Logrotate not rotating in LS stock firmwares 1.4x

  • chano22000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
      I currently run 1.45_13 firmware which is supposed to rotate daily
      the /var/log files over the week.

      But I never get any compressed and rotated file as configured
      in /etc/logrotate.conf.

      Invoking manually (with the -dv options for debug) the cron
      task /usr/sbin/logrotate -dv /etc/logrotate.conf shows that the
      config file and the /etc/logrotate.d scripts are normaly parsed. But
      I get a "log does not need rotating" result for every log file which
      shows why nothing happens.

      As a consequence the /var/log files grow permanently and about to
      fill up the partition.

      The newer firmwares (1.46_10, 1.47(_12)) are very similar (easy now
      to check with password available - thanks - and tools like Beyond
      Compare on Windows) regarding this issue except :
      - they now include a mecanism in (/etc/cron.d/logrotate
      and /etc/init.d/logmgr ) to delete /var/log files
      or /usr/tmp/log.tar.gz log backup file when there is only 1 Mo left.
      - some processes are not logged any more
      - the cron related directories are slightly different

      Does anyone have any clue on this malfunction ?

      Thanks.

      Chano22000
    • sdhfsdh
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2005
        Hello,

        I changed /etc/crontab

        SHELL=/bin/bash
        PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
        MAILTO=
        HOME=/

        02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
        05 4 * * * root /etc/cron.d/calib_time.sh

        SHELL=/bin/bash
        PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
        MAILTO=""
        HOME=/

        ### Cron-Eintraege ###
        00 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
        55 23 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
        55 23 * * 7 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
        55 23 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

        because my Linkstation sleeps from 0:00 to 6:00 and only changing

        02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily

        55 23 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily

        doesn't work for me!

        Try it!

        cu Andreas

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chano22000"