Partition Drivestation?

  • dbossler1
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2004
      Now that I got Slimserver running, I'm on to my next project...
      I have a Drivestation 160 (Buffalo external harddrive) connected to
      the linkstation.

      One:
      After successfully formating on the linkstation and successfully
      accessing the drivestation (it comes up as "usbdisk1" , I connected
      the drivestation to my WinXP box. It connected at the USB level, but
      of course since it was formatted in ext3, windows couldn't read it. I
      reattached to the linkstation. It connected to the linkstation at the
      USB level, but I could not longer access the "usbdisk1" folder until I
      reformated the drivestation.

      Question 1: What did winxp do to the drivestation? Why did I have to
      reformat in order to use it?

      Two:
      What I would really like is to partition the drivestation so I can
      have say 2/3 visible to the linkstation, but still have 1/3 formatted
      as NTFS so I could directly connect to a winxx box. When I
      partitioned using WinXP, then reconnected to the linkstation and
      reformatted, linkstation wiped out the partition and formatted the
      whole 160 GB as a single partition.

      Question 2: Any idea how I could partition the drivestation and
      change the linkstation so that the linkstation honors the partition?
      Also, I don't want to have to reformat the drivestation just because I
      connected to the win box.