Linkstation HD replacement questions ....

  • -/\-
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27, 2005
      I searched this group but didn't find answer to this...
      I Like to replace the existing Linkstation 160GB hard drive with 400GB
      Can I use Ghost and clone the old drive on to the new one ?
      Will this work ?

      Thanks
    • lb_worm
      Message 2 of 13 , May 28, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-" <lifeisfuneh@h...>
        wrote:
        > I searched this group but didn't find answer to this...
        > I Like to replace the existing Linkstation 160GB hard drive with 400GB
        > Can I use Ghost and clone the old drive on to the new one ?
        > Will this work ?
        >
        > Thanks
        Yes, I used ghost to clone my 120GB to a 300GB. However, you will
        still only have a 120GB ish hda3 drive. You will need to re-partition
        the drive to gain all of the space available from the 400GB. I removed
        hda3 and hda4 and let the Linkstation do the rest when it booted up.
        It created a 70MB hda4 and the rest was allocated to hda3.
      • lifeisfuneh
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lb_worm"

          <bobateiger@h...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-" > Yes, I used
          ghost to clone my 120GB to a 300GB. However, you will
          > still only have a 120GB ish hda3 drive. You will need to re-
          partition
          > the drive to gain all of the space available from the 400GB. I
          removed
          > hda3 and hda4 and let the Linkstation do the rest when it booted
          up.
          > It created a 70MB hda4 and the rest was allocated to hda3.

          Thanks for reply !
          Since I'm not computer GURU can you be more specific how to
          do this ? Can I use ghost to enlarge the partitions ? If so
          how ...
          Thanks for your time !
        • balimbabullabe
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28, 2005
            > Thanks for reply !
            > Since I'm not computer GURU can you be more specific how to
            > do this ? Can I use ghost to enlarge the partitions ? If so
            > how ...
            > Thanks for your time !

            Normally ghost allows to resize partitions (NTFS for example), but I
            don't know if it supports ext2/ext3. And even if it does I think it
            will have problems because Buffalo changed the structure of the ext2
            file system of the Linkstation.
            Perhaps the hacking howto (for LSII) is able to give you some hints
            how to do this manually, but it's not an easy thing ...
            But you can still try to use ghost for resizing because you don't work
            with your original drive and are always able to switch back to the
            working one.
          • -/\-
            Message 5 of 13 , May 28, 2005
              If it's possible to delete the Hda 3&4 partitions as it was suggested
              how do I do that ?

              Thanks

              "balimbabullabe" <balimbabullabe@...>
              wrote in message news:d7a045+bsu5@......

              >> Thanks for reply !
              >> Since I'm not computer GURU can you be more specific how to
              >> do this ? Can I use ghost to enlarge the partitions ? If so
              >> how ...
              >> Thanks for your time !
              >
              > Normally ghost allows to resize partitions (NTFS for example), but I
              > don't know if it supports ext2/ext3. And even if it does I think it
              > will have problems because Buffalo changed the structure of the ext2
              > file system of the Linkstation.
              > Perhaps the hacking howto (for LSII) is able to give you some hints
              > how to do this manually, but it's not an easy thing ...
              > But you can still try to use ghost for resizing because you don't work
              > with your original drive and are always able to switch back to the
              > working one.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • balimbabullabe
              Message 6 of 13 , May 28, 2005
                > If it's possible to delete the Hda 3&4 partitions as it was suggested
                > how do I do that ?

                Please don't get me wrong but if you don't know how to delete a
                partition you will run into many other problems you can't solve. This
                is not supposed to be "newbie bashing" (every one of us started small)
                but you should be aware of that you are on dangerous ground ...

                You can either delete the partitions using a program running under
                linux (I recommend sfdisk or cfdisk -> Knoppix has it) or you could
                simply leave it out of the image you create. Ghost should also offer
                you the possibility to only restore partitions you specify.
                Message 7 of 13 , May 28, 2005
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                  <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                  > > Thanks for reply !
                  > > Since I'm not computer GURU can you be more specific how to
                  > > do this ? Can I use ghost to enlarge the partitions ? If so
                  > > how ...
                  > > Thanks for your time !
                  >
                  > Normally ghost allows to resize partitions (NTFS for example), but I
                  > don't know if it supports ext2/ext3. And even if it does I think it
                  > will have problems because Buffalo changed the structure of the ext2
                  > file system of the Linkstation.
                  > Perhaps the hacking howto (for LSII) is able to give you some hints
                  > how to do this manually, but it's not an easy thing ...
                  > But you can still try to use ghost for resizing because you don't work
                  > with your original drive and are always able to switch back to the
                  > working one.

                  GNUparted (gparted) should be able to do it, but unless you use one of
                  the graphical front ends to it, it can be real hard to figure out how
                  to use. You can remove the hard drive (and run the "fix-magic"
                  utility to unlock the partition table), then put it in a computer
                  running Knoppix (a free bootable CDROM), and use qt-parted (a nice
                  partition magic like front end to gparted), and use it to do
                  everything for you.

                  The EXT3 file system is designed to be able to be resized. There are
                  other simple tools to do this available, but I've never used them
                  directly. The swap partition could simply be erased and re-created,
                  which you can do inside the running OS since I'm sure it can run
                  without a swap partition if you are careful not to overload it. It
                  can also be copied off to an image somewhere and put back in a new
                  physical location later.

                  If you are really new to this sort of thing, I would recommend that
                  you clone everything onto another hard drive so you preserve your
                  original one in case you get stuck somewhere. Ghost or Knoppix can do
                  this, but so can the LS OS itself if you plug a USB drive into it and
                  properly use a few command-line tools.

                  Learning how to do this sort of thing is useful. I move and resize
                  MS-Windows around quite a bit (usually using Knoppix) to the amazement
                  of many who claim it can't be done.
                • JSCHLADE
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 28, 2005
                    When you took your ghost image of hda1 and restored it to your new
                    drive, did you make that partition bootbable?

                    I'm trying to upgrade to a LS II 160 to a 320G hard drive. If you don't
                    have your partition table defined on your new drive, do you need to
                    create it before you restore from your ghost images?

                    Thanks,
                    John

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 29, 2005
                      I thought that I will just clone drive to drive.....

                      "JSCHLADE" <jschlade@...> wrote in
                      message news:d7bktp+ctql@......
                      > When you took your ghost image of hda1 and restored it to your new
                      > drive, did you make that partition bootbable?
                      >
                      > I'm trying to upgrade to a LS II 160 to a 320G hard drive. If you don't
                      > have your partition table defined on your new drive, do you need to
                      > create it before you restore from your ghost images?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > John

                      > "lb_worm" <bobateiger@h...>
                      > wrote:
                      >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                      >> "-/\\-"
                      > <lifeisfuneh@h...>
                      >> wrote:
                      >> > I searched this group but didn't find answer to this...
                      >> > I Like to replace the existing Linkstation 160GB hard drive with
                      > 400GB
                      >> > Can I use Ghost and clone the old drive on to the new one ?
                      >> > Will this work ?
                      >> >
                      >> > Thanks
                      >> Yes, I used ghost to clone my 120GB to a 300GB. However, you will
                      >> still only have a 120GB ish hda3 drive. You will need to re-
                      > partition
                      >> the drive to gain all of the space available from the 400GB. I
                      > removed
                      >> hda3 and hda4 and let the Linkstation do the rest when it booted up.
                      >> It created a 70MB hda4 and the rest was allocated to hda3.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • lb_worm
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 29, 2005
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "JSCHLADE"
                        <jschlade@y...> wrote:
                        > When you took your ghost image of hda1 and restored it to your new
                        > drive, did you make that partition bootbable?
                        >
                        > I'm trying to upgrade to a LS II 160 to a 320G hard drive. If you
                        don't
                        > have your partition table defined on your new drive, do you need to
                        > create it before you restore from your ghost images?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > John
                        >
                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lb_worm"
                        <bobateiger@h...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"
                        > <lifeisfuneh@h...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > > I searched this group but didn't find answer to this...
                        > > > I Like to replace the existing Linkstation 160GB hard drive
                        with
                        > 400GB
                        > > > Can I use Ghost and clone the old drive on to the new one ?
                        > > > Will this work ?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks
                        > > Yes, I used ghost to clone my 120GB to a 300GB. However, you
                        will
                        > > still only have a 120GB ish hda3 drive. You will need to re-
                        > partition
                        > > the drive to gain all of the space available from the 400GB. I
                        > removed
                        > > hda3 and hda4 and let the Linkstation do the rest when it booted
                        up.
                        > > It created a 70MB hda4 and the rest was allocated to hda3.

                        You can just ghost all the partitions if you wish. I did not change
                        any of the partition options when I cloned them: I did not
                        specfically set or unset the boot option on hda1.
                      • -/\-
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 29, 2005
                          How did you after the cloning deleted the partition 3 &4 ?
                          Did you use ghost to do that ?

                          "lb_worm" <bobateiger@...> wrote in
                          message news:d7d0ph+da72@......
                          > "JSCHLADE"
                          > <jschlade@y...> wrote:
                          >> When you took your ghost image of hda1 and restored it to your new
                          >> drive, did you make that partition bootbable?
                          >>
                          >> I'm trying to upgrade to a LS II 160 to a 320G hard drive. If you
                          > don't
                          >> have your partition table defined on your new drive, do you need to
                          >> create it before you restore from your ghost images?
                          >>
                          >> Thanks,
                          >> John
                          >>
                          >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                          >> "lb_worm"
                          > <bobateiger@h...>
                          >> wrote:
                          >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                          >> > "-/\\-"
                          >> <lifeisfuneh@h...>
                          > with
                          >> 400GB

                          >> > Yes, I used ghost to clone my 120GB to a 300GB. However, you
                          > will
                          >> > still only have a 120GB ish hda3 drive. You will need to re-
                          >> partition
                          >> > the drive to gain all of the space available from the 400GB. I
                          >> removed
                          >> > hda3 and hda4 and let the Linkstation do the rest when it booted
                          > up.
                          >> > It created a 70MB hda4 and the rest was allocated to hda3.
                          >
                          > You can just ghost all the partitions if you wish. I did not change
                          > any of the partition options when I cloned them: I did not
                          > specfically set or unset the boot option on hda1.
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • lb_worm
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 30, 2005
                            <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:
                            > How did you after the cloning deleted the partition 3 &4 ?
                            > Did you use ghost to do that ?
                            >
                            > "lb_worm" <bobateiger@h...> wrote in
                            > message news:d7d0ph+da72@e...
                            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                            > > "JSCHLADE"
                            > > <jschlade@y...> wrote:
                            > >> When you took your ghost image of hda1 and restored it to your
                            new
                            > >> drive, did you make that partition bootbable?
                            > >>
                            > >> I'm trying to upgrade to a LS II 160 to a 320G hard drive. If you
                            > > don't
                            > >> have your partition table defined on your new drive, do you need
                            > >> create it before you restore from your ghost images?
                            > >>
                            > >> Thanks,
                            > >> John
                            > >>
                            > >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                            > >> "lb_worm"
                            > > <bobateiger@h...>
                            > >> <lifeisfuneh@h...>
                            > > with
                            > >> 400GB

                            > > will
                            > >> partition
                            > >> removed
                            > > up.
                            > >
                            > > You can just ghost all the partitions if you wish. I did not
                            change
                            > > any of the partition options when I cloned them: I did not
                            > > specfically set or unset the boot option on hda1.
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            After I found that I could not extend partition 3 (hda3) I deleted
                            these using cfdisk. The better approach would be to clone the first
                            two partitions (hda1, 2) and re-install the drive int0 the LS and
                            boot it up. Allow the recovery software to see that the drive has
                            changed and perform an auto format.

                            I have since cloned hda1 and 2 to a 340MB drive to use as a diaster
                            recovery drive. The 120GB is now under use elsewhere.
                          • -/\-
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 30, 2005
                              Got it ! - Thanks !

                              "lb_worm" <bobateiger@...> wrote in