POSTED: Custom 1.47 firmware with telnet daemon included

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2005
      I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
      included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
      with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
      modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
      few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
      You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
      connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
      older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
      warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
      LinkStationWiki FilesPage.

      http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki

      I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
      additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in this?
    • lb_worm
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
        <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
        > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
        > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
        > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
        > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
        > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
        > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
        > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
        > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
        > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.
        >
        > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
        >
        > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
        > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in
        this?

        This is great. I took a peek at the wiki filespage but did not see the
        download. Maybe it is not yet available?
      • wedgemusic
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2005
          I just posted it. Refresh the page.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lb_worm"
          <bobateiger@h...> wrote:
          > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
          > > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
          > > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
          > > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
          > > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
          > > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
          > > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
          > > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
          > > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
          > > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.
          > >
          > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
          > >
          > > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
          > > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in
          > this?
          >
          > This is great. I took a peek at the wiki filespage but did not see the
          > download. Maybe it is not yet available?
        • stratmoens
          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2005
            I would think that you should not use a version number that can be
            potentially confused with a future OEM release...

            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2005
              Isn't 1.47 the final 1.xx firmware release? Does anyone else have an
              opinion on how the custom firmware should be labeled?

              PS: Sorry about the tracker problems earlier; it's all working now.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"
              <strat012@c...> wrote:
              > I would think that you should not use a version number that can be
              > potentially confused with a future OEM release...

              > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
              > > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
              > > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
              > > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
              > > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
              > > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
              > > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
              > > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
              > > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
              > > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
              > > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.
              > >
              > > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
              > >
              > > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
              > > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in
              > this?
            • James Ronald
              Message 6 of 11 , May 31, 2005
                I don't know if you already did this but why not update the root password to
                something like admin or linkstation as well.

                JR

                > At the moment the best I can think of would be the add the suffix
                > "_Modified" and in a readme or change log state how it was modified from
                > the
                > original. I do agree the that calling it 1.48 will lead to much confusion
                > when buffalo releases a 1.48 as I don't think 1.47 will be the last
                > version
                > for the PPC Linkstation. I would also think that we would want to be
                > consistent in naming such for the MIPS Linkstation.
                >
                > JR

              • cherrytreeproduction
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
                  <jronald@c...> wrote:
                  > I don't know if you already did this but why not update the root
                  password to
                  > something like admin or linkstation as well.

                  yeah...he is right..that would save time and sweat for everyone.

                  Regards
                  Mindbender
                • Ross Burton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2005
                    On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 20:41 +0000, wedgemusic wrote:
                    > Isn't 1.47 the final 1.xx firmware release? Does anyone else have an
                    > opinion on how the custom firmware should be labeled?

                    Take the version number of the original firmware and add ".customN"
                    where N is a unique incrementing number.

                    If this is based on 1.47, then I say this image should be 1.47.custom1.

                    Ross
                    --
                    Ross Burton mail: ross@...
                    jabber: ross@...
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
                      On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:12:58PM -0000, wedgemusic wrote:
                      > I've created a custom 1.47 firmware with the utelnetd telnet daemon
                      > included. This custom firmware is labeled 1.48 to avoid any confusion
                      > with official firmware versions. However, nothing has been upgraded or
                      > modified other than to include the utelnetd telnet daemon. I need a
                      > few people to test it and let me know if everything works properly.
                      > You should be able to run the custom firmware update as normal and
                      > connect to the LinkStation via telnet as is possible with 1.45_13 and
                      > older firmware. The firmware is provided as-is and without any
                      > warranty whatsoever. The file is posted as a torrent on the
                      > LinkStationWiki FilesPage.

                      What steps did you take to create these custom firmwares?

                      Derek

                      > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
                      >
                      > I'm also considering creating a custom firmware which includes the
                      > additional kernel modules such as iptables. Is anyone interested in this?
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • balimbabullabe
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 15, 2005
                        > What steps did you take to create these custom firmwares?

                        I don't want to answer for wedgemusic but I can tell you that the
                        steps that are described in the hacking how-to for the LS2 will also
                        work for LS1.
                        But I would recommend that wedgemusic is the "master" of alternative
                        firmwares for LS1: you don't necessarily need to create another
                        firmware derivative, just use his telnet firmware and create add-on
                        packages
                      • wedgemusic
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 18, 2005
                          I don't mind someone so knowledgable as you answering for me :) I used
                          balimbabullabe's method in the LinkStation II hacking PDF, the
                          firmware 1.xx password previously posted in this Yahoo group, and some
                          precompiled binaries from the Debian distro.

                          PS: Sorry for the delay in answering but I had midterms!

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"