partion are very
                  important and i´m really fresh on Unix shell typing

                  Kind regrads
                  Wolfgang