Password for Firmware image.dat 2.05

  • jceklosk
    Message 1 of 11 , May 26, 2005
      All,

      Here is the password form the image.dat (image.dat.zip) for the
      Linkstation version 2.05 firmware:

      "1NIf_2yUOlRDpYZUVNqboRpMBoZwT4PzoUvOPUp6l"

      NOTE: the "'s are NOT part of the password.
    • Trevor
      Message 2 of 11 , May 26, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk" <jceklosk@y...>
        wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > Here is the password form the image.dat (image.dat.zip) for the
        > Linkstation version 2.05 firmware:
        >
        > "1NIf_2yUOlRDpYZUVNqboRpMBoZwT4PzoUvOPUp6l"
        >
        > NOTE: the "'s are NOT part of the password.

        The first one is the same as the Terastation ones so I assume the
        others will be as well. The other 3 possible passwords are:

        aAhvlM1Yp7_2VSm6BhgkmTOrCN1JyE0C5Q6cB3oBB
        YvSInIQopeipx66t_DCdfEvfP47qeVPhNhAuSYmA4
        IeY8omJwGlGkIbJm2FH_MV4fLsXE8ieu0gNYwE6Ty

        Somebody on the terastation.org wiki worked out the passwords.

        - Trevor
      • Trevor
        Message 3 of 11 , May 26, 2005
          wrote:
          > All,
          >
          > Here is the password form the image.dat (image.dat.zip) for the
          > Linkstation version 2.05 firmware:
          >
          > "1NIf_2yUOlRDpYZUVNqboRpMBoZwT4PzoUvOPUp6l"
          >
          > NOTE: the "'s are NOT part of the password.

          Now that you've got the passwords, it is easy to hack a Linkstation
          without having to remove drives or rely on any bugs in the web
          interface. Please be thoughtful for Buffalo however and don't try to
          return Linkstations you've killed with a bad custom firmware however
          as you're not meant to hack them at all. If you want to experiment
          then buy a Kuro Box. We don't want annoy Buffalo enough to implement
          a stronger security system regarding firmware upgrades.

          - Trevor
        • irvine_stock
          Message 4 of 11 , May 26, 2005
            Hi Trevor,
            We have been waiting for the password for a year!
            This would open up all sorts of possibilities on the LS.
            However I could not get any of the passwords to work on my LinkStation
            files.
            Do you or anybody else know what password works with what commands to
            extract the files? I assume a zip generation would be similar.
            I can see why it couldn't be cracked easily. Its huge....
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Trevor" <tman_yahoo@t...>
            wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk"
            <jceklosk@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > All,
            > >
            > > Here is the password form the image.dat (image.dat.zip) for the
            > > Linkstation version 2.05 firmware:
            > >
            > > "1NIf_2yUOlRDpYZUVNqboRpMBoZwT4PzoUvOPUp6l"
            > >
            > > NOTE: the "'s are NOT part of the password.
            >
            > The first one is the same as the Terastation ones so I assume the
            > others will be as well. The other 3 possible passwords are:
            >
            > aAhvlM1Yp7_2VSm6BhgkmTOrCN1JyE0C5Q6cB3oBB
            > YvSInIQopeipx66t_DCdfEvfP47qeVPhNhAuSYmA4
            > IeY8omJwGlGkIbJm2FH_MV4fLsXE8ieu0gNYwE6Ty
            >
            > Somebody on the terastation.org wiki worked out the passwords.
            >
            > - Trevor
          • balimbabullabe
            Message 5 of 11 , May 27, 2005
              > Here is the password form the image.dat (image.dat.zip) for the
              > Linkstation version 2.05 firmware:

              There are some funny coincidences: the guys stumble over the same
              website ;-)

              I used our new knowledge to change the stock firmware and add a telnet
              daemon. You can find the steps in the hacking howto. If you don't want
              to do this all on your own there is an already finished zip file
              available on my website which has all the files you need inside.

              But as always: be careful with what you do, what worked for me does
              not necessarily have to work for you.

              I start the upload now, as soon as I'm done I will add the link to the
              mentioned zip.
              Message 6 of 11 , May 27, 2005
                Did we ever find out the passwords for the other firmwares?

                How are we finding these out? I looked through a dump of the setup
                program and didn't find anything that looks like this (a string this
                long of chars that can be typed in using a standard US keyboard).

                wrote:
                > All,
                >
                > Here is the password form the image.dat (image.dat.zip) for the
                > Linkstation version 2.05 firmware:
                >
                > "1NIf_2yUOlRDpYZUVNqboRpMBoZwT4PzoUvOPUp6l"
                >
                > NOTE: the "'s are NOT part of the password.
              • James Ronald
                Message 7 of 11 , May 27, 2005
                  The password does work for extracting the 2.04 Linkstation Firmware but not
                  the 1.45_13 Linkstation Firmware. I just tried it out of curiosity.

                  JR

                  > Did we ever find out the passwords for the other firmwares?
                  >
                  > How are we finding these out? I looked through a dump of the setup
                  > program and didn't find anything that looks like this (a string this
                  > long of chars that can be typed in using a standard US keyboard).
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk" <jceklosk@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  >> All,
                  >>
                  >> Here is the password form the image.dat (image.dat.zip) for the
                  >> Linkstation version 2.05 firmware:
                  >>
                  >> "1NIf_2yUOlRDpYZUVNqboRpMBoZwT4PzoUvOPUp6l"
                  >>
                  >> NOTE: the "'s are NOT part of the password.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • jceklosk
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 28, 2005
                    There was a posting on this group about passwords for the Terastation
                    firmwares (same type of device, just RAIDed).
                    So I googled using them and found the page.
                    I only found the one for the linkstation 2.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 28, 2005
                      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                      > How are we finding these out? I looked through a dump of the setup
                      > program and didn't find anything that looks like this (a string this
                      > long of chars that can be typed in using a standard US keyboard).

                      The password isn't in the setup program you run on your PC. It's
                      actually in a binary on the device itself where it decrypts and
                      uncompresses the ZIP file. To make it even annoying, they use a very
                      trivial obfuscation method on the password strings in the binary.

                      It appears the Terastation passwords are only valid on the newer v2.x
                      Linkstations and they used a different system or set of passwords for
                      the old v1.x Linkstations. Somebody needs to look at the v1.x
                      ap_servd/ls_servd to see what they're doing.

                      - Trevor
                    • TechHeavy
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 29, 2005
                        > Somebody needs to look at the v1.x
                        > ap_servd/ls_servd to see what they're doing.

                        Here you go: http://www.sowbug.org/mt/archives/000179.html
                      • jceklosk
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 29, 2005
                          I confirmed this password is OK for the Link 1 LS 14* firmwares

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "TechHeavy"