Re: Is my Linkstation now a Brick? - 1.46 telnet access

  • banta156
    Message 1 of 11 , May 27 6:52 AM
      Thank you for the reply.
      It actually turned out to be fairly easy to get telnet enabled on
      v1.46. My problems were because I was following the wrong set of
      instructions for my set up.
      For anyone interested...
      The key to making this work was in the symlink. While telnet is
      enabled in version 1.45_13, you merely create a symbolic link, which
      is like a shortcut, in your /share directory to /www and /etc. Now,
      when you upgrade the firmware, you still have access through /share
      to get to the directories mentioned above. From there you just
      create a cgi-bin3 folder, copy the files to the folder, run the
      script and your done.
      Follow the instruction in post # 1072.

      Always remember to turn off enabled firewalls when updating firmware.
      __________
      Banta

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
      <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:
      > Hi Banta,
      > I got an Email from someone else that v1.47 erases the cgi-bin3
      > folder. Frankly I could not remember the exact steps myself
      anymore.
      > I double checked and I do have the V1.46_10 running telnet on my
      Kuro
      > box. I converted it to a LinkStation since the Kuro stuff has not
      > been going anywhere but Debian or Gentoo (not that its a bad
      thing!).
      > I did not remember having that problem. But since I have a serial
      > port connector soldered to my Kuro, I can copy files from
      the //share
      > back into the cgi directory by logging into root from there. So I
      > could have "cheated" and done that.
      > I have not had time to go back and upgrade the box to 1.47 either.
      > I understand they may have made some more directory changes in that
      > one to screw it up some more.
      > If I get a chance I might try the 1.47 trick. If you want to do it
      > right away, add a serial port.
      > Rich
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "banta156"
      <oldtoy@b...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hello,
      > > I could really use some help wth this. Starting with v1.45_13,
      > > had no problems with telnet. I created the script to copy the 3
      > > files back to the proper directories after the update to v1.46.
      > > Tested the script and it ran fine.
      > > Here's the problem, when updating to v1.46, the upgrade deletes
      the
      > > cgi-bin3 folder. I tried to carry out the same script, this time
      > > from cg-bin2, which does not get deleted with the upgrade.
      However,

      LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"

      > > > 1.46??

      > > not