Download-Manager for the linkstation?

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2005
      Is it possible to install some sort of downloadmanager on the
      linkstation?

      i mean that would be a perfect feature.

      take the URL and paste it somewhere over telnet/ssh or perhaps even
      over a webinterface....turn off the pc and have a drink....that would
      be awesome....

      i am sure its possible with debian over vnc...but i dont want to
      change fully as long as there is the possibility that i can get this
      with a customized firmware as wel....as there are some guys
      customizing the firmwares i would really ask 4 this feature......

      Regards
      Mindbender
    • cherrytreeproduction

        Message 3 of 11 , May 30, 2005
          On Monday 30 May 2005 10:21 am, cherrytreeproduction wrote:
          > Is it possible to install some sort of downloadmanager on the
          > linkstation?
          >
          > i mean that would be a perfect feature.
          >
          > take the URL and paste it somewhere over telnet/ssh or perhaps even
          > over a webinterface....turn off the pc and have a drink....that would
          > be awesome....
          >
          > i am sure its possible with debian over vnc...but i dont want to
          > change fully as long as there is the possibility that i can get this
          > with a customized firmware as wel....as there are some guys
          > customizing the firmwares i would really ask 4 this feature......

          Can't you simply telnet to the box, cd to whatever
          directory you want to save the file in, then do a
          wget http://url.to.download &

          Then walk away?

          Scott

          --
          POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
          http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
          Message 4 of 11 , May 30, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Scott Leighton
            <helphand@p...> wrote:
            > Can't you simply telnet to the box, cd to whatever
            > directory you want to save the file in, then do a
            > wget http://url.to.download &

            Yep. Thats the easiest solution. wget also supports reading in the
            list of URLs from a file so you can dump them all into that and then
            start it off. It'll download each file in turn.

            wget -i file_containing_list_of_urls

            - Trevor
          • Scott Leighton
            Message 5 of 11 , May 30, 2005
              On Monday 30 May 2005 10:36 am, Trevor wrote:
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Scott Leighton
              >
              > <helphand@p...> wrote:
              > > Can't you simply telnet to the box, cd to whatever
              > > directory you want to save the file in, then do a
              > > wget http://url.to.download &
              >
              > Yep. Thats the easiest solution. wget also supports reading in the
              > list of URLs from a file so you can dump them all into that and then
              > start it off. It'll download each file in turn.
              >
              > wget -i file_containing_list_of_urls

              Humm, one minor problem. wget isn't on the box. Just
              tried it here and no go. Looked for curl as an alternative,
              but it's not there either.

              Scott

              --
              POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
              http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
              Linux 2.6.11.4-20a-default x86_64
            • balimbabullabe
              Message 6 of 11 , May 30, 2005
                > Humm, one minor problem. wget isn't on the box. Just
                > tried it here and no go. Looked for curl as an alternative,
                > but it's not there either.

                Go to the debian website and do a search on the packages, search for
                wget or curl. You will find a .deb file which easily can be converted
                to a .tgz file (alien -t wget.deb) which then can be extracted (tar
                -xvzf wget.tgz)
                I took some missing files from the ELDK (www.denx.de), but this
                involves more steps.
                Message 7 of 11 , May 30, 2005
                  No, as soon as you disconnect from the telnet session it will kill
                  the child processes (kill wget). A way around that as someone on
                  this forum used on their LS is a utility called "screen" which
                  allows you to (among other cool things) to detach and re-attach
                  sessions. Just what the doctor ordered. There is probably a trick
                  to getting it to run automatically (like editing /etc/passwd), but
                  I'm likely going to figure it all out soon and I'll do a Howto when
                  I do, also possibly post a compiled copy that will run on the LS OS
                  too.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 30, 2005
                    Of course the solution below assumes you have a system running
                    "alien". For users where the only Linux system they have is their
                    LinkStation, you can download the Debian tarball and unpack it
                    somewhere in /mnt (/dev/hda3). A lot of the stuff in it will run on
                    the LinkStation (just copy the files over to /dev/hda1) so it is
                    handy to have around even if you don't intend to run the Debian
                    directly. Oh, and yes it has wget. You can chroot in and apt-get
                    "screen" (see my other post about this) and copy it over too. You
                    might have to also copy over some dependent libraries and such too.

                    I guess we need a Howto about this too.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                    <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
                    > > Humm, one minor problem. wget isn't on the box. Just
                    > > tried it here and no go. Looked for curl as an alternative,
                    > > but it's not there either.
                    >
                    > Go to the debian website and do a search on the packages, search
                    for
                    > wget or curl. You will find a .deb file which easily can be
                    converted
                    > to a .tgz file (alien -t wget.deb) which then can be extracted
                    (tar
                    > -xvzf wget.tgz)
                    > I took some missing files from the ELDK (www.denx.de), but this
                    > involves more steps.
                  • cherrytreeproduction
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 31, 2005
                      i have a debian folder on /mnt/debian and i can chroot into it...there
                      wget is available...i just found out that the linkstation continues
                      downloading of the files even when i quit the ssh-session. thats nice.
                      thats exactly what i needed because i am a usenet user....

                      i tried to get alien running, but that isnt easy. i didnt find a
                      debian package of alien for ppc..just for x386.

                      "apt-get install screen" terminates on my linkstation with the error
                      that it cant retrieve all files correctly. i should try a apt-get
                      --fix-missing or apt-get update. that didnt changed much.

                      i dont know if i need screen because my LS continuesly downloads even
                      when i close the ssh-session...

                      Regards
                      Mindbender

                      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                      > Of course the solution below assumes you have a system running
                      > "alien". For users where the only Linux system they have is their
                      > LinkStation, you can download the Debian tarball and unpack it
                      > somewhere in /mnt (/dev/hda3). A lot of the stuff in it will run on
                      > the LinkStation (just copy the files over to /dev/hda1) so it is
                      > handy to have around even if you don't intend to run the Debian
                      > directly. Oh, and yes it has wget. You can chroot in and apt-get
                      > "screen" (see my other post about this) and copy it over too. You
                      > might have to also copy over some dependent libraries and such too.
                      >
                      > I guess we need a Howto about this too.
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                      > <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Humm, one minor problem. wget isn't on the box. Just
                      > > > tried it here and no go. Looked for curl as an alternative,
                      > > > but it's not there either.
                      > >
                      > > Go to the debian website and do a search on the packages, search
                      > for
                      > > wget or curl. You will find a .deb file which easily can be
                      > converted
                      > > to a .tgz file (alien -t wget.deb) which then can be extracted
                      > (tar
                      > > -xvzf wget.tgz)
                      > > I took some missing files from the ELDK (www.denx.de), but this
                      > > involves more steps.
                    • cherrytreeproduction
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 31, 2005
                        > i tried to get alien running, but that isnt easy. i didnt find a
                        > debian package of alien for ppc..just for x386.
                        i just tried again...it works without problems....only screen makes
                        some problems...

                        Regards
                        Mindbender
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 31, 2005
                          <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                          > i have a debian folder on /mnt/debian and i can chroot into
                          > it...there wget is available... thats exactly what i needed
                          > because i am a usenet user.

                          Glad it all worked out for you.

                          > i tried to get alien running, but that isnt easy. i didnt find a
                          > debian package of alien for ppc..just for x386.

                          I have it in at least the Sid repository, it might have been kicked
                          out of Woody at the last minute for not passing Debian's quality
                          standards at the time.

                          > "apt-get install screen" terminates on my linkstation with the
                          > error that it cant retrieve all files correctly. i should try a
                          > apt-get --fix-missing or apt-get update. that didnt changed much.

                          What was the full actual error message? Note that unless you
                          changed it, that Debian distro tries to get all it's stuff from a
                          Japanese site (edit etc/apt/sources.list) which might be part of the
                          problem.

                          > i dont know if i need screen because my LS continuesly downloads
                          > even when i close the ssh-session...

                          I guess not, I stand corrected.