Firmware 1.47_12_modified wishlist

  • irvine_stock
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
      I thought it would be good to get a list of "patches" that should be
      done for the new 1.47_12_modified release. We can build a database in
      this forum of the desired releases and then figure out where to post
      them. May be two or three patches required.
      I think Modified is too big a modifier for each release.
      How about 1.47_12_M1 for the first change. The _M2 for the second.
      We can update the database section of the forum with what's in each one.

      1) Telnet.
      2) Root password was changed to something useful, "root".
      3) I was thinking SSH would probably be better than Telnet for most
      since it probably could be left enabled even when not used. Telnet
      quite often gets disabled for security reasons.
      4) Turn the fan control "ON" in the WEB interface.
      5) I was thinking about removing PCAST too. (Delete the files it
      uses) I mean if you don't need it, it wastes a lot of space.
      6) HonkyTonk?

      Anything else that is done over and over by users. We can save time
      answering questions on why they could not make it run again?

      Rich
    • Andrew Hodgson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005

        Doing some of the Samba modifications which are discussed frequently -
        first and formost renaming USB printers and also doing a read only for
        some users. Possibly replace the web interface with Webmin/SWAT?

        Thanks.
        Andrew.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • emkanneberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005

          7) Is there a chance to get a kernel nfs-server running with
          NFSSVC_MAXBLKSIZE = 32k compiled?
          8) Changing the settings of the NIC to something different than auto
          (if that's the default case) for devices that can only handle
          10Halfduplex like DBox2 for streaming.

          Thanks,
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
            <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
            > I thought it would be good to get a list of "patches" that should be
            > done for the new 1.47_12_modified release. We can build a database in
            > this forum of the desired releases and then figure out where to post
            > them. May be two or three patches required.
            > I think Modified is too big a modifier for each release.
            > How about 1.47_12_M1 for the first change. The _M2 for the second.
            > We can update the database section of the forum with what's in each one.

            > 1) Telnet.
            > 2) Root password was changed to something useful, "root".

            I've already done this for fw_up147_modified posted at the
            LinkStationWiki. The username:password root:root should now work.

            > 3) I was thinking SSH would probably be better than Telnet for most
            > since it probably could be left enabled even when not used. Telnet
            > quite often gets disabled for security reasons.
            > 4) Turn the fan control "ON" in the WEB interface.
            > 5) I was thinking about removing PCAST too. (Delete the files it
            > uses) I mean if you don't need it, it wastes a lot of space.
            > 6) HonkyTonk?

            Now maybe I'm alone but I think this might be going overboard. I
            believe the modified firmware should be a "base" package that gives
            people the capability to modify their LinkStation as they please.
            Telnet and root access gives a person the power to do most anything
            they wish, such as adding SSH. If we have several modified firmwares
            of the same version (1.47 in this case) it may become too confusing
            and complicated for the average user. It also becomes harder to keep
            track of what has been modified in each version (even with a database
            of modifications). However, if you want to make a custom version I'm
            still willing to host it for you at the LinkStationWiki.

            http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
          • Matthew
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
              Here are my thoughts as a Linux noobie:

              > 1) Telnet.
              Given the vulnerbilities in telnet, I would prefer SSH instead.
              Especially as they both provide essentially the same functionality.

              > 2) Root password was changed to something useful, "root".
              Agreed

              > 3) I was thinking SSH would probably be better than Telnet for most
              > since it probably could be left enabled even when not used. Telnet
              > quite often gets disabled for security reasons.
              See above

              > 4) Turn the fan control "ON" in the WEB interface.
              > 5) I was thinking about removing PCAST too. (Delete the files it
              > uses) I mean if you don't need it, it wastes a lot of space.
              No opinion

              > 6) HonkyTonk?
              Not a big thing for me. But having pre-compilied distributions as
              separate packages, that are pretty bullet proof, would be nice --
              slimserver in my case.

              My #1 wish: update the basic pieces that are included -- SAMBA, etc.
              to the most recent version. For additions to the basic components,
              I've seen a lot of requests for mt-attpd (correct package) by Mac
              users to enable full filename compatibility. Also a better/more
              reliable time sync program.

              Regards and thanks to all the Linux gurus for pushing the Linkstation
              to the next Level!

              Matthew