Re: Will a given binary run (Perforce)?

  • mphoust2
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2004
      Great news. Looks like I get to order one while the rebate offer still
      holds. I will post with my results.

      Thanks a lot Derek!

      BTW, I use perforce for source control because it has a free 2 user
      license and is much easier to setup/use than the other free alternatives.

      I don't want a noisy 300 watt space heater (aka PC) running in my
      study 24/7 :). The LinkStation looks like a good replacement.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
      <taubert@g...> wrote:

      > That binary passed the laugh test:
      >
      > # uname -a
      > Linux HD-HLANA09 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #990 2004ǯ 5�� 21��
      ������ 13:39:00 JST ppc unknown
      > #./p4d -h
      > Usage:
      >
      > p4d [ options ]
      > p4d -j? [ -z ] [ args ... ]
      >
      > The first form starts the Perforce server.
      > The second form performs checkpoint/journaling operations.
      >
      > Server options:
      > -d run as a daemon (fork first, then run)
      > -f run as single-threaded server
      > -i run for inetd (socket on stdin/stdout)
      > -q suppress startup messages
      > -s run as an NT service (or invoke as p4s)
      > -xi switch server database to Unicode mode and quit
      > -xu run database upgrades and quit
      >
      > Checkpointing options:
      > -c cmd lock tables, run command, and exit
      > -jc [ prefix ] checkpoint, then save and truncate journal
      > -jd [ file ] checkpoint without saving/truncating journal
      > -jj [ prefix ] save and truncate journal
      > -jr file restore incrementally from file
      > -z gzip checkpoint/journals
      >
      > General Options:
      > -h -? print this message
      > -V print server version
      >
      > -J journal set journal file (default $P4JOURNAL, 'journal')
      > -J off turn off journalling
      > -L log set error log (default $P4LOG, stderr)
      > -p port set listen port (default $P4PORT, 1666)
      > -r root set server root directory (default $P4ROOT)
      > -v level debug modes (default $P4DEBUG)
      >
      > # ./p4d -V
      > Perforce - The Fast Software Configuration Management System.
      > Copyright 1995, 2002 Perforce Software. All rights reserved.
      > Rev. P4D/LINUX24PPC/2003.1/46608 (2003/08/12).
      > License: none
      >
      > Derek
      >

      > On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:02:29PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
      > > Excellent news! I may just give it a try. If I buy it from newegg,
      > > I suspect I can return it if the experiment is a complete failure (and
      > > I don't turn it into a brik :).
      > >
      > > The binary I wanted to run is the server (p4d). It takes a command
      > > line argument to specify the root dir: 'p4d -r /tmp' or something like
      > > that. It might create some db.* files in that directory.
      > >
      > > The cross-compiler will be great, but I won't have access to the
      source...

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
      > > <taubert@g...> wrote:

      > > > It may very well work. glibc is 2.2.3 on the LinkStation.

      > > > You want to run the server on the LinkStation, yes?

      (I want