Success with webcams on LS1 Debian

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      I've had some success with a webcam (a creative webcam 3 I believe)-
      which is a general ov511 style video4linux compatible.

      A short note to share in case others want to try...
      After installing hotplug and usbview.
      One should now be able to get a usb hard drive running (possibly
      needing to install autofs too).

      Plug in a webcam and usbview should come up with an ov511 entry.
      Install gqcam (just a program to check if there's a picture rather
      than any choice) and run from an xterm (within an installed vncserver
      running as root -as per http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net). First try
      shows an error - can't find /dev/video.
      Check and yes - nothing there.

      I then found makedev and its man page and dangerously tried:
      cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV -v video

      This tells you its spitting out lots of interfaces as /dev/videox
      where x is a number.

      Unplug and replug webcam (just to reconnect thro' hotplug?) then try
      gqcam again and up pops a gui window with a slow picture at 640x480.
      Also tried 'webcam' package but no gui came up -haven't checked if it
      actually has one or it just was incompatible with Icewm.
      Webcam server seems possible...