'vi' editor on linkstation II

  • ajr15uk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
      OK - this probably seems like a dumb question, but where can I find
      the
      VI editor for linkstation with MIPS processor?

      P.S. - I've searched high and low for this and can't find one. Got
      the
      linkstation two days ago, and it's brilliant - installed the 2.05
      hacked image and got Twonky 2.8 running fine which is pretty much all
      wanted at the time I bought it, but now I see it could do so much
      more! Just want SSH and Apache now :)

      Thanks,

      Alan.
    • jceklosk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
        I can post a version of vi for MIPS on in the files
        section if you want.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ajr15uk" <arowe@f...> wrote:

          > OK - this probably seems like a dumb question, but where can I find
          > the VI editor for linkstation with MIPS processor?

          Well, there certainly is one in the Debian repository:

          ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/v/vim/

          The problem is that they are in .deb packaging format. You can
          manually unpack them with a combination of the "ar" archiver utility
          and "tar". But it is probably better just to use the Debian "dpkg"
          utility, but it is also in the .deb format so you have a
          cart-before-the-horse problem.

          If you would like to go this direction, let me know and I can get you
          a version of dpkg stripped down to a ".tgz" format that you can just
          use "tar -zxf <filename>" in you LS to begin this bootstrap process.
        • ajr15uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
            Joe,

            Are you running Debian on LS? - If not, and you have a version of VI
            which runs on the standard LS install, then I would appreciate it if
            you could post a copy. I'm sure it would be useful to all.

            I've tried the version for Debian suggested by James Stewart in this
            thread, but it needs other libraries which are not present on the LS.

            Maybe I need to get another LS to install Debian onto as I don't want
            to 'break' the current one's functionallity just yet.

            Many thanks,

            Alan.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk" <jceklosk@y...>
            wrote:
            > I can post a version of vi for MIPS on in the files
            > section if you want.

          • jceklosk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
              Alan,

              I posted busybox 1.00 built on the Linkstation II (mips)
              Untar in /usr/local, add /usr/local/busybox/bin and
              /usr/local/busybox/sbin at the end of your PATH.

              This also includes a bunch of other missing tools.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
                wrote:
                > Alan,
                >
                > I posted busybox 1.00 built on the Linkstation II (mips)
                > Untar in /usr/local, add /usr/local/busybox/bin and
                > /usr/local/busybox/sbin at the end of your PATH.
                >
                > This also includes a bunch of other missing tools.

                Can you give us a list of the features you compiled into your busybox?
                At least post the config file?
              • ajr15uk
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2005
                  James,

                  I guess if I list out the links this will pretty much show what is
                  included with that busybox binary - all the commands I've tried so
                  far
                  work which is even better than I'd hoped. - Many thanks Joe!

                  /usr/local/busybox/bin:
                  [ cp expr hostname more rm telnet unzip ash crontab false id
                  mount rmdir test uptime basename cut fdformat install mv rpm
                  tftp usleep bunzip2 date fgrep kill netstat sed time vi busybox dd
                  find killall nslookup sh touch wc bzcat deallocvt free ln od
                  sha1sum tr wget cat df ftpget logger openvt sleep traceroute which
                  chgrp dirname ftpput login pidof sort true whoami chmod dmesg grep
                  ls ping strings tty xargs chown du gunzip md5sum ps sync umount yes
                  chvt echo gzip mkdir pwd tail uname zcat clear egrep head mknod
                  readlink tar uncompress cmp env hexdump mktemp reset tee uniq

                  /usr/local/busybox/sbin:
                  adjtimex fdisk ifconfig klogd poweroff route swapon
                  telnetd chroot halt init pivot_root reboot swapoff syslogd

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 5, 2005
                    Reposted with .config.

                    Joe