Re: 'vi' editor on linkstation II

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ajr15uk" <arowe@f...> wrote:

      > OK - this probably seems like a dumb question, but where can I find
      > the VI editor for linkstation with MIPS processor?

      Well, there certainly is one in the Debian repository:

      ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/v/vim/

      The problem is that they are in .deb packaging format. You can
      manually unpack them with a combination of the "ar" archiver utility
      and "tar". But it is probably better just to use the Debian "dpkg"
      utility, but it is also in the .deb format so you have a
      cart-before-the-horse problem.

      If you would like to go this direction, let me know and I can get you
      a version of dpkg stripped down to a ".tgz" format that you can just
      use "tar -zxf <filename>" in you LS to begin this bootstrap process.
    • ajr15uk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
        Joe,

        Are you running Debian on LS? - If not, and you have a version of VI
        which runs on the standard LS install, then I would appreciate it if
        you could post a copy. I'm sure it would be useful to all.

        I've tried the version for Debian suggested by James Stewart in this
        thread, but it needs other libraries which are not present on the LS.

        Maybe I need to get another LS to install Debian onto as I don't want
        to 'break' the current one's functionallity just yet.

        Many thanks,

        Alan.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk" <jceklosk@y...>
        wrote:
        > I can post a version of vi for MIPS on in the files
        > section if you want.

      • jceklosk
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
          Alan,

          I posted busybox 1.00 built on the Linkstation II (mips)
          Untar in /usr/local, add /usr/local/busybox/bin and
          /usr/local/busybox/sbin at the end of your PATH.

          This also includes a bunch of other missing tools.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
            wrote:
            > Alan,
            >
            > I posted busybox 1.00 built on the Linkstation II (mips)
            > Untar in /usr/local, add /usr/local/busybox/bin and
            > /usr/local/busybox/sbin at the end of your PATH.
            >
            > This also includes a bunch of other missing tools.

            Can you give us a list of the features you compiled into your busybox?
            At least post the config file?
          • ajr15uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2005
              James,

              I guess if I list out the links this will pretty much show what is
              included with that busybox binary - all the commands I've tried so
              far
              work which is even better than I'd hoped. - Many thanks Joe!

              /usr/local/busybox/bin:
              [ cp expr hostname more rm telnet unzip ash crontab false id
              mount rmdir test uptime basename cut fdformat install mv rpm
              tftp usleep bunzip2 date fgrep kill netstat sed time vi busybox dd
              find killall nslookup sh touch wc bzcat deallocvt free ln od
              sha1sum tr wget cat df ftpget logger openvt sleep traceroute which
              chgrp dirname ftpput login pidof sort true whoami chmod dmesg grep
              ls ping strings tty xargs chown du gunzip md5sum ps sync umount yes
              chvt echo gzip mkdir pwd tail uname zcat clear egrep head mknod
              readlink tar uncompress cmp env hexdump mktemp reset tee uniq

              /usr/local/busybox/sbin:
              adjtimex fdisk ifconfig klogd poweroff route swapon
              telnetd chroot halt init pivot_root reboot swapoff syslogd

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2005
                Reposted with .config.

                Joe