Re: LS1: OpenVPN?

    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
      <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
      > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
      > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
      > custom firmware with the tun modules included?

      They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
      need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
      to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
      compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
      immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
      have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
      compatible libssl and liblzo1.

      So hopefully you can eventually tell us what all you did to get it
      to work in Debian at least?
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2005
        I'm still working on a tutorial. Hopefully I'll have it posted soon :)

        <wartstew@y...> wrote:
        > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
        > > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
        > > custom firmware with the tun modules included?
        >
        > They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
        > need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
        > to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
        > compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
        > immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
        > have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
        > compatible libssl and liblzo1.
        >
        > So hopefully you can eventually tell us what all you did to get it
        > to work in Debian at least?
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic" <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > Is that a stock or Debian-converted LinkStation? I've successfully
          > installed OpenVPN on a Debian LinkStation I.

          It's a stock LS 1.

          -Andre
        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart" <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
            > > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
            > > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
            > > custom firmware with the tun modules included?
            >
            > They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
            > need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
            > to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
            > compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
            > immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
            > have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
            > compatible libssl and liblzo1.

            Compiling OpenVPN 2.0 on a stock LS 1 is no problem, provided you have the kuro
            openssl binary installed. LZO compression is optional. The ./configure script will tell you
            what to do if it's not installed, and disabling LZO in the openvpn configuration is trivial.
            Just I would need to get the tun module to make use of it.

            -Andre