I've locked myself out

  • avocadinho
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2005
      OK...slight problem. I've been attempting to hack into my LS (F/W
      1.45) using the loophole that lets you use a cgi script to modify
      the permissions on etc/passwd. this worked fine, but I had problems
      editing the file (basically because the terminal emulation wasn't
      working...so i couldn't really see what I was typing...), so I
      accidentally logged out, leaving a passwd file that looks like:

      root:
      r.4feIpNeMISQ:0:0:root/root:/bin/bash
      bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin

      etc...

      I think the carriage return after the "root:" has done something
      bad, because now, when I telnet in, the connection is immediately
      severed before I even get the user/password prompt.

      please help!

      AVO
    • Thoralf Freitag

        Message 3 of 3 , May 28, 2005
          I re-installed the F/W, but this didn't fix the problem. I can map
          the LS (I'm doing this on XP) and browse all the data, but when I
          try to access the web-interface I get a server-not-found error and
          still no telnet either.

          Are there any other suggestions!?

          Thanks

          AVO

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Thoralf Freitag
          <tf_0815@y...> wrote:
          > Reinstall the firmware b y using the LinkStation Update program.
          This
          > should set up your /etc/passwd again. Then you have to hack the
          > LinkStation also again.
          >
          > TF
          >
          > avocadinho schrieb:
          >
          > > OK...slight problem. I've been attempting to hack into my LS
          (F/W
          > > 1.45) using the loophole that lets you use a cgi script to modify
          > > the permissions on etc/passwd. this worked fine, but I had
          problems
          > > editing the file (basically because the terminal emulation wasn't
          > > working...so i couldn't really see what I was typing...), so I
          > > accidentally logged out, leaving a passwd file that looks like:
          > >
          > > root:
          > > r.4feIpNeMISQ:0:0:root/root:/bin/bash
          > > bin:*:1:1:bin:/bin
          > >

          > > etc...
          > >
          > > I think the carriage return after the "root:" has done something
          > > bad, because now, when I telnet in, the connection is immediately
          > > severed before I even get the user/password prompt.
          > >
          > > please help!
          > >
          > > AVO

          subject=Unsubscribe>