Putting Tivo HMO server on Linkstation

  • richone52
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2004
      Hi all.

      I want to get the Tivo HMO server software running on a Linkstation
      and there is a package called javaHMO located at

      http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/download.html

      which I would love to try and get running.

      Does anyone have any comments on this for the Linkstation? I would
      love some help in getting this done as I am kinda new to Linux.

      I have gotten the root password changed per everyone's instructions
      here (THANKS) and am ready to go to the next level.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2004
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "richone52"
        <richone52@h...> wrote:

        > I want to get the Tivo HMO server software running on a Linkstation
        > and there is a package called javaHMO located at
        >
        > http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/download.html
        >
        > which I would love to try and get running.
        >
        > Does anyone have any comments on this for the Linkstation? I would
        > love some help in getting this done as I am kinda new to Linux.

        Seems plausible. I guess I would start by installing Java, if that
        works, most of your battle should be over.
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2004
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:

          > Seems plausible. I guess I would start by installing Java, if that
          > works, most of your battle should be over.

          Has anyone had any luck installing Java on a Kuro or Linkstation? For
          me, JavaHMO is these devices' "killer app".
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 12, 2004
            I can't seem to find Java available for the PowerPC.
            What do MacIntosh users do for Java? Perhaps I'm not
            looking in the right places for it (Sun corp?). I
            guess with no Java, that would be a big show stopper
            for something like TiVo HMO.

            --- Dave <watsonc64@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James
            > Stewart"
            > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > Seems plausible. I guess I would start by
            > installing Java, if that
            > > works, most of your battle should be over.
            >
            > Has anyone had any luck installing Java on a Kuro or
            > Linkstation? For
            > me, JavaHMO is these devices' "killer app".

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 13, 2004
              <wartstew@y...> wrote:
              > I can't seem to find Java available for the PowerPC.
              > What do MacIntosh users do for Java? Perhaps I'm not
              > looking in the right places for it (Sun corp?). I
              > guess with no Java, that would be a big show stopper
              > for something like TiVo HMO.

              Mac users get their JVM straight from Apple. I guess they make some
              tweaks to it before releasing it to their users.

              It looks like you can download the 1.4.2 JVM here:

              http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/javaupdate142.html

              Some PPC Linux users have reported success with this JVM that IBM
              makes available for people developing on their PPC-based Linux servers
              (free download but registration required):

              http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux140/

              There's also the Blackdown project, which is making Linux ports of the
              JVM for some of the more popular architectures (PPC included). But,
              the furthest they've gotten for PPC is 1.3:

              http://www.blackdown.org/

              - Dave