Fw: [LinkStation_General] Re: POSTED: Custom 1.47 firmware with telnet daemon included

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2005
      At the moment the best I can think of would be the add the suffix
      "_Modified" and in a readme or change log state how it was modified from the
      original. I do agree the that calling it 1.48 will lead to much confusion
      when buffalo releases a 1.48 as I don't think 1.47 will be the last version
      for the PPC Linkstation. I would also think that we would want to be
      consistent in naming such for the MIPS Linkstation.

      JR
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2005
        OK, the "ayes" have it. I have renamed it to 1.47_modified.

      • TechHeavy
        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2005
          > OK, the "ayes" have it. I have renamed it to 1.47_modified.

          Wedge, thanks for posting this firmware mod. I did a similar thing but
          it's more of a patch to the stock 1.47 firmware, and as a result the
          download is only 18KB: http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/000180.html.

          Mine isn't tested, and I'm sure it's not as polished as yours. I made
          it only as a proof of concept for a distribution mechanism. If
          everyone starts with a copy of the official 1.47 Linkstation firmware
          and then we distribute tiny patch files, then bandwidth won't be a big
          issue.
        • TechHeavy
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2005
            > download is only 18KB: http://www.sowbug.org/mt/
            archives/000180.html.

            That's a bummer -- Yahoo decided to make the period at the end of the
            sentence part of the link. Try this:

            http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/000180.html
          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "TechHeavy"
              <mike.tsao@g...> wrote:
              > > download is only 18KB: http://www.sowbug.org/mt/
              > archives/000180.html.
              >
              > That's a bummer -- Yahoo decided to make the period at the end of the
              > sentence part of the link. Try this:
              >
              > http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/000180.html

              the link is working but when i click on "this tarball" i get a "404
              not found" for /mt/archives/mt/archives/mod_ls_firmware.tar.gz.

              BUT: A very nice idea to do a script which modifies the standard
              firmware. Because that way you dont need to upload and host a 37 mb
              big file....that saves time and bandwidth. i am indifferent in
              downloading a full featured firmware or a script that performes the
              changes....if everything works :p

              Regards
              Mindbender
            • TechHeavy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                > the link is working but when i click on "this tarball" i get a "404
                > not found" for /mt/archives/mt/archives/mod_ls_firmware.tar.gz.

                Thanks, Mindbender. I fixed it (it worked on my blog home page but not
                on the archived article page). I shouldn't write HTML so late at
                night.

                Download is http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/mod_ls_firmware.tar.gz

                Article is http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/000180.html
              • cherrytreeproduction
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                  <mike.tsao@g...> wrote:
                  > > the link is working but when i click on "this tarball" i get a "404
                  > > not found" for /mt/archives/mt/archives/mod_ls_firmware.tar.gz.
                  >
                  > Thanks, Mindbender. I fixed it (it worked on my blog home page but not
                  > on the archived article page). I shouldn't write HTML so late at
                  > night.
                  >
                  > Download is http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/mod_ls_firmware.tar.gz
                  >
                  > Article is http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/000180.html

                  Download is working now...

                  If i understand right it is possible to run this script on a
                  linux-machine...even on the LS itself i think.

                  Can you write a short tutorial how to use your script in the wiki?

                  http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/

                  Because for a Windows-User it is not clear how to use it.

                  Thanks!

                  Regards
                  Mindbender
                • wedgemusic
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                    I agree, write an article for the wiki! And yes, I changed the root
                    password to "root" in the 1.47_modified firmware.