Re: 'vi' editor on linkstation II

  • jceklosk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
      I can post a version of vi for MIPS on in the files
      section if you want.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ajr15uk" <arowe@f...> wrote:

        > OK - this probably seems like a dumb question, but where can I find
        > the VI editor for linkstation with MIPS processor?

        Well, there certainly is one in the Debian repository:

        ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/v/vim/

        The problem is that they are in .deb packaging format. You can
        manually unpack them with a combination of the "ar" archiver utility
        and "tar". But it is probably better just to use the Debian "dpkg"
        utility, but it is also in the .deb format so you have a
        cart-before-the-horse problem.

        If you would like to go this direction, let me know and I can get you
        a version of dpkg stripped down to a ".tgz" format that you can just
        use "tar -zxf <filename>" in you LS to begin this bootstrap process.
      • ajr15uk
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
          Joe,

          Are you running Debian on LS? - If not, and you have a version of VI
          which runs on the standard LS install, then I would appreciate it if
          you could post a copy. I'm sure it would be useful to all.

          I've tried the version for Debian suggested by James Stewart in this
          thread, but it needs other libraries which are not present on the LS.

          Maybe I need to get another LS to install Debian onto as I don't want
          to 'break' the current one's functionallity just yet.

          Many thanks,

          Alan.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk" <jceklosk@y...>
          wrote:
          > I can post a version of vi for MIPS on in the files
          > section if you want.

        • jceklosk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
            Alan,

            I posted busybox 1.00 built on the Linkstation II (mips)
            Untar in /usr/local, add /usr/local/busybox/bin and
            /usr/local/busybox/sbin at the end of your PATH.

            This also includes a bunch of other missing tools.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
              wrote:
              > Alan,
              >
              > I posted busybox 1.00 built on the Linkstation II (mips)
              > Untar in /usr/local, add /usr/local/busybox/bin and
              > /usr/local/busybox/sbin at the end of your PATH.
              >
              > This also includes a bunch of other missing tools.

              Can you give us a list of the features you compiled into your busybox?
              At least post the config file?
            • ajr15uk
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2005
                James,

                I guess if I list out the links this will pretty much show what is
                included with that busybox binary - all the commands I've tried so
                far
                work which is even better than I'd hoped. - Many thanks Joe!

                /usr/local/busybox/bin:
                [ cp expr hostname more rm telnet unzip ash crontab false id
                mount rmdir test uptime basename cut fdformat install mv rpm
                tftp usleep bunzip2 date fgrep kill netstat sed time vi busybox dd
                find killall nslookup sh touch wc bzcat deallocvt free ln od
                sha1sum tr wget cat df ftpget logger openvt sleep traceroute which
                chgrp dirname ftpput login pidof sort true whoami chmod dmesg grep
                ls ping strings tty xargs chown du gunzip md5sum ps sync umount yes
                chvt echo gzip mkdir pwd tail uname zcat clear egrep head mknod
                readlink tar uncompress cmp env hexdump mktemp reset tee uniq

                /usr/local/busybox/sbin:
                adjtimex fdisk ifconfig klogd poweroff route swapon
                telnetd chroot halt init pivot_root reboot swapoff syslogd

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2005
                  Reposted with .config.

                  Joe