First time to post..need help.

  • Wilson Chow
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
      I bought the 120GB version and want to use with
      chinese WinXP in the office..where many filenames are
      in simplified chinese and traditional chinese (unicode
      filename)

      Anyone has tried to upgrade the samba from 2.x to 3.x
      inside the Linkstation and it will supposely support
      unicode filename via WinXP?

      I'm concerning about the warranty issue...if you guys
      change anything in root partition, what happen if you
      flash to a newer firmware? Will all the modified
      things are gone? If that's the case, a person who
      plays around with his mods in the OS...then when he
      needs to send in for warranty service, he can reflash
      the firmware and wipe off all the mods right??

      Next, if I plug in a brand new HD and start the box,
      what will happen? Is there any HD upgrade How-to and
      it'll teach one to format the HD or else to make a
      120GB box to like 300GB or 250GB box internally
      without additional USB drive?

      Thx for whoever can reply me...

      Wilson

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
        --- Wilson Chow <sonsondei@...> wrote:

        > I'm concerning about the warranty issue...if you
        > guys
        > change anything in root partition, what happen if
        > you flash to a newer firmware? Will all the
        modified
        > things are gone? If that's the case, a person who
        > plays around with his mods in the OS...then when he
        > needs to send in for warranty service, he can
        > reflash the firmware and wipe off all the mods
        > right??

        So far, I've been real successful running a separate
        copy of Linux that I installed on partition 3 that I
        am free to do anything I want with. I haven't worked
        out how to get it running without opening a telnet
        session on the original OS and "chrooting" into the
        new OS. Ideally I would like to add it as an option
        on the Web interface to the Linkstation.

        It is odd that the Linkstation has such an old copy of
        Samba on it.

        > Next, if I plug in a brand new HD and start the box,
        > what will happen?

        I would like to know the answer to this too. Granted
        the Kurobox is designed to work this way, but how
        about the Linkstation? So far I've been extra careful
        about messing up the original OS on the Linkstation,
        but if all you have to do is wipe the drive clean and
        start over, I won't need to be so careful.

        =====
        Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power. I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of power.

        Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • jamy1975
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
          You cannot just install a new HD and have it work. What you have to do
          is install the HD and then run the firmware upgrade utility to
          install the OS, or preformat the hard disk with a version of linux.

          Jamy

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, James Stewart
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:
          > --- Wilson Chow <sonsondei@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm concerning about the warranty issue...if you
          > > guys
          > > change anything in root partition, what happen if
          > > you flash to a newer firmware? Will all the
          > modified
          > > things are gone? If that's the case, a person who
          > > plays around with his mods in the OS...then when he
          > > needs to send in for warranty service, he can
          > > reflash the firmware and wipe off all the mods
          > > right??
          >
          > So far, I've been real successful running a separate
          > copy of Linux that I installed on partition 3 that I
          > am free to do anything I want with. I haven't worked
          > out how to get it running without opening a telnet
          > session on the original OS and "chrooting" into the
          > new OS. Ideally I would like to add it as an option
          > on the Web interface to the Linkstation.
          >
          > It is odd that the Linkstation has such an old copy of
          > Samba on it.
          >

          > > Next, if I plug in a brand new HD and start the box,
          > > what will happen?
          >
          > I would like to know the answer to this too. Granted
          > the Kurobox is designed to work this way, but how
          > about the Linkstation? So far I've been extra careful
          > about messing up the original OS on the Linkstation,
          > but if all you have to do is wipe the drive clean and
          > start over, I won't need to be so careful.
          >
          > =====
          > Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other
          management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power.
          I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of
          power.

          > Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

          > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          > www.yahoo.com
        • jamy1975
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
            On the linkstation you can essentially wipe the OS and return it to
            defaults. Running the firmware upgrade will take the root partition
            back to the state it is in, when you take it out of the box. I have
            tried this, so I can confirm. One nice thing, is that it will not
            delete the data on /mnt/share.

            <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > --- Wilson Chow <sonsondei@y...> wrote:
            >
            > > I'm concerning about the warranty issue...if you
            > > guys
            > > change anything in root partition, what happen if
            > > you flash to a newer firmware? Will all the
            > modified
            > > things are gone? If that's the case, a person who
            > > plays around with his mods in the OS...then when he
            > > needs to send in for warranty service, he can
            > > reflash the firmware and wipe off all the mods
            > > right??
            >
            > So far, I've been real successful running a separate
            > copy of Linux that I installed on partition 3 that I
            > am free to do anything I want with. I haven't worked
            > out how to get it running without opening a telnet
            > session on the original OS and "chrooting" into the
            > new OS. Ideally I would like to add it as an option
            > on the Web interface to the Linkstation.
            >
            > It is odd that the Linkstation has such an old copy of
            > Samba on it.
            >

            > > Next, if I plug in a brand new HD and start the box,
            > > what will happen?
            >
            > I would like to know the answer to this too. Granted
            > the Kurobox is designed to work this way, but how
            > about the Linkstation? So far I've been extra careful
            > about messing up the original OS on the Linkstation,
            > but if all you have to do is wipe the drive clean and
            > start over, I won't need to be so careful.
            >
            > =====
            > Having another person's trust is more powerful than all other
            management techniques put together. I have no legal or explicit power.
            I only have the power of having people's trust -- but that's a lot of
            power.

            > Linus Torvalds (Leader of the Linux Kernel Project)

            > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            > www.yahoo.com
          • Wilson Chow
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
              So it'll be a nice idea to compile and install new
              binaries (SSH daemon, new Samba, etc) in a directory
              under /mnt/share and create symbolic link from the
              root to use it..so next time to do an offical firmware
              upgrade, I don't need to compile the binaries
              again...just create new symbolic links..

              Secondly, can we install the kernel source and compile
              a new kernel..so we can use this box as a firewall vpn
              router as well after we plug in a USB ethernet
              adapter?

              I wonder if anyone runs a 2.6 kernel on linkstation..

              Wilson

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 11, 2004
                It is possible to compile a new kernel. I believe some of the others
                here have done so, also checkout revogear.com

                Revogear markets a version of the linkstation without the disk drive.
                They have also posted the source code there.

                Jamy

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson Chow