Re: POSTED: Custom 1.47 firmware with telnet daemon included

  • lb_worm
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
      <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
      > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
      > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
      > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
      > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
      > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
      > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
      > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
      > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
      > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
      > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.
      >
      > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
      >
      > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
      > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in
      this?

      This is great. I took a peek at the wiki filespage but did not see the
      download. Maybe it is not yet available?
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2005
        I just posted it. Refresh the page.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lb_worm"
        <bobateiger@h...> wrote:
        > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
        > > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
        > > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
        > > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
        > > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
        > > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
        > > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
        > > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
        > > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
        > > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.
        > >
        > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
        > >
        > > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
        > > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in
        > this?
        >
        > This is great. I took a peek at the wiki filespage but did not see the
        > download. Maybe it is not yet available?
      • stratmoens
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2005
          I would think that you should not use a version number that can be
          potentially confused with a future OEM release...

          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2005
            Isn't 1.47 the final 1.xx firmware release? Does anyone else have an
            opinion on how the custom firmware should be labeled?

            PS: Sorry about the tracker problems earlier; it's all working now.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
            <strat012@c...> wrote:
            > I would think that you should not use a version number that can be
            > potentially confused with a future OEM release...

            > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
            > > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
            > > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
            > > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
            > > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
            > > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
            > > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
            > > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
            > > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
            > > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
            > > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.
            > >
            > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
            > >
            > > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
            > > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in
            > this?
          • James Ronald
            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2005
              I don't know if you already did this but why not update the root password to
              something like admin or linkstation as well.

              JR

              > At the moment the best I can think of would be the add the suffix
              > "_Modified" and in a readme or change log state how it was modified from
              > the
              > original. I do agree the that calling it 1.48 will lead to much confusion
              > when buffalo releases a 1.48 as I don't think 1.47 will be the last
              > version
              > for the PPC Linkstation. I would also think that we would want to be
              > consistent in naming such for the MIPS Linkstation.
              >
              > JR

            • cherrytreeproduction
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
                <jronald@c...> wrote:
                > I don't know if you already did this but why not update the root
                password to
                > something like admin or linkstation as well.

                yeah...he is right..that would save time and sweat for everyone.

                Regards
                Mindbender
              • Ross Burton
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
                  On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 20:41 +0000, wedgemusic wrote:
                  > Isn't 1.47 the final 1.xx firmware release? Does anyone else have an
                  > opinion on how the custom firmware should be labeled?

                  Take the version number of the original firmware and add ".customN"
                  where N is a unique incrementing number.

                  If this is based on 1.47, then I say this image should be 1.47.custom1.

                  Ross
                  --
                  Ross Burton mail: ross@...
                  jabber: ross@...
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
                    On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:12:58PM -0000, wedgemusic wrote:
                    > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
                    > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
                    > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
                    > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
                    > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
                    > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
                    > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
                    > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
                    > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
                    > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.

                    What steps did you take to create these custom firmwares?

                    Derek

                    > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
                    >
                    > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
                    > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in this?
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • balimbabullabe
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
                      > What steps did you take to create these custom firmwares?

                      I don't want to answer for wedgemusic but I can tell you that the
                      steps that are described in the hacking how-to for the LS2 will also
                      work for LS1.
                      But I would recommend that wedgemusic is the "master" of alternative
                      firmwares for LS1: you don't necessarily need to create another
                      firmware derivative, just use his telnet firmware and create add-on
                      packages
                    • wedgemusic
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 18, 2005
                        I don't mind someone so knowledgable as you answering for me :) I used
                        balimbabullabe's method in the LinkStation II hacking PDF, the
                        firmware 1.xx password previously posted in this Yahoo group, and some
                        precompiled binaries from the Debian distro.

                        PS: Sorry for the delay in answering but I had midterms!

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"