Linkstation II and xbox.

  • bluepointvance
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
      I recently got a 160 gb linkstation (firmware ver 2.0.) for use with
      my modified x-box. The idea was to have the linkstation store all my
      media files so I could access them through the linux based XBMC (Xbox
      Media Center homebrew) via SAMBA.

      Anyway, once I got all my video files onto the unit (about 80 gigs
      worth) and started playing around with it in XBMC something strange
      happened:

      Some of the directories took FOREVER to load (upto a minute just to
      get a directory containing 24 files), while others poped up instantly.
      Always the same two or three diectories performed slowly. No rhyme or
      reason to it that I could see.

      I called Buffalo tech support. The guy didn't realy know what SAMBA
      was and "escalated" me to the second teir support who will apparently
      call me by sometime next week.

      When I mentioned that I had firmware ver 2.00 and asked for an update,
      he sent me the ftp info to get 2.04. Which I did. And here's where it
      gets weirder:

      Before installing the new firmware I had to copy my files back to my
      main pc hard drive (just in case.) Anyway, while I did that, I went
      back over to the xbox to play around a little more, expecting the
      linkstation to be piss-poor-slow now it was in the process of copying
      files back to my computer... only it wasn't.

      It was lightning quick. I could stream files, surf the directories,
      whatever -- and it all worked flawlessly. But then the transfer of
      files back to my pc finished and it instantly went back to the same
      old randomly slow performace. The same directories were affected.

      I updated the firmware. That didn't help. Any ideas? Do I just have a
      bogus unit? Does it have something to do with the xbox SAMBA?

      Any thoughts appreciated. I'd love to keep this thing, if I can.

      Thanks.

      P.S. I have the linkstation and my computer and x-box all connected
      with ethernet cables to a buffalo wireless router. If that matters.
    • Trevor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluepointvance"
        <bluepointvance@h...> wrote:
        > I recently got a 160 gb linkstation (firmware ver 2.0.) for use with
        > my modified x-box. The idea was to have the linkstation store all my
        > media files so I could access them through the linux based XBMC (Xbox
        > Media Center homebrew) via SAMBA.

        XBMC isn't based on Linux. It uses the XDK which is why you can't
        officially just grab it off a website.

        > Some of the directories took FOREVER to load (upto a minute just to
        > get a directory containing 24 files), while others poped up instantly.
        > Always the same two or three diectories performed slowly. No rhyme or
        > reason to it that I could see.

        I get a similar problem when I tried XBMC with my TeraStation. The
        initial directory listing takes about 10 seconds to load up. It only
        occurs with XBMC as it works fine with my Mac and other Linux
        machines. The Windows machines I've got also work fine with no delays.

        Judging by the fact that everything else seems to have no problems in
        getting a directory listing I'd say it is a problem with XBMC somewhere.

        > I called Buffalo tech support. The guy didn't realy know what SAMBA
        > was and "escalated" me to the second teir support who will
        > apparently call me by sometime next week.

        Not surprising. Samba is actually the name of the open source package
        that implements the SMB/CIFS protocol which is what Windows file
        sharing uses. Next time if you need to talk to their technical
        support, just say Windows file sharing doesn't work or is slow as
        they'll understand what you mean.

        The Linkstation/Terastation actually uses Samba itself to do the
        sharing. XBMC uses part of the Samba libraries to mount the Windows
        shares. No clue what is wrong exactly with it. It may just be an
        older version of the library they're using which is buggy. You got
        the latest version of XBMC?

        - Trevor
      • bluepointvance
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2005

          > Not surprising. Samba is actually the name of the open source
          package
          > that implements the SMB/CIFS protocol which is what Windows file
          > sharing uses. Next time if you need to talk to their technical
          > support, just say Windows file sharing doesn't work or is slow as
          > they'll understand what you mean.
          >
          > The Linkstation/Terastation actually uses Samba itself to do the
          > sharing. XBMC uses part of the Samba libraries to mount the Windows
          > shares. No clue what is wrong exactly with it. It may just be an
          > older version of the library they're using which is buggy. You got
          > the latest version of XBMC?
          >
          > - Trevor

          Thanks for the info.

          I took your advice and upgraded to the lastest version of XBMC. That
          didn't help in and of itself -- but the newer versions of XBMC have a
          seperate SAMBA set up in the main .xml file.

          They have a SAMBA debuglevel value you can set from 0 to 10. Setting
          it at 10 slows the whole system to a crawl. But if you put it at five,
          it seems to run quite nicely.

          So you were right, this was an XBMC problem -- not a Linkstation
          problem.

          Thanks again for the reply,

          Bluepoint