Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: POSTED: Custom 1.47 firmware with telnet daemon included

  • Ross Burton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
      On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 20:41 +0000, wedgemusic wrote:
      > Isn't 1.47 the final 1.xx firmware release? Does anyone else have an
      > opinion on how the custom firmware should be labeled?

      Take the version number of the original firmware and add ".customN"
      where N is a unique incrementing number.

      If this is based on 1.47, then I say this image should be 1.47.custom1.

      Ross
      --
      Ross Burton mail: ross@...
      jabber: ross@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
        On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:12:58PM -0000, wedgemusic wrote:
        > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
        > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
        > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
        > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
        > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
        > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
        > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
        > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
        > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
        > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.

        What steps did you take to create these custom firmwares?

        Derek

        > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
        >
        > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
        > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in this?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • balimbabullabe
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
          > What steps did you take to create these custom firmwares?

          I don't want to answer for wedgemusic but I can tell you that the
          steps that are described in the hacking how-to for the LS2 will also
          work for LS1.
          But I would recommend that wedgemusic is the "master" of alternative
          firmwares for LS1: you don't necessarily need to create another
          firmware derivative, just use his telnet firmware and create add-on
          packages
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 18, 2005
            I don't mind someone so knowledgable as you answering for me :) I used
            balimbabullabe's method in the LinkStation II hacking PDF, the
            firmware 1.xx password previously posted in this Yahoo group, and some
            precompiled binaries from the Debian distro.

            PS: Sorry for the delay in answering but I had midterms!

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"