Re: Will a given binary run (Perforce)?

  • mphoust2
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2004
      Excellent news! I may just give it a try. If I buy it from newegg,
      I suspect I can return it if the experiment is a complete failure (and
      I don't turn it into a brik :).

      The binary I wanted to run is the server (p4d). It takes a command
      line argument to specify the root dir: 'p4d -r /tmp' or something like
      that. It might create some db.* files in that directory.

      The cross-compiler will be great, but I won't have access to the source...

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
      <taubert@g...> wrote:
      > On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:30:39PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
      > > All,
      > >
      > > I am interested in running a source code control system called
      > > perforce on the LinkStation. It looks like a promising fit. The
      > > progam supports Linux PPC 2.4.18. The vendor says it was built with:
      > > o Mandrake 8.2
      > > o gcc 2.95.3
      > > o glibc 2.2.4
      > >
      > > Any idea on if this will have a snowball's shot at running in the
      > > LinkStation? I hate to buy the box and find out there is some
      > > mysterious reason it won't run.
      >
      > It may very well work. glibc is 2.2.3 on the LinkStation.
      >

      > > Is there anyone willing to download the executable and run a smoke
      > > test? It is available from the vendor's site as a simple file (the
      > > p4d server). I really just need to see if the program loads.
      > >
      > > http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/linux24ppc.html
      >
      > You want to run the server on the LinkStation, yes?
      >

      > > Or should I just pony up the $250 and give it a shot myself? (I want
      > > this to replace a 6 yr-old laptop running Red Hat). I don't mind
      > > spending the time to figure things out, but I would hate to get stuck
      > > in a situation that requires access to the source code to fix it. Not
      > > likely with a commercial package :(.
      >
      > I should have a cross and native compiler that will work with the
      > LinkStation RSN...
      >
      > Derek
      >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Derek Taubert
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2004
        That binary passed the laugh test:

        # uname -a
        Linux HD-HLANA09 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #990 2004ǯ 5�� 21�� ������ 13:39:00 JST ppc unknown
        #./p4d -h
        Usage:

        p4d [ options ]
        p4d -j? [ -z ] [ args ... ]

        The first form starts the Perforce server.
        The second form performs checkpoint/journaling operations.

        Server options:
        -d run as a daemon (fork first, then run)
        -f run as single-threaded server
        -i run for inetd (socket on stdin/stdout)
        -q suppress startup messages
        -s run as an NT service (or invoke as p4s)
        -xi switch server database to Unicode mode and quit
        -xu run database upgrades and quit

        Checkpointing options:
        -c cmd lock tables, run command, and exit
        -jc [ prefix ] checkpoint, then save and truncate journal
        -jd [ file ] checkpoint without saving/truncating journal
        -jj [ prefix ] save and truncate journal
        -jr file restore incrementally from file
        -z gzip checkpoint/journals

        General Options:
        -h -? print this message
        -V print server version

        -J journal set journal file (default $P4JOURNAL, 'journal')
        -J off turn off journalling
        -L log set error log (default $P4LOG, stderr)
        -p port set listen port (default $P4PORT, 1666)
        -r root set server root directory (default $P4ROOT)
        -v level debug modes (default $P4DEBUG)

        # ./p4d -V
        Perforce - The Fast Software Configuration Management System.
        Copyright 1995, 2002 Perforce Software. All rights reserved.
        Rev. P4D/LINUX24PPC/2003.1/46608 (2003/08/12).
        License: none

        Derek

        On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:02:29PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
        > Excellent news! I may just give it a try. If I buy it from newegg,
        > I suspect I can return it if the experiment is a complete failure (and
        > I don't turn it into a brik :).
        >
        > The binary I wanted to run is the server (p4d). It takes a command
        > line argument to specify the root dir: 'p4d -r /tmp' or something like
        > that. It might create some db.* files in that directory.
        >
        > The cross-compiler will be great, but I won't have access to the source...
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
        > <taubert@g...> wrote:
        > > On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:30:39PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
        > > > All,
        > > >
        > > > I am interested in running a source code control system called
        > > > perforce on the LinkStation. It looks like a promising fit. The
        > > > progam supports Linux PPC 2.4.18. The vendor says it was built with:
        > > > o Mandrake 8.2
        > > > o gcc 2.95.3
        > > > o glibc 2.2.4
        > > >
        > > > Any idea on if this will have a snowball's shot at running in the
        > > > LinkStation? I hate to buy the box and find out there is some
        > > > mysterious reason it won't run.
        > >
        > > It may very well work. glibc is 2.2.3 on the LinkStation.
        > >

        > > > Is there anyone willing to download the executable and run a smoke
        > > > test? It is available from the vendor's site as a simple file (the
        > > > p4d server). I really just need to see if the program loads.
        > > >
        > > > http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/linux24ppc.html
        > >
        > > You want to run the server on the LinkStation, yes?
        > >

        > > > Or should I just pony up the $250 and give it a shot myself? (I want
        > > > this to replace a 6 yr-old laptop running Red Hat). I don't mind
        > > > spending the time to figure things out, but I would hate to get stuck
        > > > in a situation that requires access to the source code to fix it. Not
        > > > likely with a commercial package :(.
        > >
        > > I should have a cross and native compiler that will work with the
        > > LinkStation RSN...
        > >
        > > Derek
        > >

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • mphoust2
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2004
          Great news. Looks like I get to order one while the rebate offer still
          holds. I will post with my results.

          Thanks a lot Derek!

          BTW, I use perforce for source control because it has a free 2 user
          license and is much easier to setup/use than the other free alternatives.

          I don't want a noisy 300 watt space heater (aka PC) running in my
          study 24/7 :). The LinkStation looks like a good replacement.