Re: POSTED: Custom 1.47 firmware with telnet daemon included

  • stratmoens
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2005
      I would think that you should not use a version number that can be
      potentially confused with a future OEM release...

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
      <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
      > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
      > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
      > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
      > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
      > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
      > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
      > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
      > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
      > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
      > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.
      >
      > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
      >
      > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
      > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in
      this?
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2005
        Isn't 1.47 the final 1.xx firmware release? Does anyone else have an
        opinion on how the custom firmware should be labeled?

        PS: Sorry about the tracker problems earlier; it's all working now.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
        <strat012@c...> wrote:
        > I would think that you should not use a version number that can be
        > potentially confused with a future OEM release...

        > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
        > > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
        > > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
        > > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
        > > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
        > > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
        > > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
        > > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
        > > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
        > > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.
        > >
        > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
        > >
        > > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
        > > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in
        > this?
      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2005
          I don't know if you already did this but why not update the root password to
          something like admin or linkstation as well.

          JR

          > At the moment the best I can think of would be the add the suffix
          > "_Modified" and in a readme or change log state how it was modified from
          > the
          > original. I do agree the that calling it 1.48 will lead to much confusion
          > when buffalo releases a 1.48 as I don't think 1.47 will be the last
          > version
          > for the PPC Linkstation. I would also think that we would want to be
          > consistent in naming such for the MIPS Linkstation.
          >
          > JR

        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
            <jronald@c...> wrote:
            > I don't know if you already did this but why not update the root
            password to
            > something like admin or linkstation as well.

            yeah...he is right..that would save time and sweat for everyone.

            Regards
            Mindbender
          • Ross Burton
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
              On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 20:41 +0000, wedgemusic wrote:
              > Isn't 1.47 the final 1.xx firmware release? Does anyone else have an
              > opinion on how the custom firmware should be labeled?

              Take the version number of the original firmware and add ".customN"
              where N is a unique incrementing number.

              If this is based on 1.47, then I say this image should be 1.47.custom1.

              Ross
              --
              Ross Burton mail: ross@...
              jabber: ross@...
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
                On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:12:58PM -0000, wedgemusic wrote:
                > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
                > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
                > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
                > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
                > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
                > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
                > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
                > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
                > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
                > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.

                What steps did you take to create these custom firmwares?

                Derek

                > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
                >
                > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
                > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in this?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • balimbabullabe
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
                  > What steps did you take to create these custom firmwares?

                  I don't want to answer for wedgemusic but I can tell you that the
                  steps that are described in the hacking how-to for the LS2 will also
                  work for LS1.
                  But I would recommend that wedgemusic is the "master" of alternative
                  firmwares for LS1: you don't necessarily need to create another
                  firmware derivative, just use his telnet firmware and create add-on
                  packages
                • wedgemusic
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 18, 2005
                    I don't mind someone so knowledgable as you answering for me :) I used
                    balimbabullabe's method in the LinkStation II hacking PDF, the
                    firmware 1.xx password previously posted in this Yahoo group, and some
                    precompiled binaries from the Debian distro.

                    PS: Sorry for the delay in answering but I had midterms!

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"