Re: LS1: OpenVPN?

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic" <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
      > Is that a stock or Debian-converted LinkStation? I've successfully
      > installed OpenVPN on a Debian LinkStation I.

      It's the stock LS 1. OpenVPN does compile, but it's useless w/o the tun module. Could you
      make yours available please, so I could test it? Provided you're on firmware 1.45_13,
      otherwise, it wouldn't work, I fear.

      -Andre
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2005
        Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
        additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a custom
        firmware with the tun modules included?

        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2005
          <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
          > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
          > custom firmware with the tun modules included?

          They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
          need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
          to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
          compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
          immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
          have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
          compatible libssl and liblzo1.

          So hopefully you can eventually tell us what all you did to get it
          to work in Debian at least?
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2005
            I'm still working on a tutorial. Hopefully I'll have it posted soon :)

            <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
            > > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
            > > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
            > > custom firmware with the tun modules included?
            >
            > They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
            > need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
            > to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
            > compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
            > immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
            > have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
            > compatible libssl and liblzo1.
            >
            > So hopefully you can eventually tell us what all you did to get it
            > to work in Debian at least?
          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic" <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
              > Is that a stock or Debian-converted LinkStation? I've successfully
              > installed OpenVPN on a Debian LinkStation I.

              It's a stock LS 1.

              -Andre
            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart" <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                > > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
                > > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
                > > custom firmware with the tun modules included?
                >
                > They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
                > need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
                > to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
                > compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
                > immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
                > have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
                > compatible libssl and liblzo1.

                Compiling OpenVPN 2.0 on a stock LS 1 is no problem, provided you have the kuro
                openssl binary installed. LZO compression is optional. The ./configure script will tell you
                what to do if it's not installed, and disabling LZO in the openvpn configuration is trivial.
                Just I would need to get the tun module to make use of it.

                -Andre