Re: telnet access

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2005
      What telnet client are you using? Try the Putty client.

      http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "avocadinho"
      <malcolm@m...> wrote:
      > I've hit a problem telneting to my linkstation. I can't. The error
      > message is: "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
      > Connect failed" I know there are reported telnet problems with F/W
      > 1.46+, but my LS is claiming that I'm on 1.45. In fact, I can't
      > telnet anywhere, but that might be 'cos every server I can think of
      > blocked telnet access off yonks ago. i.e. I'm wondering that this
      > might be a telnet prob and not a LS prob...but thoguht I'd ask anyway.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Avo
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic" <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > What telnet client are you using? Try the Putty client.
        >
        > http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "avocadinho"
        > <malcolm@m...> wrote:
        > > I've hit a problem telneting to my linkstation. I can't. The error
        > > message is: "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
        > > Connect failed" I know there are reported telnet problems with F/W
        > > 1.46+, but my LS is claiming that I'm on 1.45. In fact, I can't
        > > telnet anywhere, but that might be 'cos every server I can think of
        > > blocked telnet access off yonks ago. i.e. I'm wondering that this
        > > might be a telnet prob and not a LS prob...but thoguht I'd ask anyway.

        Mine claimed the same, it must have been a later version of 1.45. Get 1.45_13, this one
        works beautifully.

        If you're on *X, the nmap command can tell you which ports are open:

        nmap ip.of.the.linkstation

        Telnetd (23/tcp) simply wasn't running on my system.

        -Andre
      • avocadinho
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2005
          Thanks for the reply!

          I had solved the problem anyway...basically it's all in this forum
          (just the search utility isn't fantastic so I had to trawl through a
          bit :-)

          The telnet prob. was all down to the firmware on the LS...I managed
          to find the original 1.45, installed it and "bingo!" had access.

          Cheers,

          AVO