Re: Linkstation lock-ups?

  • Mlehrer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
      Mine locks up anytime my GSM Motorola cell phone is within 5 feet of it.
      I can reproduce it everytime..

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lemke <steve@l...>
      wrote:
      > Just about every time I try to access my 160GB (PowerPC?) Linkstation
      > lately (every couple of days or so), I find that it is totally
      > unresponsive. Sometimes I notice that the drive is starting up and
      > spinning down over and over (not constantly, but as I'm sitting here
      at
      > my desk), though I don't know if that's related or not.
      >
      > When it's locked up, I find that I can't access the web page, telnet
      is
      > dead, and mt-daapd is unresponsive as well.

    • Steve Lemke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
        Matt wrote:
        > Mine locks up anytime my GSM Motorola cell phone is within 5 feet of
        > it.
        > I can reproduce it everytime..

        Hmmm. My Linkstation sits on my desk, just hanging out under a Dell
        laptop/monitor stand on which I usually put my laptop. The key is that
        I often set my Treo (GSM Smartphone) on the laptop, next to the
        trackpad. So the phone is just a few inches away from the LinkStation.

        When the phone is near my answering machine or car stereo or Polycom
        speakerphone at work, I can often "hear" the GSM transmissions. I'm
        still somewhat surprised that this is capable of locking up the
        Linkstation, but it sounds reasonable given that I often have the Treo
        so close to the Linkstation.

        Thanks for the tip! I'll look for a better place to put the
        Linkstation to live (and still within reach of, but not _too_ close to
        my UPS).