Re: Linkstation II and xbox.

  • Trevor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3 2:45 PM
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluepointvance"
      <bluepointvance@h...> wrote:
      > I recently got a 160 gb linkstation (firmware ver 2.0.) for use with
      > my modified x-box. The idea was to have the linkstation store all my
      > media files so I could access them through the linux based XBMC (Xbox
      > Media Center homebrew) via SAMBA.

      XBMC isn't based on Linux. It uses the XDK which is why you can't
      officially just grab it off a website.

      > Some of the directories took FOREVER to load (upto a minute just to
      > get a directory containing 24 files), while others poped up instantly.
      > Always the same two or three diectories performed slowly. No rhyme or
      > reason to it that I could see.

      I get a similar problem when I tried XBMC with my TeraStation. The
      initial directory listing takes about 10 seconds to load up. It only
      occurs with XBMC as it works fine with my Mac and other Linux
      machines. The Windows machines I've got also work fine with no delays.

      Judging by the fact that everything else seems to have no problems in
      getting a directory listing I'd say it is a problem with XBMC somewhere.

      > I called Buffalo tech support. The guy didn't realy know what SAMBA
      > was and "escalated" me to the second teir support who will
      > apparently call me by sometime next week.

      Not surprising. Samba is actually the name of the open source package
      that implements the SMB/CIFS protocol which is what Windows file
      sharing uses. Next time if you need to talk to their technical
      support, just say Windows file sharing doesn't work or is slow as
      they'll understand what you mean.

      The Linkstation/Terastation actually uses Samba itself to do the
      sharing. XBMC uses part of the Samba libraries to mount the Windows
      shares. No clue what is wrong exactly with it. It may just be an
      older version of the library they're using which is buggy. You got
      the latest version of XBMC?

      - Trevor
    • bluepointvance
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4 10:03 AM

        > Not surprising. Samba is actually the name of the open source
        package
        > that implements the SMB/CIFS protocol which is what Windows file
        > sharing uses. Next time if you need to talk to their technical
        > support, just say Windows file sharing doesn't work or is slow as
        > they'll understand what you mean.
        >
        > The Linkstation/Terastation actually uses Samba itself to do the
        > sharing. XBMC uses part of the Samba libraries to mount the Windows
        > shares. No clue what is wrong exactly with it. It may just be an
        > older version of the library they're using which is buggy. You got
        > the latest version of XBMC?
        >
        > - Trevor

        Thanks for the info.

        I took your advice and upgraded to the lastest version of XBMC. That
        didn't help in and of itself -- but the newer versions of XBMC have a
        seperate SAMBA set up in the main .xml file.

        They have a SAMBA debuglevel value you can set from 0 to 10. Setting
        it at 10 slows the whole system to a crawl. But if you put it at five,
        it seems to run quite nicely.

        So you were right, this was an XBMC problem -- not a Linkstation
        problem.

        Thanks again for the reply,

        Bluepoint