Linkstation lock-ups?

  • Steve Lemke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
      Just about every time I try to access my 160GB (PowerPC?) Linkstation
      lately (every couple of days or so), I find that it is totally
      unresponsive. Sometimes I notice that the drive is starting up and
      spinning down over and over (not constantly, but as I'm sitting here at
      my desk), though I don't know if that's related or not.

      When it's locked up, I find that I can't access the web page, telnet is
      dead, and mt-daapd is unresponsive as well.

      It's entirely possible that mt-daapd could be at fault here, but a
      quick Google search turned up the following user review that seems to
      echo what I've been finding:

      <http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-3382_7-30980068.html?
      messageSiteID=7&messageID=946009&cval=946009&ctype=msgid>

      I've been on this list for many months and don't recall this topic
      coming up before but it's possible I may have missed it.

      I guess I could disable mt-daapd and see if the problem stops, but that
      kind of removes the primary reason I had for buying the Linkstation in
      the first place (besides backups via Retrospect).

      When I log in, the prompt says "2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint". The web page
      says I have firmware 1.44 (I haven't been too keen on upgrading
      anything for fear of losing my telnet access; the only thing that would
      entice me would be a newer OSX-happier version of netatalk since I
      haven't been interested in hacking that in myself).

      I haven't changed anything really, except enabling telnet, and
      installing mt-daap 0.2.1.1 which appears to still be the latest
      "stable" release. mt-daapd works great after a reboot, but I usually
      notice that the Linkstation is wedged when I try to play tunes from
      iTunes (or via Samba from my AudioTron) and the music never comes.

      Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • irvine_stock
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
        Your lockups are probably caused by the 1.44 firmware.
        I had the same problem a year ago.
        How long have you put up with the lockups?
        With the new 1.47_modified you get telnet enabled and you don't have
        to hack it anymore.
        And you know the password for root.
        Upgrade and I bet all your problems go away.

        Rich
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lemke <steve@l...>
        wrote:
        > Just about every time I try to access my 160GB (PowerPC?) Linkstation
        > lately (every couple of days or so), I find that it is totally
        > unresponsive. Sometimes I notice that the drive is starting up and
        > spinning down over and over (not constantly, but as I'm sitting here
        at
        > my desk), though I don't know if that's related or not.
        >
        > When it's locked up, I find that I can't access the web page, telnet
        is
        > dead, and mt-daapd is unresponsive as well.
        >
        > It's entirely possible that mt-daapd could be at fault here, but a
        > quick Google search turned up the following user review that seems to
        > echo what I've been finding:
        >
        > <http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-3382_7-30980068.html?
        > messageSiteID=7&messageID=946009&cval=946009&ctype=msgid>
        >
        > I've been on this list for many months and don't recall this topic
        > coming up before but it's possible I may have missed it.
        >
        > I guess I could disable mt-daapd and see if the problem stops, but
        that
        > kind of removes the primary reason I had for buying the Linkstation in
        > the first place (besides backups via Retrospect).
        >
        > When I log in, the prompt says "2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint". The web page
        > says I have firmware 1.44 (I haven't been too keen on upgrading
        > anything for fear of losing my telnet access; the only thing that
        would
        > entice me would be a newer OSX-happier version of netatalk since I
        > haven't been interested in hacking that in myself).
        >
        > I haven't changed anything really, except enabling telnet, and
        > installing mt-daap 0.2.1.1 which appears to still be the latest
        > "stable" release. mt-daapd works great after a reboot, but I usually
        > notice that the Linkstation is wedged when I try to play tunes from
        > iTunes (or via Samba from my AudioTron) and the music never comes.
        >
        > Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      • Ron Thacker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
          Had very similar problems with mine also. I found out
          the Linkstation is very sensitive to external
          electro-magnetic fields. Sometime just by moving it a
          little it would stop the lockups.
          After I put the Linkstation in its permant home it
          started locking again, it was within 3" of a ups. I
          made a shield out of sheet metal and placed between
          the ups and the Linky and all is well.
          PS. I have 2 120 Linkys and both have this problem.

          __________________________________
          Discover Yahoo!
        • Mlehrer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
            Mine locks up anytime my GSM Motorola cell phone is within 5 feet of it.
            I can reproduce it everytime..

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
              Matt wrote:
              > Mine locks up anytime my GSM Motorola cell phone is within 5 feet of
              > it.
              > I can reproduce it everytime..

              Hmmm. My Linkstation sits on my desk, just hanging out under a Dell
              laptop/monitor stand on which I usually put my laptop. The key is that
              I often set my Treo (GSM Smartphone) on the laptop, next to the
              trackpad. So the phone is just a few inches away from the LinkStation.

              When the phone is near my answering machine or car stereo or Polycom
              speakerphone at work, I can often "hear" the GSM transmissions. I'm
              still somewhat surprised that this is capable of locking up the
              Linkstation, but it sounds reasonable given that I often have the Treo
              so close to the Linkstation.

              Thanks for the tip! I'll look for a better place to put the
              Linkstation to live (and still within reach of, but not _too_ close to
              my UPS).