Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

connecting usb devices on LS debian

Expand Messages
  • downlalaway
    I ve got the debian distro running (using the http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ LS debian distro) and associated modules with LS firmware. It runs nicely as a
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      I've got the debian distro running (using the
      http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ LS debian distro) and associated
      modules with LS firmware.
      It runs nicely as a samba server and webmin, ntp (will write that up)
      etc. Vncserver is really great especially with nedit and xterm running
      -there's fairly low 'screen' delay too.
      Some basic X apps (e.g. Xterm) flakey but worked on a replacement.

      Anyway, I'm struggling in extending it to use printers- how to connect?
      Apt-get 'ed hotplug which gives lsusb output:
      Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b8:0802 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX3200
      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c0b:b001 Dura Micro, Inc. (Acomdata)
      Didn't do any further config of hotplug.

      So they're there but can't find a /dev/usb/lp0 to use with cups etc
      Anybody got any ideas to get printers and cups running well?
      I used synaptic to put cups & foomatic in ok but lost the list of
      printers in the web interface after a first go and despite
      messing for a few days have uninstalled it to retry from the start.
      Cups is still a mystery on desktops too...

      Kurobox kernel has better support for usb (e.g. webcams)- does it go
      into printers too?

      Have got a usb hard drive working-
      Having installed hotplug (possibly others) and using mount -t /dev/sda
      /mnt/usbdrive initally gave /dev/sda is a not a valid block device.
      Installed autofs, and mountapp(to show what's mounted) through apt-get
      (dont know if one needs them truely).
      After a reboot while plugged in it did eventually find the usb hard
      drive and mount (although it locked things up for a couple of mins).
      Next reboot and it appears to work great and quickly, even when
      plugged in after boot.
      However, at the same time the list of apps in the Ice WM menu
      disappeared(???)
      -any advice here also very useful.
    • James Stewart
      ... I m currently working on this problem. The original system used a hotplug alternative called murasaki, now that someone offered up the password to the
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
        <downlalaway@y...> wrote:

        > Anyway, I'm struggling in extending it to use printers- how to connect?
        > Apt-get 'ed hotplug which gives lsusb output:
        > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
        > Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b8:0802 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX3200
        > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
        > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
        > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c0b:b001 Dura Micro, Inc. (Acomdata)
        > Didn't do any further config of hotplug.

        I'm currently working on this problem. The original system used a
        hotplug alternative called murasaki, now that someone offered up the
        password to the orignal V1.4x firmware file (thanks a lot!), I just
        stole the the murasaki related files and copied them over to my Debian
        system. We'll see if they will run. I'm thinking there might be a
        device initalization driver slipped in there somewhere because the
        Debian preconfigured Hotplug that usually "just works" on X86 machines
        but isn't on the LS, I can't get USB 2.0 detected either, which is
        probably related. I find I have to load everything manually.

        > So they're there but can't find a /dev/usb/lp0 to use with cups etc

        You probably need to manually load a module for the usb printer that
        they have hidden away somewhere, this is related to what I am
        researching about USB migration from LS-OS to Debian. It seems they
        were doing something a little non-standard.

        > Anybody got any ideas to get printers and cups running well?
        > I used synaptic to put cups & foomatic in ok but lost the list of
        > printers in the web interface after a first go and despite
        > messing for a few days have uninstalled it to retry from the start.
        > Cups is still a mystery on desktops too...

        I did get CUPS working however. There are extensive docs on it. In
        my case I connected to a printer that is actually plugged into my
        router and shows up as a Unix style LPD device. I now have it so I
        can print to it from my LS, which means I can also offer it as a
        Windows share, etc.

        I'm no expert with CUPS, but you might look for a separate list of
        printer drivers for foomatic that you might not have installed. I
        used gimp-print as a backend instead, which might also work well with
        your Epson (that is what I have, only it is an old Stylus-Color-600).
        In your case the stumbling place might be that you might not have the
        printer mapping to /dev/usb/lp0 yet, so nothing is going to work until
        you do, and that is *not* a CUPS issue. It is a kernel related USB
        device issue. You might try sending something to /dev/usb/lp0 like:
        echo "Hello World" > /dev/usb/lp0 and see if any thing happens. I've
        never tried this myself, I wonder if you then have to send a form feed
        before it will print like you have to with laser printers. Also no
        telling what it will print, probably gibberish, but at least you'll
        know you are talking to the printer.

        > Kurobox kernel has better support for usb (e.g. webcams)- does it go
        > into printers too?

        Yes, there is even a "printer.o" file in the USB modules directory for
        the kuro kernel, but before you switch over to it, can you do a "dmesg
        | more" and look to see if the EHCI USB-2.0 driver is loading? It
        isn't on mine that is running the Kuro Kernel.

        > Have got a usb hard drive working-
        > Having installed hotplug (possibly others) and using mount -t /dev/sda
        > /mnt/usbdrive initally gave /dev/sda is a not a valid block device.
        > Installed autofs, and mountapp(to show what's mounted) through
        > apt-get (dont know if one needs them truely).
        > After a reboot while plugged in it did eventually find the usb hard
        > drive and mount (although it locked things up for a couple of mins).

        Yes, it does that while it is reading the file system structure
        (especially if it is a MS file system). Your LS might be running at
        USB-1 speed if it is taking this long.

        > Next reboot and it appears to work great and quickly, even when
        > plugged in after boot.

        odd.

        > However, at the same time the list of apps in the Ice WM menu
        > disappeared(???)

        Try running "update-menus", if that doesn't work, make sure you (or
        something) hasn't installed a customized menu that typically hides in
        your home directory somewhere. The Debian menu system only updates
        the master system one that is somewhere in /etc/X11. I usually
        symlink my local home directory one to it, which is probably not the
        recommend thing to do, but it works for me. If you find out how you
        are suppose to deal with this, please let me know. It is one of those
        Debian specific issues.

        > -any advice here also very useful.

        Looks like you are proceeding well actually. I think we mainly just
        need to get some USB issues ironed out. I can help you a little with
        the CUPS and WM menu issues later, but I need to get some sleep at the
        moment.
      • downlalaway
        ... connect? ... There s something going on in usblp0 I think from the dmesg output and I installed usbview (I m terrible for non-systematic installing of
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
          > <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > Anyway, I'm struggling in extending it to use printers- how to
          connect?
          > > Apt-get 'ed hotplug which gives lsusb output:
          > > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
          > > Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b8:0802 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX3200
          > > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
          > > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
          > > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c0b:b001 Dura Micro, Inc. (Acomdata)
          > > Didn't do any further config of hotplug.
          >
          > I'm currently working on this problem. The original system used a
          > hotplug alternative called murasaki, now that someone offered up the
          > password to the orignal V1.4x firmware file (thanks a lot!), I just
          > stole the the murasaki related files and copied them over to my Debian
          > system. We'll see if they will run. I'm thinking there might be a
          > device initalization driver slipped in there somewhere because the
          > Debian preconfigured Hotplug that usually "just works" on X86 machines
          > but isn't on the LS, I can't get USB 2.0 detected either, which is
          > probably related. I find I have to load everything manually.
          >
          > > So they're there but can't find a /dev/usb/lp0 to use with cups etc
          >
          > You probably need to manually load a module for the usb printer that
          > they have hidden away somewhere, this is related to what I am
          > researching about USB migration from LS-OS to Debian. It seems they
          > were doing something a little non-standard.
          >
          > > Anybody got any ideas to get printers and cups running well?
          > > I used synaptic to put cups & foomatic in ok but lost the list of
          > > printers in the web interface after a first go and despite
          > > messing for a few days have uninstalled it to retry from the start.
          > > Cups is still a mystery on desktops too...
          >
          > I did get CUPS working however. There are extensive docs on it. In
          > my case I connected to a printer that is actually plugged into my
          > router and shows up as a Unix style LPD device. I now have it so I
          > can print to it from my LS, which means I can also offer it as a
          > Windows share, etc.
          >
          > I'm no expert with CUPS, but you might look for a separate list of
          > printer drivers for foomatic that you might not have installed. I
          > used gimp-print as a backend instead, which might also work well with
          > your Epson (that is what I have, only it is an old Stylus-Color-600).
          > In your case the stumbling place might be that you might not have the
          > printer mapping to /dev/usb/lp0 yet, so nothing is going to work until
          > you do, and that is *not* a CUPS issue. It is a kernel related USB
          > device issue. You might try sending something to /dev/usb/lp0 like:
          > echo "Hello World" > /dev/usb/lp0 and see if any thing happens. I've
          > never tried this myself, I wonder if you then have to send a form feed
          > before it will print like you have to with laser printers. Also no
          > telling what it will print, probably gibberish, but at least you'll
          > know you are talking to the printer.
          >
          There's something going on in usblp0 I think from the dmesg output and
          I installed usbview (I'm terrible for non-systematic installing of
          things). It shows the printer on usblp (with maybe interface number 0
          as out for the scanner and 1 for the printer in). NB its a printer
          scanner. usbview claims hard drive connected usb2.0 at 480Mbps.
          but dmesg does give:
          usb.c: error registering usblp driver
          usb.c: unable to get major 180 for usb devices
          so maybe there's a problem.

          > > Kurobox kernel has better support for usb (e.g. webcams)- does it go
          > > into printers too?
          >
          > Yes, there is even a "printer.o" file in the USB modules directory for
          > the kuro kernel, but before you switch over to it, can you do a "dmesg
          > | more" and look to see if the EHCI USB-2.0 driver is loading? It
          > isn't on mine that is running the Kuro Kernel.
          >
          > > Have got a usb hard drive working-
          > > Having installed hotplug (possibly others) and using mount -t /dev/sda
          > > /mnt/usbdrive initally gave /dev/sda is a not a valid block device.
          > > Installed autofs, and mountapp(to show what's mounted) through
          > > apt-get (dont know if one needs them truely).
          > > After a reboot while plugged in it did eventually find the usb hard
          > > drive and mount (although it locked things up for a couple of mins).
          >
          > Yes, it does that while it is reading the file system structure
          > (especially if it is a MS file system). Your LS might be running at
          > USB-1 speed if it is taking this long.
          >
          > > Next reboot and it appears to work great and quickly, even when
          > > plugged in after boot.
          >
          > odd.
          >
          dmesg | more gives an indication usb 2.0 is there (see below) and
          moving a 55MB file to the LS and then back again takes 28 and 23secs
          respectively (2-3M/sec). Since its an 3 year old laptop hard drive I
          guess that's usb2 running.
          So USB hard drive works great.

          > > However, at the same time the list of apps in the Ice WM menu
          > > disappeared(???)
          >
          > Try running "update-menus", if that doesn't work, make sure you (or
          > something) hasn't installed a customized menu that typically hides in
          > your home directory somewhere. The Debian menu system only updates
          > the master system one that is somewhere in /etc/X11. I usually
          > symlink my local home directory one to it, which is probably not the
          > recommend thing to do, but it works for me. If you find out how you
          > are suppose to deal with this, please let me know. It is one of those
          > Debian specific issues.
          >
          I did update-menus just after posting and they all reappeared
          FYI. I'm also getting sound feedback through the vncclient - my winxp
          box makes a ding when the confirm box for xfe file viewer comes up.
          Interesting...

          > > -any advice here also very useful.
          >
          > Looks like you are proceeding well actually. I think we mainly just
          > need to get some USB issues ironed out. I can help you a little with
          > the CUPS and WM menu issues later, but I need to get some sleep at the
          > moment.

          Things might be coming together.
          Knowing how you put on cups would be great..

          dmesg | more output:

          Memory BAT mapping: BAT2=64Mb, BAT3=0Mb, residual: 0Mb
          Linux version 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint (root@toda_dev.melcoinc.co.jp)
          (gcc versio
          2.95.3 20010315 (release/MontaVista)) #990 2004ǯ 5·î 21Æü ¶âÍËÆü
          13:39:00 JST
          BUFFALO Network Attached Storage Series
          2002-2004 BUFFALO INC.
          On node 0 totalpages: 16384
          zone(0): 16384 pages.
          zone(1): 0 pages.
          zone(2): 0 pages.
          Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda1
          OpenPIC Version 1.2 (1 CPUs and 139 IRQ sources) at 80040000
          decrementer frequency = 24.394173 MHz
          rtc sec count 1117413388
          Calibrating delay loop... 129.84 BogoMIPS
          Memory: 60356k available (1332k kernel code, 568k data, 192k init, 0k
          highmem)
          Dentry-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
          Inode-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
          Mount-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
          Buffer-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
          Page-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
          POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
          PCI: Probing PCI hardware
          Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
          Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
          Initializing RT netlink socket
          Starting kswapd
          Disabling the Out Of Memory Killer
          Journalled Block Device driver loaded
          pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
          MELCO INC. RTC driver ver 1.00
          Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
          SERIAL_PCI enab
          led
          ttyS00 at 0x80004600 (irq = 138) is a 16550A
          ttyS01 at 0x80004500 (irq = 137) is a 16550A
          block: 128 slots per queue, batch=32
          RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 10000K size 1024 blocksize
          Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
          ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
          idebus=xx
          CMD680: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 60
          CMD680: chipset revision 2
          CMD680: 100% native mode on irq 17
          ide0: BM-DMA at 0xbffed0-0xbffed7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
          ide1: BM-DMA at 0xbffed8-0xbffedf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
          hda: WDC WD1200BB-55GUA0, ATA DISK drive
          ide0 at 0xbffef8-0xbffeff,0xbffef6 on irq 17
          hda: 234441648 sectors (120034 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=14593/255/63,
          UDMA(100)
          Partition check:
          hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
          FLASHDISK:Initialized [FUJITSU MBM29PL32TM]
          Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre9 (Nov 6, 2001)
          tulip0: MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 7849 advertising 05e1.
          eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xbfff00, 00:07:40:FB:FA:2E, IRQ 16.
          SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
          request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
          request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
          usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
          usb.c: registered new driver hub
          hcd.c: ehci-hcd @ 00:0e.2, PCI device 1033:00e0 (NEC Corporation)
          hcd.c: irq 19, pci mem c5000f00
          usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
          hcd/ehci-hcd.c: USB 2.0 support enabled, EHCI rev 1. 0
          hub.c: USB hub found
          hub.c: 5 ports detected
          usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc5002000, IRQ 19
          usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0e.0, NEC Corporation USB
          usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
          hub.c: USB hub found
          hub.c: 3 ports detected
          usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc5004000, IRQ 19
          usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0e.1, NEC Corporation USB (#2)
          usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
          hub.c: USB hub found
          hub.c: 2 ports detected
          usb.c: registered new driver usblp
          printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver
          Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
          usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
          USB Mass Storage support registered.
          NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
          IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
          IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
          TCP: Hash tables configured (established 4096 bind 4096)
          NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
          NET4: AppleTalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0
          RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
          Freeing initrd memory: 1993k freed
          fff70000:4f4b4f4b
          EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
          VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
          fff70000:4f4b4f4b
          kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
          EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
          VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
          change_root: old root has d_count=2
          Freeing unused kernel memory: 192k init
          hub.c: new USB device 00:0e.1-1, assigned address 2
          printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 1 alt 0 proto 2
          vid 0x04B8 p
          id 0x0802
          Adding Swap: 498004k swap-space (priority -1)
          EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on ide0(3,1), internal journal
          kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
          EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on ide0(3,3), internal journal
          EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
          usb.c: error registering usblp driver
          usb.c: unable to get major 180 for usb devices
          usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
          usb.c: deregistering driver usbdevfs
          usb.c: registered new driver hub
          usb.c: registered new driver usblp
          printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver
          Trying to free nonexistent resource <80004600-80004607>
          ip_tables: (c)2000 Netfilter core team
          ip_conntrack (512 buckets, 4096 max)
          usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:0e.1-1 address 2
          printer.c: usblp0: removed
          hub.c: new USB device 00:0e.1-1, assigned address 3
          printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 1 alt 0 proto 2
          vid 0x04B8 p
          id 0x0802
        • downlalaway
          A new note that the scanner portion of a cx3200 works with xsane as root so something s working. ... /dev/sda
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            A new note that the scanner portion of a cx3200 works with xsane as
            root so something's working.
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
            <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
            > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
            > > <downlalaway@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Anyway, I'm struggling in extending it to use printers- how to
            > connect?
            > > > Apt-get 'ed hotplug which gives lsusb output:
            > > > Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
            > > > Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b8:0802 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX3200
            > > > Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
            > > > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
            > > > Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0c0b:b001 Dura Micro, Inc. (Acomdata)
            > > > Didn't do any further config of hotplug.
            > >
            > > I'm currently working on this problem. The original system used a
            > > hotplug alternative called murasaki, now that someone offered up the
            > > password to the orignal V1.4x firmware file (thanks a lot!), I just
            > > stole the the murasaki related files and copied them over to my Debian
            > > system. We'll see if they will run. I'm thinking there might be a
            > > device initalization driver slipped in there somewhere because the
            > > Debian preconfigured Hotplug that usually "just works" on X86 machines
            > > but isn't on the LS, I can't get USB 2.0 detected either, which is
            > > probably related. I find I have to load everything manually.
            > >
            > > > So they're there but can't find a /dev/usb/lp0 to use with cups etc
            > >
            > > You probably need to manually load a module for the usb printer that
            > > they have hidden away somewhere, this is related to what I am
            > > researching about USB migration from LS-OS to Debian. It seems they
            > > were doing something a little non-standard.
            > >
            > > > Anybody got any ideas to get printers and cups running well?
            > > > I used synaptic to put cups & foomatic in ok but lost the list of
            > > > printers in the web interface after a first go and despite
            > > > messing for a few days have uninstalled it to retry from the start.
            > > > Cups is still a mystery on desktops too...
            > >
            > > I did get CUPS working however. There are extensive docs on it. In
            > > my case I connected to a printer that is actually plugged into my
            > > router and shows up as a Unix style LPD device. I now have it so I
            > > can print to it from my LS, which means I can also offer it as a
            > > Windows share, etc.
            > >
            > > I'm no expert with CUPS, but you might look for a separate list of
            > > printer drivers for foomatic that you might not have installed. I
            > > used gimp-print as a backend instead, which might also work well with
            > > your Epson (that is what I have, only it is an old Stylus-Color-600).
            > > In your case the stumbling place might be that you might not have the
            > > printer mapping to /dev/usb/lp0 yet, so nothing is going to work until
            > > you do, and that is *not* a CUPS issue. It is a kernel related USB
            > > device issue. You might try sending something to /dev/usb/lp0 like:
            > > echo "Hello World" > /dev/usb/lp0 and see if any thing happens. I've
            > > never tried this myself, I wonder if you then have to send a form feed
            > > before it will print like you have to with laser printers. Also no
            > > telling what it will print, probably gibberish, but at least you'll
            > > know you are talking to the printer.
            > >
            > There's something going on in usblp0 I think from the dmesg output and
            > I installed usbview (I'm terrible for non-systematic installing of
            > things). It shows the printer on usblp (with maybe interface number 0
            > as out for the scanner and 1 for the printer in). NB its a printer
            > scanner. usbview claims hard drive connected usb2.0 at 480Mbps.
            > but dmesg does give:
            > usb.c: error registering usblp driver
            > usb.c: unable to get major 180 for usb devices
            > so maybe there's a problem.
            >
            > > > Kurobox kernel has better support for usb (e.g. webcams)- does it go
            > > > into printers too?
            > >
            > > Yes, there is even a "printer.o" file in the USB modules directory for
            > > the kuro kernel, but before you switch over to it, can you do a "dmesg
            > > | more" and look to see if the EHCI USB-2.0 driver is loading? It
            > > isn't on mine that is running the Kuro Kernel.
            > >
            > > > Have got a usb hard drive working-
            > > > Having installed hotplug (possibly others) and using mount -t
            /dev/sda
            > > > /mnt/usbdrive initally gave /dev/sda is a not a valid block device.
            > > > Installed autofs, and mountapp(to show what's mounted) through
            > > > apt-get (dont know if one needs them truely).
            > > > After a reboot while plugged in it did eventually find the usb hard
            > > > drive and mount (although it locked things up for a couple of mins).
            > >
            > > Yes, it does that while it is reading the file system structure
            > > (especially if it is a MS file system). Your LS might be running at
            > > USB-1 speed if it is taking this long.
            > >
            > > > Next reboot and it appears to work great and quickly, even when
            > > > plugged in after boot.
            > >
            > > odd.
            > >
            > dmesg | more gives an indication usb 2.0 is there (see below) and
            > moving a 55MB file to the LS and then back again takes 28 and 23secs
            > respectively (2-3M/sec). Since its an 3 year old laptop hard drive I
            > guess that's usb2 running.
            > So USB hard drive works great.
            >
            > > > However, at the same time the list of apps in the Ice WM menu
            > > > disappeared(???)
            > >
            > > Try running "update-menus", if that doesn't work, make sure you (or
            > > something) hasn't installed a customized menu that typically hides in
            > > your home directory somewhere. The Debian menu system only updates
            > > the master system one that is somewhere in /etc/X11. I usually
            > > symlink my local home directory one to it, which is probably not the
            > > recommend thing to do, but it works for me. If you find out how you
            > > are suppose to deal with this, please let me know. It is one of those
            > > Debian specific issues.
            > >
            > I did update-menus just after posting and they all reappeared
            > FYI. I'm also getting sound feedback through the vncclient - my winxp
            > box makes a ding when the confirm box for xfe file viewer comes up.
            > Interesting...
            >
            > > > -any advice here also very useful.
            > >
            > > Looks like you are proceeding well actually. I think we mainly just
            > > need to get some USB issues ironed out. I can help you a little with
            > > the CUPS and WM menu issues later, but I need to get some sleep at the
            > > moment.
            >
            > Things might be coming together.
            > Knowing how you put on cups would be great..
            >
            > dmesg | more output:
            >
            > Memory BAT mapping: BAT2=64Mb, BAT3=0Mb, residual: 0Mb
            > Linux version 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint (root@toda_dev.melcoinc.co.jp)
            > (gcc versio
            > 2.95.3 20010315 (release/MontaVista)) #990 2004ǯ 5·î 21Æü ¶âÍËÆü
            > 13:39:00 JST
            > BUFFALO Network Attached Storage Series
            > 2002-2004 BUFFALO INC.
            > On node 0 totalpages: 16384
            > zone(0): 16384 pages.
            > zone(1): 0 pages.
            > zone(2): 0 pages.
            > Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda1
            > OpenPIC Version 1.2 (1 CPUs and 139 IRQ sources) at 80040000
            > decrementer frequency = 24.394173 MHz
            > rtc sec count 1117413388
            > Calibrating delay loop... 129.84 BogoMIPS
            > Memory: 60356k available (1332k kernel code, 568k data, 192k init, 0k
            > highmem)
            > Dentry-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
            > Inode-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
            > Mount-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
            > Buffer-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
            > Page-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
            > POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
            > PCI: Probing PCI hardware
            > Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
            > Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
            > Initializing RT netlink socket
            > Starting kswapd
            > Disabling the Out Of Memory Killer
            > Journalled Block Device driver loaded
            > pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
            > MELCO INC. RTC driver ver 1.00
            > Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
            > SERIAL_PCI enab
            > led
            > ttyS00 at 0x80004600 (irq = 138) is a 16550A
            > ttyS01 at 0x80004500 (irq = 137) is a 16550A
            > block: 128 slots per queue, batch=32
            > RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 10000K size 1024 blocksize
            > Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
            > ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
            > idebus=xx
            > CMD680: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 60
            > CMD680: chipset revision 2
            > CMD680: 100% native mode on irq 17
            > ide0: BM-DMA at 0xbffed0-0xbffed7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
            > ide1: BM-DMA at 0xbffed8-0xbffedf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
            > hda: WDC WD1200BB-55GUA0, ATA DISK drive
            > ide0 at 0xbffef8-0xbffeff,0xbffef6 on irq 17
            > hda: 234441648 sectors (120034 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=14593/255/63,
            > UDMA(100)
            > Partition check:
            > hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
            > FLASHDISK:Initialized [FUJITSU MBM29PL32TM]
            > Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre9 (Nov 6, 2001)
            > tulip0: MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 7849 advertising 05e1.
            > eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0xbfff00, 00:07:40:FB:FA:2E, IRQ 16.
            > SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
            > request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
            > request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted
            > usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
            > usb.c: registered new driver hub
            > hcd.c: ehci-hcd @ 00:0e.2, PCI device 1033:00e0 (NEC Corporation)
            > hcd.c: irq 19, pci mem c5000f00
            > usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
            > hcd/ehci-hcd.c: USB 2.0 support enabled, EHCI rev 1. 0
            > hub.c: USB hub found
            > hub.c: 5 ports detected
            > usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc5002000, IRQ 19
            > usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0e.0, NEC Corporation USB
            > usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
            > hub.c: USB hub found
            > hub.c: 3 ports detected
            > usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc5004000, IRQ 19
            > usb-ohci.c: usb-00:0e.1, NEC Corporation USB (#2)
            > usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
            > hub.c: USB hub found
            > hub.c: 2 ports detected
            > usb.c: registered new driver usblp
            > printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver
            > Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
            > usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
            > USB Mass Storage support registered.
            > NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
            > IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
            > IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets, 4Kbytes
            > TCP: Hash tables configured (established 4096 bind 4096)
            > NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
            > NET4: AppleTalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0
            > RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
            > Freeing initrd memory: 1993k freed
            > fff70000:4f4b4f4b
            > EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
            > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
            > fff70000:4f4b4f4b
            > kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
            > EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
            > VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
            > change_root: old root has d_count=2
            > Freeing unused kernel memory: 192k init
            > hub.c: new USB device 00:0e.1-1, assigned address 2
            > printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 1 alt 0 proto 2
            > vid 0x04B8 p
            > id 0x0802
            > Adding Swap: 498004k swap-space (priority -1)
            > EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on ide0(3,1), internal journal
            > kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
            > EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on ide0(3,3), internal journal
            > EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
            > usb.c: error registering usblp driver
            > usb.c: unable to get major 180 for usb devices
            > usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
            > usb.c: deregistering driver usbdevfs
            > usb.c: registered new driver hub
            > usb.c: registered new driver usblp
            > printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver
            > Trying to free nonexistent resource <80004600-80004607>
            > ip_tables: (c)2000 Netfilter core team
            > ip_conntrack (512 buckets, 4096 max)
            > usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:0e.1-1 address 2
            > printer.c: usblp0: removed
            > hub.c: new USB device 00:0e.1-1, assigned address 3
            > printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 1 alt 0 proto 2
            > vid 0x04B8 p
            > id 0x0802
          • James Stewart
            ... Darn, it is looking like the Kuro Kernel won t do USB-2 if it is in the LS for some reason. Hopefully there is a solution to this. ... There is a real
            Message 5 of 5 , May 30, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
              <downlalaway@y...> wrote:

              > ... usbview claims hard drive connected usb2.0 at 480Mbps.

              Darn, it is looking like the Kuro Kernel won't do USB-2 if it is in
              the LS for some reason. Hopefully there is a solution to this.

              > but dmesg does give:
              > usb.c: error registering usblp driver
              > usb.c: unable to get major 180 for usb devices
              > so maybe there's a problem.

              There is a real good chance you don't have device nodes set up
              in /dev. Look for a directory in /dev/ called "usb". If you don't
              have one, create it: "mkdir usb", make sure it is world executable
              and readable, you can do a "chmod 755 /dev/usb" to make sure. Then
              go into that directory and start creating device nodes:

              mknod /dev/usb/lp0 c 180 0
              mknod /dev/usb/lp1 c 180 1
              .... etc
              mknod /dev/usb/scanner0 c 180 48
              mknod /dev/usb/scanner1 c 180 49
              .... etc

              make sure they are world read/writeable (chmod 666 *)

              This might be your only problem.

              > dmesg | more gives an indication usb 2.0 is there (see below) and
              > moving a 55MB file to the LS and then back again takes 28 and
              > 23secs respectively (2-3M/sec). Since its an 3 year old laptop
              > hard drive I guess that's usb2 running.

              Yes, that is over 15 megabits/sec, which is certainly faster than
              the 12 megabits maximum that USB-1 can do.

              Darn, so I might go over to the Kurobox forums and see if any of
              those people know anything about this.

              > I did update-menus just after posting and they all reappeared
              > FYI.

              It is odd that you had to do this, but oh well. The good thing
              about Debian is that when it messes up, there is usually a command
              somewhere that will fix it.

              > I'm also getting sound feedback through the vncclient - my winxp
              > box makes a ding when the confirm box for xfe file viewer comes
              > up. Interesting...

              That is odd, I don't think VNC remotes out audio streams like the MS
              "remote desktop protocol" does, maybe this is just the "system bell"
              charactor being sent.

              > Knowing how you put on cups would be great..

              Lets see, I installed cupsys, cupsys-bsd (not sure if it is needed
              in your case), cupsys-client, cupsys-driver-gimpprint, and
              cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data, then I think I then ended up needing
              to install Ghostscript (gs-common, gs-esp, gs-gpl, gsfonts). A
              whole lot of stuff, but your Stylus CX-3200 printer is listed (so it
              is supported). The foomatic direction you started on might also
              work, but you probably need "foomatic-db-gimp-print" and a couple of
              other things it depends on if you don't already have them. This
              might be a quicker, cleaner way to get there. Printing on Unix-like
              systems is sure a mess!

              > dmesg | more output:

              Oh, and thanks for the output, I will really come in handy for me to
              resolve my USB problem.
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.